𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴 + 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘤 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞

THE NEXT DAY

''the battle of willow creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own mystic falls. how many causalities resulted in this battle? ms. bennett?'' mr. tanner turned his attention to bonnie for the answer.

the girl looked up bewildered,''um...a lot. i'm not sure. like a whole lot'' she responded earning a few scattered chuckles from the students; phoebe included.

''cute becomes dumb in an instant, ms. bennett...'' mr. tanner shut her down along with the chuckles and moved onto matt,''mr. donovan. would you like to to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?''

''It's okay, mr. tanner, i'm cool with it'' the blonde chuckled to himself, bringing some other students to chuckles too.

mr. tanner then moved onto elena, who distracted from sharing glances/looks with stefan,''elena? surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significantly historic events?''

the gilbert girl only shook her head clueless,''i'm sorry, i-i don't know''.

''i was willing to lenient last year for obvious reasons, elena, but the personal excuses ended with summer break''.

a hard look came across phoebe's face as she getting ready to tell mr. tanner off, but luckily, stefan spoke up before she could,''there were 346 causalities, unless you're counting local civilians''.

''that's correct. mister...'' tanner trailed off waiting for stefan to say his name.

''salvatore'' he answered.

''salvatore. any relation to the original settlers here at mystic falls?''

''distant" stefan nodded his head distinctly.

''well, very good, expect, of course, there were no civilian causalities in this battle''.

''actually, there were 27, sir. confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. they were wrong. it was a night of great loss. the founder's archives are stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts'' stefan remarked causing the class to break out into laughs (phoebe included),''mr. tanner''.

mr. tanner hummed in embarrassment.

~~~~~~~~~~

night befell the town as hormonal teenagers were either catching up old friends, making out or drinking their problems away at the bonfire that took place at the falls.

the music blared loudly throughout the whole area.

''just admit it, elena'' bonnie laughed as her, elena and phoebe all stood together by the fire.

"oh, okay, so he's little pretty'' elena admitted with a chuckle.

''he has that romance novel stare'' pheobe teased the way stefan presented himself,''stefan looked deep into her eyes, piercing her very soul'' she mocked, the three burst out into fits of laughter.

''so where is he?'' bonnie asked the gilbert girl, looking around the crowd for the mysterious salvatore.

''i don't know. you tell us, you're the psychic one'' elena reminded the girl.

''right. i forgot. okay, so give me a sec. grams says i have concentrate'' bonnie told the two girls, preparing herself to get some psychic vision or something.

''wait, you need a crystal ball'' elena stopped the brunette, turning and grabbing a random beer bottle from the ground,''ahh. ta-da'' she turned back with a smile holding it out to bonnie.

phoebe chuckled in amusement watching the whole thing.

elena's hand still clasped the beer bottle when bonnie went to grab it.

she gasped and spaced out for a few seconds, leaving her friends confused and worried.

bonnie suddenly pulled her hand back.

''what?'' elena asked studying the freaked out expression on the bennett girl's face.

''that was weird. when i touched you, i saw a crow'' bonnie explained.

"what?'' elena asked once again, now seeming a little scared which phoebe almost immediately picked up on, a look of confusion still on her face as she looked between her two friends.

''a crow. there was fog, a man" bonnie added,"i'm drunk. it's the drinking. there's nothing psychic about it. yeah? okay, i'm gonna get a refill'' she then walked off to avoid talking about what just happened.

"okay" phoebe turned and called after the bennett girl,"wait—bonnie!'' she rotated back to a spooked  elena,''i'm gonna go make sure she's okay, alright?"

the brunette nodded with a small smile,''okay''.

phoebe mirrored the girl's smile before leaving to go find their psychic friend.

~~~~~~~~~~

after finding bonnie and making sure she was okay, the dawson girl decided to sit under a tree, looking up at the night sky, a look of fascination on her face.

it didn't take long for stefan salvatore to notice her.

he watched her with curiosity and some sort of—admiration.

he knew who the girl was and who she was related to but still chose to make his way toward her.

phoebe didn't notice him until he said her name, she turned her head to see the salvatore, a small smirk appearing on her lips,"ah, mysterious loner guy''.

the nickname made stefan scoff-chuckle,''is that what everyone's calling me now?'' he questioned.

''well, have you seen what you wear? i mean they kind of give off those vibes, don't you think?'' phoebe asked narrowing her eyes with a nod, a soft laugh escaping her.

"hmm" stefan nodded with a tight smile.

''but hey, don't think on it too much, you could've been worse''.

''oh, yeah, as opposed to what?'' he questioned genuinely curious to hear her response.

"well let's see there's the jerk-jock stereotype'' phoebe specifically suggested using a scenario that basically describes most some of the guys at her school.

''oh, okay'' stefan nodded nonchalantly as he moved closer toward phoebe to sit down next to her on the ground,''and what would you say you are?''

the teen shrugged sheepishly, looking back up to the sky,"i would say i'm just a girl who's trying to get by".

stefan sensed the sadness radiating off the girl but she masked it very well seeing as no one ever noticed until now.

until him.