𝑡 ℎ 𝑟 𝑒 𝑒

chapter 3

·Cassandra·

"How was work?" Dad asked quietly as I placed my backpack near the couch and took a seat a few inches away from him. "Nice of Julia to give you a ride home, heard there's a storm coming," He mumbled flipping threw the newspaper.

"Dad, I can't work at the hotel anymore." I told him straight up just as thunder clapped in the distance. He didn't look up from his newspaper, nothing in that old thing was that important.

"Did you get fired?" He asked and I waited awhile to answer.

"No,"

"Then, of course you can," He replied. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Dad, that place is terrible. My boss is irritating, and I'm barely getting time to actually focus on school. Didn't you see what I got on finals? I need to leave the job, and start to focus on what's important..."

"This, right here, around you, is what's important. So your staying. How could you be so selfish? You know your mama is sick-"

"Mama isn't sick! She's a drunk!" I snapped making him lower his paper and glare at me. "And if you really cared, you'd get her help instead of pushing it to the side, and stop pushing her responsibilities on us."

I didn't give him a chance to talk because I grabbed my things and walked up the stairs to get to my room. I passed Mama and Daddy's room, where Mama lay asleep. I thought I would pass Henry's room with nothing but he actually called out to me. I took a few steps back and was met by him focusing on his game with a controller in his hand. "What's up? How was work?" He asked.

"Work, was work." I answered simply.

"Yo boss still being a bitch?" He asked and I nodded. "Damn, his ass need to have a heart attack or something..." My mouth fell open and I let out a weak laugh. "I'm being serious," He replied still focusing on his game.

"Don't say that, Henry. Now what if I show up one day and he actually does have a heart attack?"

"That's not on me. You the one said he eats how people who not from america, think americans eat." Henry scoffed and I took a seat on his bed.

I scrunched my nose in disgust. "Henry. Why yo bed smell like gym socks and Cheerios for?" Without turning to look at me he threw a balled up shirt at me, hitting me directly in the face. I scrunched my nose up in disgust realizing this was the shirt we wore when he played basketball with his friends. "You foreal need to get that under control." I said throwing his shirt somewhere in his messy room.

"Yeah, man whatever. You foreal need to get out my room." He huffed making my laugh out a little bit.

"Fine." I said getting up bringing my backpack along with me. "Close the door behind you," Henry called after me. I did what he asked and went to my room. Closing the door, I immediately collapsed on the bed exhausted.

After laying there for a moment soaking up the comfort of my own bed I pulled out my phone from pocket and opened Snapchat. I swiped threw a few people's story which was mostly tiktok's, a few people smoking, some guys showing off their guns, some fights, girl filming their seafood, girls twerking on other people, and some parties.

I was almost about to exit Snapchat until the girl who I met earlier story popped up.

Did I mention the girl gave me her Snapchat before she left with a guy I assumed was her brother? She told me her name was Hailey. I told her she had a pretty name, and she made some overly confident remark about how everything about her was pretty. I rolled my eyes and exchange for her snapchat, I gave her my number. She was smooth as hell, when she wasn't being a immature, insufferable, asshole.

She told me she would call me whenever. I replied with a 'I'd rather you not call at all,' then she rolled her eyes and her tongue did that click again and said 'It's ok, bae. I know you rather fuck me. But I have standards.' If you would have asked how I handled that earlier I would have said there was nothing to handle all nonchalantly and shit. But the truth is I was a stuttering mess. I haven't stuttered that much since the 1st grade. She left with her brother, I think his name was Andre or something. I could see the resemblance.
They said they had a plane to catch and Hailey complained about being jet lagged. So they kind of leaned on my theory that she had an accent from somewhere. The accent I forgot to mention.

I was hesitant but I did eventually press it. First there was a short video of her brother asleep in the airport.

Tap

Then there was a picture she posted from her memories, dated this day a year ago. She was sitting at a bar eating ice cream with some girl.

Tap.

A picture of her arriving in Wisconsin.

Tap,

A picture dated three years ago today with her holding some boy by the neck, both tongues dangerously close together, as they threw up middle fingers to the camera. She looked young as hell in this picture.

Tap,

A picture of her flipping off the camera as she stood in front of a microphone in what looked like the hotel rooms.

Tap

Last snap was a picture dated 'july 6th 2019' the camera captured her wearing a pair of Jordan 11's stepping on a lot of money. She captioned it 'i used to be dumb as hell (no pun intended lil hoe)'

I guess she met no pun intended because her snap user was lilsatanhell3xxx6.

Mama used to tell me to stay away from people who enjoyed the devil and his menacing, evil ways, but it's 2021 and I'm gay.

Things change.

I don't remember when I fell asleep but I did remember changing into some pajamas and turning the TV to some random Netflix show before falling asleep. My thoughts being occupied by the pretty girl from the hotel, and the question in my mind now was if she would even end up calling.