She Who Went Missing (22)

2 Weeks Later

Detective Myers and Collins were still trying to figure out Nadia's whereabouts. Little did they know, Danny was playing games with them. He practically cleared himself from their suspect list.

In the weeks beforehand, he had done his own research on Nadia's disappearance, seeing there was an active search for her. Danny knew he would become a suspect and they'd find and question him eventually. So, he temporarily locked Nadia away in his vacant childhood home, knowing it wasn't a spot of interest.

If Christian were questioned, Danny knew his brother would give away his whereabouts. So, to make sure things went smoothly he stayed in Christian's vacation cabin alone, waiting for detectives to find him. And sure enough, they did. The interrogation with the detectives was in his favor and he knew he had them stumped. Once enough time had passed, he'd bring Nadia back to Carnelian Bay with him.

...

Amelia tossed the letters in her hand onto the kitchen counter. She dragged her feet to the living room and slumped onto the nearest couch. She lazily reached for the remote, turning the TV on that automatically displayed the news. She sighed, staring at the TV with empty eyes.

It had almost been a month since Nadia was supposed to return home. Amelia still couldn't figure out what happened to her. Why was she staying with Danny? What was she doing with him? She couldn't wait to come home and then all of a sudden, she's not on her flight, and doesn't pick up the phone.

Amelia wondered if her words of discouragement about Leo made Nadia change her mind. She couldn't have given up on him so easily.

As for Leo and Amelia, well, they were still on bad terms.

She got up, deciding to go through the mail she had picked up earlier. Bills, junk mail, and store catalogs were all that was in the pile. She glanced at a grocery store catalog, with cut-out coupons that were sprawled out here and there. At the bottom, as usual was the missing person section.

Amelia always felt sorry for the people who'd been lost for weeks, months, or even years. Only to never be found. Her eyes breezed through the faces, and she quickly took a double take.

She brought the catalog closer to her face, hoping what she was seeing wasn't true.

There she was.

"Oh, my god." Amelia whispered to herself in shock. Nadia was reported missing on July 12th.

Amelia shoved her phone into her back pocket, grasping the catalog and her car keys tightly in her hand, and rushed out the door. Amelia bumped into Maia in her panicked state and the catalog left her hand, gently falling in front of Maia. She picked it up. "What's this?" Maia asked.

Amelia brushed her hair away from her face. "Nadia's missing all thanks to you and your stupid plan." She snapped. After Maia had taken a look at Nadia's face, Amelia snatched the catalog from her hands. "I'm gonna go find out what happened." She paused. "I'm sure you wouldn't want to help anyway. You've done enough damage." Amelia pushed past Maia, taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

...

Amelia pulled up to the curb in front of Leo's house.

She glanced at his house with eyes full of uncertainty. They hadn't talked or seen each other since the altercation with Maia. She didn't know how he would react.

She got out of her car, gently closing the door and walked towards his front door. Amelia rang the doorbell once and looked down at the catalog again. She heard the door click and she relaxed her shoulders. Leo slowly opened the door. They looked at each other in silence.