Confrontational Relations (13)

"Should we call Nadia? See how she's doing?" Amelia asked Maia as she closed her front door, walking towards the elevator to the main floor. Maia shook her head. "No, no let her enjoy herself with Danny." They stood away from the elevator doors as they opened. Maia glanced at her shoes, looking up and quickly grimaced at the sight of Leo. She watched him as he stepped out of the elevator walking towards Nadia's apartment.

"What are you doing here?" She called out to him.

Amelia anxiously shot a look at Maia.

Leo sighed. A hint of irritation was clear in his voice. He turned around. "What do you mean, what am I doing here?" Maia rolled her eyes. "That's exactly what I mean. I'm asking you, why are you here?" The hostility in Maia's voice intensified. Leo scoffed, narrowing his eyes as he glared at her.

"Why don't you mind your own business."

"Nadia is my business!" She yelled, feeling her temper slowly start to rise.

"Maia..." Amelia warned, trying to avoid any conflict. 

Leo chuckled, slowly stepping closer to them. "Maia what's your problem with me, huh?" Maia furrowed her eyebrows in anger. "Why the fuck do you hate me so much?" 

"What are you talking about?" Maia asked, her voice slightly trembled in fear. She protectively drew her arm out in front of Amelia who was behind her. 

Leo lightly laughed at Maia's attempt to act oblivious. "Maia you know exactly what I'm talking about." He spoke harshly. "You think I don't notice how you act whenever I come around?" Maia could feel her heartbeat quicken. He was now in front of her. Leo overpowered her and he knew it. 

"I'm gonna ask you again, what is your problem with me?" He put short pauses in between each word. Maia's dark brown eyes were glazed over with a curtain of angry tears as she looked him in the eye.

"You of all people don't deserve her." She spoke through gritted teeth.

Leo began to laugh. "This is about Nadia?" He scoffed, nodding to himself in realization. "Of course, it's about Nadia. If you don't think I deserve her, then tell that to her." "I already have."  Maia said coldly.

"And guess what? She's still with me, isn't she?"

Maia grew silent. He chuckled and finally drew back from her. "She chose to be with me. It's not up to you to decide who she dates. You wanna hate me? Go ahead. I'll hate you right back. It won't change a damn thing." His chest rose and fell slowly. "So, like I said, mind your fucking business Maia." Leo turned his back to them.

"I swear to God I'll-," Maia whispered under her breath as Amelia held her back from Leo. "Maia let's go. It's not that serious." She said sternly, shoving her into the elevator as it opened. 

Amelia pressed the button to the main floor, watching the elevator doors shut. 

Maia paced around frantically. "That son of a bitch!" She pounded her fist on the door. 

"Maia please, calm down." Amelia scowled at her. "He just wanted to provoke you and clearly it worked." Maia laughed mirthlessly. "Oh, that's what you think?" The elevator doors opened and Maia rushed out.

Amelia sighed. "Maia, wait." She hurriedly walked towards her. They finally reached Amelia's car, unlocked the doors and sat in tense wrenching silence.

"You know he's right." Amelia finally spoke what was on her mind.

Maia looked at her in disbelief. "Oh, so now you're defending him?" 

Amelia tried to stay calm. "No, I'm saying he's got a point." 

"A point about what?"

"Maia, you can't pick and choose who Nadia decides to be with!" She raised her voice, feeling her blood boil. Amelia shook her head at her. "You can't." Her voice softened. "I know you try your best to look out for her ever since what happened with Danny, but if she loves Leo, then she loves him. You can't change that Maia." She sighed exasperatedly.

"Why do you even hate Leo? Honestly. You can see how hard he tries to be on good terms with you, but you push him away." 

Maia put her hands up to shut Amelia down. "Listen, I'm not having this conversation. Leo's going to be irrelevant any time soon, so this doesn't even matter." She snapped. 

"You didn't answer the question." 

"Because I told you, Amelia I'm not having this conversation."

"Do you even have a reason to hate him?"

Maia opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. She peered into Amelia's eyes in defeat. "You don't." Amelia whispered in her own realization. 

Maia aggressively opened the passenger door, got out and slammed the door behind her.

"Maia!" Amelia called out. Maia angrily walked back inside the apartment complex. 

Amelia sighed, running her hands through her dirty blonde hair. She sat there, thinking about Leo, about Danny. Suddenly, she felt bad for Leo. She felt bad for agreeing to let Nadia see Danny again. Leo wasn't the one who didn't deserve to be with Nadia.

It was Danny.