Heroine in Disguise (14)

Leo was in Nadia's apartment because he had forgotten something of his. He wandered around stopping to look at photos of him and Nadia. He picked up a photo that stood on a drawer in the living room. He smiled. There was a sudden knock on the door and he put the photo down. He slowly opened the door, revealing Amelia's face. His eyes widened. "Amelia?"

She lightly smiled. "Hi, um can I talk to you?" She asked. "Uh, yeah, sure, come in." He completely opened the door for her, letting her in. She listened to her footsteps as she walked into Nadia's apartment. Leo shut the door. 

"I'm sorry, about Maia." She began. Leo shrugged. "It's okay. She doesn't faze me." Amelia sat down on one of the couches. Leo sat across from her. She chuckled, with a tone submerged in sadness. "I don't, I don't know why she hates you so much Leo. I tried asking her, but she ran off. You may think I hate you too but-,"

"No, I know you don't hate me, you just act like you do." Leo cut her off.

She laughed quietly. "Is it that obvious?" He smiled at her. "Well to me it sure is." They laughed together. "I like you Leo." Amelia admitted. "I think Nadia is lucky to have someone like you and I'm sure you supported her more than Maia and I ever could." She sighed.

"You're a good person."

You don't deserve the potential betrayal that's headed your way. I only hope Nadia can stay faithful to you. 

Amelia knew such a thought was almost near impossible because of Danny's advances. Leo lightly smiled, shifting in his seat. It was clear Amelia's words had gotten to him, but he didn't want to show it. He thanked her and the room regained its silence. 

Amelia took out her phone, turned on the audio recording, and placed it at the side of her thigh. She did this all without Leo knowing.

"Do you love her?" She asked.

Leo's eyes slightly widened at her question. He shifted in his seat again. "Of course I love her." Amelia slowly shook her head at his response. "No, Leo," her voice softened. "I need a real answer, a meaningful one." 

His eyes quickly darted from the floor to look at her. With faintly raised eyebrows and eyes full of uncertainty, Leo's jaw tightened. 

He didn't want to express himself to Amelia whatsoever. But here she was, admitting that she liked him after tagging along with the girl who treated him harshly. Surely, she deserved to know his true feelings for Nadia. He sighed, rubbed his right eye and sat up.

"Truth is, Nadia means everything to me." He began. 

"I didn't think much of it at first. She was just a girl I met at a bar. I brought her to my home when she was too drunk to go back to her own and in the morning, I thought that was the end of that. But I asked her to stay and here she is three years later, still by my side."

"I helped her with her recovery and essentially, she helped me too. When I'm with her, my drinking impulses aren't as strong. I tend to have more control over myself." 

Leo softly chuckled to himself. "And I feel like shit, you know it's only been a few days and I've already woken up hungover." 

He paused, lightly smiling as he thought of Nadia. "It just makes me realize how much of a positive influence she has on me." He sniffled and quickly wiped his eyes that welled up. "She's a wonderful person, and she makes me feel like I'm one too. So, when I say I love her, I mean it."

His eyebrows furrowed in sudden anger as he scoffed.

"When Maia comes around here with her bullshit, talking about how I don't deserve her, how do you think that makes me feel?"