Chapter fifty five - This is it.

Dedicated to @bhargaviiit for her generous votes! The wattpad app on my phone didn't work efficiently but it does now so I can see who's been voting and commenting frequently and give dedications like I used to do! Also, I would like to make a point which I haven't done before but I always welcome fanart and love to show it off to everyone. The fanart on the side is created by @ItsKirstyBitchess. It's a sims version of Holland, Sherlock, Harrison and Mycroth! Thanks for making it, Kirsty!

Enjoy :)

"Careful now -- watch your step." 

I plaster a smile when I'm in the familiar living room of 221B. It had been a while since I had been here, since I was in the hospital. But now I was back and couldn't be more happier.

I practically had to order John not to come back here with me this morning, and that Sherlock could take care of me. John and Mary could always visit later, I didn't want them missing any days off work just to make sure I was settling in okay.

"It's so nice to have you back, dear." Mrs Hudson spoke up happily, helping me to take off my coat. "Would you like any tea?"

"That'd be lovely." I smiled in return.

"Alright then, I'll go hang your coat up and get right on the job. Might be a bit late though if Amelia wakes up and starts wailing a way again." She chuckled and turned on her heels before walking out of the room. Mrs Hudson occasionally looked after Amelia when John and Mary went to work, and sometimes it was me and Sherlock. Mary and John sometimes work different hours so that one could stay at home with Amelia while the other was at work, and then they'd swap in the afternoon. It was a very organised schedule, one I would find very difficult to follow if I were in the situation considering I'm very bad at sticking to plans on time. Heck, I lost count how many times I was late to work when I worked as an vet.

Once Mrs Hudson left I turned to face Sherlock and gave him a small smile. "Well, it's nice to be back."

"Mhm." Sherlock mumbled. I didn't know how to respond to that. Recently he had been... distant. Like he was avoiding me, even if I was in the same room. He rarely started conversations with me, and gave me simple responses when I tried to start conversations with him. I just passed it off that Sherlock felt bad for me that I got shot. I know he isn't good with expressing his feelings, so he wouldn't tell me that himself.  

"So, I suppose your birthday was pretty shitty." I chuckled quietly, attempting to make the atmosphere less awkward and more positive. "I didn't even give you a good gift."

"I don't care about my birthday."

"Alright, fine. Whatever." I replied, sighing. I then slowly staggered towards the fireplace and extend my arm out to grab the pile of mail Sherlock had placed next to the fraudulent skull I named Steve. "Oh, you didn't read any mail?"

"No, I read them."

"There are bills in this pile."

Sherlock shrugged. I exhaled deeply and chucked the mail back onto the shelf of the fireplace with a loud clap, causing Sherlock to snap his attention towards me. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I frown, "I just came out of hospital from being shot. The least I deserve is a little respect from you to acknowledge the fact that I'm your girlfriend who needs a little emotional support, or at least acknowledge the fact that I'm in the same bloody room as you!"

"We can't date any more." Sherlock promptly said, like he just wanted to say it to get it over and done with. I raise my brows with shock and pull a facial expression that probably read 'the hell?'. 

"...What?"

"You heard me."

"You... you seriously want to end things now? After what I just said?"

Sherlock paused for a moment. "I can't..."

"Can't what?"

I don't get a response.

"Sherlock."

"I can't see you get hurt." Sherlock finally admitted, his face falling. He looked at me like a sad puppy. "I hate how much I care, Holland. I really do. These... feelings. It's too much. I don't want you to get hurt because of me. If I never came back all those years ago, you wouldn't have been dragged into my world. Everyone who hates me know how much I care for you, and John, and Mary and all the others and it's dangerous, Holly. Can't you see that? We can't be together."

I just stand there, staring at him with my lips slightly parted. My heart was beating like a drum and I swear it could've popped out of my chest like it did in the cartoons. What Sherlock said, it was a lot to process. 

"You saved me."

Sherlock looked at me as if I was being stupid. "What?"

"If you never showed up, Dan would've still kidnapped me and most likely killed me."

"Don't be so--"

"It's the truth." I cut him off. "You may not see it, but I do. We need each other, Sherlock. Just like how John needs Mary. You saved my life, and you've made me a better person. A much more confident, and patient woman. I was unexpectedly dragged into this crazy life of yours, and I'm so happy that I was. And I don't care what bullshit you try to pull but I know that you've changed too. So don't you see? We can be together. But only if you're willing. What happens to me is my fault, not yours."

Sherlock swallowed thickly and glanced at the ceiling for a short moment, as if he was searching for a sense of courage. "I don't want to be with you, Holland."

My face fell. I didn't reply for a few seconds. "Sherlock..."

"I'm sorry, I cant be with you. It's just easier this way." He said, looking at me. But instead of looking sad, he looked much more confident. As if he was trying to get me to believe that he didn't want to be with me, but I knew deep down he wanted too. 

"So, this is it then?" I questioned, trying to keep the tears in. He nodded, and looked down towards the floor with his hands behind his back.

"I'm sorry, Holland."

"You cant even look me in the eyes and tell me that." I scoffed and grabbed John and Mary's spare house keys of the shelf above the fireplace. I then quickly walked towards the door, although it hurt to. Even though I got shot and it hurt to do various things, I was pretty sure I was capable to go outside and hail a cab.  "Yeah, well give me a call when our relationship becomes convenient enough for you." I muttered before slamming the door behind me. Mrs Hudson was walking up the stairs with a tray in her hands when I gently pushed past her, and she stopped to ask me what was wrong but I ignored her. I opened the door and let the cool, February air hit the flesh of my face, and it instantly made me feel much better when I felt the heat from my red cheeks die down a little. I shut the door behind me and raised my hand to call a taxi, and I never looked back.