𝑓 𝑖 𝑣 𝑒

chapter 5

Cassandra pov

"Are you doing anything important Friday?" Francesca, a girl who shares 8th period with me ask. I'm not doing anything important on Friday. I don't really know Francesca like that, I used to have a crush on her freshman year but it never went anywhere because I didn't say anything. I don't regret saying anything because I'm not even sure we would have things in common.

"Uh, no. I don't." I said pushing the school door open and exited just as the bell rang. Finally, it's time to go home. "Do you?" I ask looking over at her.

"Yeah, I'm throwing a party. I was actually wondering if you wanted to come, most of the school is." Francesca asked as she stopped walking which made me stopped walking. "I wanted to ask you earlier but y'know..." She trails off. I actually don't know. We both stand there looking stupid as hell at this point. Mostly me though. I didn't know whether to decline her invitation or accept it.

I've never been to a white teenage party come to think. I don't really get out much and if I do Asia from my 4th and 6th period basically forces me out my house. Those parties are full of black people, not that white people weren't allowed to come, just that the party was in a predominantly black neighborhood and you really didn't see a lot of white people living there.

Asia said it was good to be around my own people because I only hang out with white people. That isn't true and I try to explain it to her but we just end up getting drunk and fleeing the party after some boys start shooting it up. It's always the same 2 shots. I'm starting to believe, Melvin, the AP kid who hosts the party at his house, does that on purpose so people can get out of his shit. Me, Asia, and her group of friends always end up getting the hell out of there and getting Taco Bell. Asia's actually really nice, all her friends are really nice actually, I have to remind myself to hang out with them more.

"I mean if you don't want to go-" Francesca voice snaps me out of my trance of eating taco bell drunk as hell in a parking lot.

"No, no, no, no!" I say quickly. "It's okay. I'll go, I'll be happy to go." I say with a small smile.

"Really? Your parents will be okay with it?" She asked with a smile of her own and suddenly my smile disappears. No, they won't. I have to sneak out, just like when I go with Asia, and make sure to get back before they know I'm gone. Or I can just make something up, but I'm a terrible liar. I need to practice.

"Yeah, they will." I smile hoping it was convincing.

Look at me, practicing already.

"Oh, that's awesome!" She smiles wrapping her arms around me for a hug. I'm actually in too much shock to hug her back, and she steps away before I can redeem myself. Oh well. "It's gonna be great. I'm sure everyone will have a great time. Do you have Instagram or something, so I can DM you the location?"

"Uh, yeah, I do." I say pulling out my phone and handing it to her so she could add herself. After she's done she hands it me, says goodbye, and we go our separate ways. I'm most definitely not looking forward to sneak out Friday night. I could have just said no but I didn't have plans. I walk a couple blocks to the bus stop, I would have asked Julia for a ride but she has after school for like 45 minutes.

I pulled my phone out as I still down on the bus stop bench. I ask Julia if she wants to go to the diner after and she responds with a 'yeah'. After like 10 minutes the bus pulls up and I pull out my Bus card and board it, taking a seat next to some old lady and I assume her grandson.