𝑡 ℎ 𝑖 𝑟 𝑡 𝑦 𝑛 𝑖 𝑛 𝑒

chapter thirty nine

Cassandra's pov

"Mom, she's literally bringing him over to hang out. It's not like he's here to stay. I don't know why you're so upset 'cause Dad told me it was fine." Hailey shrugged, holding the baby swing in place as Andre screwed the last few screws in.

"Oh, did he?" Fantasia glared over at Duke who was finishing paperwork at the table.

He looked up at the brown haired woman and met her eyes with an uneasy look. "How could we say no? It would be how you say.. unwise? To, um, leave the child out in the cold." Duke replied, throwing his hands in the air. Hailey said he only worked his accent when he was in trouble or wanted to get out of parking tickets.

Fantasia just sighs and crosses her arm over her chest. "I don't want that girl in my house, Hailey."

"That's fine. She'll drop him off and leave." Hailey said.

Andre and her then proceeded to go over to the crib they had built over the span of two hours to make sure it was secure.

"I kinda get what she means though. That girl did so much shit to you and now you up here building a crib for her baby. The baby who deadass only exists because she wanted to be sure you'd have no reason to break up with her." Jalen says and Hailey groans, throwing her head back in annoyance.

"This isn't about her. It's about Dimitri. She's not making me do anything I don't want to do." Hailey breathes out and me and Fantasia exchange looks. They been going at it since eight o'clock in the morning and it look like ain't no getting through to her.

"Let's just think about it as if you're babysitting a friend's child-" Fantasia starts but Hailey cuts her off.

"Because that's what's going on..."

"You better watch it. You are not too old to get popped in the mouth." She warns.

"CPS on speed dial"

"Let them take you." Fantasia replies unbothered.

"They'll drop her off by nine." Duke mumbles, taking a sip of his coffee and Hailey's eyebrows shoot up.

"Are you guys saying I'm annoying?"

"Hailey, you know good and well you're annoying.." Andre says.

"This is news to me honestly." Hailey furrows her eyebrows.

Two more hours passed and now it's just me and Hailey sitting in the living room watching Tv. Fantasia and Duke left for work. I know Duke does soundtracks for anime films and shows but I don't know what Fantasia does. Andre's in his room, Eric went to pick up Dahlia, and Jalen went to go meet up with Rosie, Kash, and everybody else. So it was just us on the couch. Hailey had turned to She-Ra on Netflix and made us acai bowls. We fell asleep watching it last night and she was talking about it all morning earlier. It really is a good show.

"This tastes really weird," I mumbled, dipping my finger in the small cup of poi she gave me.

"You're supposed to eat that with the salmon I gave you, bae. It's been sitting for a while so it's sour, but that's normal." She explains and I nod.

"Do you like Hawaiian food better than American food?" I asked and she nodded quickly.

"For sure. Hawaiian food is what I grew up on. Before I went vegan-"

"You ate meat before?" I asked and her eyes went wide. "Yooo, chill.." She smiled and I laughed, shaking my head.

"No, no, no, I didn't mean it like that."