Chapter 44: Due Date

It had been a few months since Dean hid Jane's gift and Gabriel had been spending some time with them due to Sam's due date closing in on them. It was early in the morning and Dean had spent the previous night getting plastered because it was the Fourth of July so why not? Abruptly Dean's phone started ringing louding disrupting the peace of the silent room. Castiel groaned at the sudden noise because he too was hung over. Dean had convinced him to drink both their body weights combined in whiskey because he wanted to see how much it would take him to get drunk. Dean rolled over and answered the phone quickly putting it on speaker. "What?!" Groaned Dean as he rolled over hugging onto Castiel.
"Dean it's time. Sam went into labor." Said Gabriel over the phone. "I would've come to tell you in person but Sam didn't want me to leave him." Said Gabriel as Sam groaned out of pain in the background.
"We should get up." Mumbled Castiel as Dean sighed.
"I know." He groaned as he then took a breath and slowly sat up. They got dressed and Castiel went to go help with Sam while Dean went and checked on the girls. The girls were fast asleep so Dean went to check on Sam and overheard that Castiel would be delivering the child. "Cas! Can we talk for a second?!" Growled Dean as he stood in the doorway to Sam's room. Castiel walked over and the two stood in the hallway to talk.
"Cas are you sure you can do this?" Asked Dean as he seemed worried.
"I delivered Mary just fine." Said Castiel in a confused tone.
"Well what if that was just a one time thing?" Asked Dean as he grasped Castiel's hand. "Look if something goes wrong I just don't want Sam to put the blame on you." Said Dean in a caring tone.
"You're worried about what Chuck said, that without his essence this child would die." Said Castiel as he Dean nodded. "So am I. It's too late to tell Sam the truth but in case please tell Gabriel what we know so he can explain that if the child doesn't make it that it's not his fault." Said Castiel kindly as Dean was reminded to his brother's fragile mental state so if this child did perish than Sam would blame himself over everyone else involved.

Dean pulled Gabriel out of the room but just couldn't tell him. "Ya know I don't have all day Dean!" Barked Gabriel anxious to be by Sam's side. Dean couldn't do it, he couldn't shatter what small bit of happiness the two of them had.
"Ya know what nevermind. Go be with Sammie I'm sure he needs it." Said Dean faking a smile as Gabriel rolled his eyes at Dean wasting his time.

Hours passed and as Sam toughed out the grueling process of giving birth Dean started to wonder if not telling his brother the truth was really the best option. "You're doing great Sam." Cooed Gabriel brushing his hair out of his face as Sam breathed heavily and he sweat profusely, he was tired that fact was clear to everyone.
"Dean!" Sam called with a deep breath as Dean was sitting on the floor outside the room. He had his head in his hands but when he heard Sam call out to him he lifted his head and stood. He hesitated on turning the corner into the room but he swallowed his fear and went in. He saw Sam was just as scared as he was but for a different reason. "D-Dean I'm scared." Stuttered out Sam as Dean went and sat next to him holding his brother's hand.
"Hey, hey, remember what I would do to distract you from pain?" Asked Dean as it was emotionally painful to see his brother doing all this work for nothing.
"Argh! You'd tell a stupid joke." Grumbled Sam through a contraction as he gritted his teeth wanting to push but knowing it wasn't time.
"Yeah ok, look at me. Knock knock." Said Dean as Sam looked at him and Dean smiled as a tear rolled down his face.
"Who's-" Asked Sam as Castiel told him to push. "AAARGH!" Called out Sam as Dean smiled.
"You got this Sammie!" Cheered on Dean with a faked grin. Through the hole ordeal Dean hoped he was wrong, that Chuck was wrong but with the last push he was proven right.
"Castiel is everything alright?" Asked Gabriel as he and Sam started to worry but Castiel was silent. "Castiel!" Barked Gabriel as he sighed.
"I'm sorry, the child is dead. He's been dead a long time." Said Castiel as he took a towel and wrapped up the dead infant not wanting either of them to see their son.

After that Gabriel and Sam wanted to be alone with the body so Dean and Castiel left and sat in the war room. "Did you see the look on their faces Cas? Their crushed!" Stated Dean as he hung his head.
"I don't think we could've changed that Dean." Said Castiel suprisingly calm. "I think we would've just made things worse telling them what we know." Stated Castiel with a sigh as he placed his hand on Dean's. "Just don't beat yourself up about this Dean." Stated Castiel as Dean held Castiel's hand.

Eventually Sam and Gabriel came out leaving the body in Sam's room. While Dean explained to Sam that Chuck had told them why this wouldn't work and the child would die Mary and Jane got curious. "The poor thing is dead." Stated Jane as she unwrapped Sam's child. Jane touched the child lightly realising it's biological flaw. "It's missing something we have." Said Jane as her eyes glazed over a pearly white.
"Can we help it?" Asked Mary as Jane's returned to normal.
"You can! I don't have enough to give away but you have a lot more than I do." Said Jane as neither one of them knew exactly what the essence they carried within them was but Jane could tell in small quantities it could transfered and keep something like them that was missing their essence alive because they wouldn't burn through it, though they wouldn't be as powerful and might not have wings they would still be alive and have abilities like Jane and Mary. Jane dug through Sam's drawers and found a pocket knife. "Hey wanna hear a joke?" Asked Jane as Mary nodded being oblivious to her sister's real intention. "Why'd the chicken cross the road?" Asked Jane as she flipped open the knife and took Mary's hand.
"I don't know." Said Mary as Jane then slit her hand which shattered the knife as soon as there was an open wound. "Ow!" She winced as her sister squeezed the wound just before it closed up, dropping a little bit of her sister's blood into the infant's mouth. Suddenly he started to twitch and then burst out crying, he was alive.