5.[Where He Is Afraid His Canvas Is Hiding Something]

[Phoebe--- The Following Monday At School]

“You gonna read to me?” I looked up and saw Johnathan trying to talk to Kaitlyn. He had been trying to get her attention since early this morning when she came back to school. She was still coughing and sneezing, just milder.

She shook her head no.

“Why?” He dragged out standing in front her desk. It was reading mat time and Kaitlyn seemed very antisocial today. But I knew Johnathan was the right candidate to get her to perk up. I leaned against my desk trying not to seem like I was digging in their dialogue.

“Please?” He asked and I gasped under my breath knowing saying please was something I couldn’t even get him to do.

“Nuh uh.” She wheezed out and I stood up about to walk over to them but when he threw the book off of her desk I stood still looking to see Kaitlyn’s next move.

Johnthan was always this way. When he wouldn’t get his way he would become very aggressive and angry over the simplest things. The ‘hood’ in him would come out instantly and I knew that was something most students in the class took note of. Frankly he was a bully, a little bully boy in love with Kaitlyn.

“Why you not talking to me Kay Kay?” he asked her and I could see he felt defeated. Maybe she just didn’t want to talk today Johnathan.

“You ‘posed to say, why are you not talking to me Kaitlyn.” She corrected him and I grinned seeing I was rubbing off on her.

“Yeah.” He shrugged, looking down at her.

“I don’t feel good. Leave me alone.” She mumbled lunging over on the desk.

He stared at her and leaned over and picked up the book off the ground, placing it back on the desk.

“I read to you then.” He grumbled and pulled up his desk closer to hers and started reading. Reading was something he hated; Kaitlyn had an effect on this little overly matured boy.

“Jack--- and Jill.” He stopped and I saw that Kaitlyn peeked up from under her arms looking in the book to help him.

“Went. The word is went.” She sneezed and he nodded, looking into the book continuing his deed of reading to her.

He was very smart and so was she, but he struggled with reading, that’s why he hates to read aloud and he always only lets Kaitlyn read for him. I believe it’s because he thinks people will judge him and bully him, and he’s afraid because he knows how mean he can be to other people.

I smiled looking down at them before I issued over to my folder, gathering a coupled papers. I saw my phone was ringing and it was August.

“Hello?” I answered quickly.

“Baybeh. Whatchu doing?” He asked. I rolled my eyes sweetly annoyed with him.