Chapter eight - New help.

I walk into the questioning room and see Joe twiddling with his fingers. He looks drained of energy, like he's been here too many time. He looks up as I enter, and I shut the door behind me, then take a seat opposite him. "Hello, Joe. Thanks for seeing me."

"...You're the only one who gets it."

"Well, you know by now we've identified him, don't you? Samuel Abbott? Are you worried about him?"

"...He's my dad." He whispers. He sounds afraid to speak out loud in case he would start sobbing. He wants to keep the brave look he's been giving out to people, and speaking out loud could ruin that. I wasn't sure why, but whispering seemed easier to communicate better than speaking confidently and clear, because he knew he couldn't speak like that without breaking his guard. I actually felt sorry for him, no one should have to experience what he went through.

"Is that why you've been hesitant to sign the immunity deal?"

"Would you turn in your dad?" He asks.

"My dad? Yeah, I would. I'd trade my dad for a gummy bear, but that's my dad, not yours. The sooner we find him, the better off he'll be. He hasn't hurt Mariana Castillo yet. You loved him... but you didn't love what he did. I can tell." I pause, and my voice becomes quieter, "He did make you help with the others, didn't he?"

He looks up at me but doesn't meet my eyes. His voice comes out as a jagged whisper, like he had something stuck in his throat, "...He's my dad."

"That doesn't mean it wasn't hard. Is that why you didn't want to sign the deal? Because you don't feel you deserve it?"

"I never- I never knew why it was so important to him. But I loved him. And when he asked me to take... help take the others, then I told him I'd do that-"

"It's okay." I cut in, trying to calm him down as he began to panic.

"No, it isn't. Nothing's okay. I'm so confused, I don't know what I'm supposed to do." He brings his hand to his forehead and rubs it slightly, thinking. He sniffs, "You told me the other day that you'd never lie to me."

"That's right."

"So tell me. If I sign that deal, and if I tell you where you can find him, do you think it'll make up for the things I've done?"

I pause for a moment and think about what to tell him. If I say the truth, it could lead to him not sighing the immunity deal, and could lead to him not telling him where Samuel Abbott is. But I told him I would never lie. So I tell him the truth, in the nicest way possible, "No, I don't. Six other children are dead, thanks to your dad. To whatever degree you assisted him, you will never get their blood off your hands." 

He looks down and tightly closes his eyes in shame and regret. My face softens, and I try to say something to make him feel better- if that was possible.

"But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try."

He stays as he is, still looking down at the table. He's like that for a few seconds, then looks up at me. At first he seems hesitant, but then he starts to speak, "...Okay. I'll sign the papers... I'll tell you where we live, that's where you'll find the girl."

Joe tell's me where Samuel is, then I tell him I would ask Officer Erin to bring in the papers for him to sign. I give him a warm smile, "Thank you, Joe." I stand up and walk towards the door. I turn around, and see him staring at the table again, "You've done the right thing. You're safe now."

He doesn't reply. I look down towards the floor for a second, then leave the room. I can't help but pity the boy, it wasn't his fault that his life was like this. It was Samuel Abbott's, for taking him away from his parents at such a young age. I go to Erin first, and tell him to bring the immunity deal to Joe so he could sigh it, then I head towards Lestrade's office to tell him what Joe had told me. I knock on his door but walk in straight after anyway, and to my surprise, I see John.

"John?"

"Hey, Holly," John smiles.

"What are you doing here?"

"He wants to help out with the case." Lestrade answers for me. I nod, and still stare at John, wondering why he wants to start helping now, since the case is nearly solved. He understands my stare and continues.

"Well, Mary is at home and Sherlock won't let me help with whatever he's doing, and I'm not at work for two months because I've been given a Paternity leave to spend time with our daughter once she's born. I figured I'd help you out for the time being, since I haven't got much to do until then." John tells me, "...It'll be different without Sherlock, though." He says again, and he sounds disappointed. He turns to face Lestrade, "I can understand if you don't want me here. I know I don't work here and all, and I know I can't just come here when I'm bored. But I'd love to help, if you want."

"The only reason you two are here is because you were here when Sherlock was. Sherlock was smart, he could solve the ones we couldn't." Lestrade starts, "You two helped him, even if he disagrees, I know he couldn't have solved the cases without you. Which is why you're allowed here, and I think Holland is proving me right so far."

"You want us here, really." I smirk, and walk forward towards his desk, "So, I have some news..."

"About your talk with Joe?"

"Yep." I say, popping out the 'p'.

"Well?" John questions, waiting for me to carry on.

"He's told me he would sigh the deal," I begin, glancing at John and then at Lestrade, "He's also told me where Samuel Abbott is."