Chapter seven - Samuel Abbott.

It was difficult to explain how I managed to find the child abductors home. I had some help from Sherlock and even I didn't really understand how he figured it out. I just went with it and told Lestrade what we had found out- except that he thought I did it. We're not sure if the child abductor even lives here anymore, but it was worth a try. I phoned the papers and said I wanted to give a tip to the guy who delivered the papers at night, who's name was Samuel Abbott. His was was also on the exterminator employees list.

Me, Lestrade, Erin, Donovan and yet again, two other police men who I had no idea what their names were, are in the back of a van watching live video footage from police officers who were going inside the apartment of Samuel Abbott's, as some had video recorders attached to them, recording live to show us what was happening and also recording it as evidence. Some climbed through windows while some went through doors while carrying guns, muttering clear to other police men who were following them.

"Abbott's mother is listed as the owner of the apartment, but she died six months ago. He put it as his home address the last time he renewed his driver's license." Erin says, not looking away from the screens that played the CCTV.

I continue to look at the screen as we see the police men look into every room. They finish searching the place a few minutes , and one of the officers who was recording started to speak, "The place is clear, we got nothing."

"What was that?" Lestrade asks, noticing something the camera had picked up, "Head back into that room."

"Copy that." The police man holds up his gun and walks into the room he just passed. He walks in and we all see helium balloons that are hanging on the ceiling. We see more police men enter the room as the one police man with the camera walks up towards the balloons. On the balloons it says 'Congrats' and 'Well done', like they were brought from a shop in order for a celebration, and it has something connected to the strings.

"Congrats." I mutter, suddenly it becomes clear. Everyone in the van continues to stare at the balloons shown on the screen.

"To who?"

"To us," I tell them, "For finding his place."

"Whats that on the Balloon? Can you bring it me?" Lestrade asks the police men through the walkie talkie.

"Yes, sir."

The police man takes something off the Balloon that seems to be a USB drive. We all wait in the van patiently while the police men come rushing out of the apartment. The back of the van doors finally open and we see the police man we were talking too, handing us a USB drive. We take it from him and plug it into the computer in van and look at the screen while waiting for it to load. A mans face shows, and a video starts playing. We all stare at the screen and watch silently.

"You have something that's mine. You have Joe. You know who I am and you know what I can do," The man starts, and I automatically presume its the child abductor which seems like the only logical explanation, as the guy literally admits it. He looked tired and had bags under his dark brown eyes. He also had the traces of stubble as he didn't shave, and he visibly looked pissed off but also looked like he was in pain. "I've already killed six people. If you haven't released my son back to me by noon tomorrow, you can make it seven." He pauses, and turns the camera to face a crying child. Its the Castillo's daughter.

The video ends, and me and Lestrade exchange a worried glance, before he unplugs the USB, "Alright, lets go back to Scotland's Yard."

At his command, we all start heading back to Scotland's Yard. I watch out the window as the other police men get into the two police vans that were parked outside Abbotts apartment. It seemed stupid that they got all geared up only to walk into an empty appartment just to find some balloons and a USB, but better safe than sorry. I guess, actually, it was worth it. Now that we know what Abbott looks like and what he's planning on doing.

As soon as we get to Scotland's Yard the Castillo's immediatly run up to us. Their faces mixed with hope and confusion, "Where is she? Is she safe?!"

Erin sighs, and glances at me, wondering if I would be the one to tell them. When I don't reply he decides to start to tell them what happened. Their faces were unreadable, but still managed to co-operate. We take them into another room so we could talk privately, just me, Lestrade, Erin and the Castillo's. At first Erin protested in me being here, but the Castillo's insisted that I came. I think I earned their trust when I told them about the media effecting their daughters safety.

"Please, make the trade. Bring us back our daughter."

"I'm afraid it's not that simple, Mrs. Castillo." Lestrade starts.

"The department can't trade one victim for another." I tell them. They look at me with disbelief. 

"Is that what you really think Joe Summers is? I saw on the news this morning. The police, government- whoever it was, offered him an immunity deal. If he's just a victim, what does he need immunity from?" Mr Castillo questions.

"Given the givens in this case, we felt like we had to offer that deal." Erins begins, "Now, I know the media has broached the possibility of Joe being involved somehow in the child abductor's crimes, but we haven't confirmed any of that yet."

"So how long do we wait for you to confirm something? Hm? An hour, a day, a week? I mean, he just said we only have till noon tomorrow."

Erin was about to say something else but Mrs Castillo cuts him off and starts to speak before he had the chance to, "Has anybody asked Joe Summers what he wants? He's 19- an adult. If he was really some sort of partner to this monster, then isn't it possible that he wants to go back?"

"Victims of horrific abuse are often protective of their abusers. It doesn't mean we should send them back for seconds." I tell them. Lestrade seems irritated at the Castillo's for being like this, but tries hide it nonetheless to be proffessional. 

"No, listen, the immunity deal is on the table." Lestrade tells them, trying to get them to understand the situation Joe was in.

"Then why hasn't he taken it?" Mr Castillo snaps.

"Because he's been traumatized. He's hardly speaking, even to his own parents." 

"Come on," Mr Castillo helps his wife to stand then they walk over to the door. Before he leaves, he turns and stares at Lestrade, "If anything happens to our daughter, your head is the one we're going to be calling for in the press."

Then they leave. 

Lestrade sighs and turns to me and Erin, "Now what?"

"We go back to the files?" I suggest, "We see if there's any clue that we missed as to where Abbott is keeping the girl."

"That's one option."

"You have another?"

"When Joe's parents hired a lawyer, they put a wall between him and the police department. No police can talk to him."

"No police can talk to him? That's interesting." I look up at Lestrade and Erin, a small smirk on my face, "Im not police."

"She has a point," Erin states, folding his arms and looking at Lestrade for a second. He then turns to me with a little smile on his face. Lestrades gives me a look, but he knows I'm right. I'm the only one who could talk to Joe about the situation, as I'm not a police officer.

They sigh, and call someone to bring Joe Summers into the questioning room.