Day of The Call (2)

It was a brisk morning, 6am, a good 71 degrees. Occasionally, Leo and I would sit up on the roof, waiting for the sun to rise. Watching the sunrise was my idea, and though Leo wasn't fond of waking up early for non-work-related reasons, he still joined me every time. I think we sat there for 10 minutes or so until I realized Leo was awfully quiet. The sky was a beautiful hue of orange and pink.

"The sun is going to rise soon." I said somberly.

No answer.

Bothered by his silence I turned to look at him. I sighed. He'd fallen asleep. I gazed at him, lightly smiling to myself with feelings of nostalgia. That curly mop of his was now cut short, and facial hair had greeted the lower half of his face. I made no effort to wake him and simply went back inside. I entered the guest room and slumped against the variety of pillows that were on the bed. I laid there just gazing at the ceiling until I drifted to sleep.

...

"Hey, sweetheart?" I heard Leo's voice as he gently tried to shake me awake. My eyes fluttered open a couple of times, seeing his figure standing above me.

"What are you doing in the guest room?" he asked.

I lightly chuckled. "I was feeling nostalgic." I opened my eyes, catching a glimpse of him smiling.

"I just wanted to let you know I'm leaving." He spoke softly. I sighed. "So soon?" 

"Yeah, I gotta go to work." I felt him take a seat next to me on the bed. "Why didn't you wake me up?" He asked. 

"I couldn't. You looked too adorable." I giggled, and the sound of my laughter brought quiet laughter to him too. "I guess that's a good reason." He leaned over and kissed my forehead.

"I'll see you soon."

He took a blanket that was folded at the edge of bed and covered me with it before he left.

...

Abruptly, my phone rang as I shot up out of bed looking at the time. 10:47am, the clock read. "Dammit," I mumbled under my breath. I was supposed to meet Maia and Amelia for coffee at 11:15. The ringing of my phone caught my attention again and I finally picked it up without looking if there was a caller ID or not. 

"Hello?" I answered. 

Someone exhaled on the other end of the line. It sounded like they were relieved. 

"Uh, hello?" I repeated.

"Nadia, it's so good to hear your voice again."

I faintly gasped and my breathing immediately became uneven upon hearing his voice. "D-Danny?" My voice shook, and I desperately tried not to let my emotions wash over me. 

"Yeah, it's me amore mio, I-I really missed you.

I scoffed. "Don't call me that." 

He softly chuckled. "Oh, c'mon Nadia, it's true." 

I quickly wiped my eyes. All the memories of us kept appearing in my mind. "How-how did you get my number again?" 

"I was going through some old college stuff, and I came across a note you had written your number on." He paused. "I'm so glad I found it, now I can finally see you again. I have so much to-,"

"No." I cut him off.

"Danny, you can't just call me out of nowhere saying you want to see me again. Don't you remember what you did to me?" 

He let out a harsh breath. "Nadia, that was in the past, I'm not that person anymore...you know I still love you, right?" His voice softened and I felt my tears start to puddle up in my eyes.

I sadly shook my head. "No, you can't do this, not now." 

"Nadia, please." His voice was stern. 

I brought the phone away from my ear and hung up on him. I sighed, quickly wiping the tears out my eyes. 

I raked my hand through my curly hair in frustration. This isn't happening. Danny Brivio can't be back into my life. 

I sighed. I had somewhere to be, I didn't have time to think about this. Yet, my mind flooded with memories I shared with Danny from when I was starting college at 18, to our split at 21 when Danny went to Italy for god knows how long. 

I thought I would never see him again. 

God, I was such a wreck. 

I couldn't wait to tell Maia and Amelia about the call.