Chapter 498: Stalemate

They made the journey in silence. Nyx was driving today, she knew this was one trip she couldn't rely on the girls for. She needed to be there, even if it had meant postponing the trip for two days until she didn't have work scheduled. She was tired, and relying on a travel mug of very strong coffee to keep her awake as they pushed slowly through the rush-hour traffic on the main route.

Toni and Britney stared at the road ahead, occasionally meeting each other's gaze but having nothing to say. This was it, the moment of truth when they would find out that their deduction was correct. But how could it not be? All the dates added up correctly, and even the amount. Now they knew where Adi was, it had been easy to check. Britney and Nyx had both confirmed it using the data they had available, and they were certain that they would find her at the end of this journey. Or if she wasn't there, they could wait until she got back. They still didn't know if she would come willingly, or if they would have to resort to using her baby name to bring her home. But in the days while they waited for everyone to be available, they had discussed this many times. They knew now that getting Adi out of a dangerous situation was the most important thing. If she didn't want to come willingly, they knew that saying the trigger once was the lesser of two evils. They were all agreed on that much.

The scenery changed around them as they drove, but they were in no mood for sightseeing. They didn't travel this far often, but it wasn't such a dramatic change and they all knew that it was a journey they would probably be making regularly if everything went well. And they had to hope it would, because if they didn't leave with Adi today, none of them could think of a solution that didn't mean causing her a lot of hardship.

* * *

Eventually, tall modern buildings rose up around them and they knew they were close. Finding the actual address was harder, but Nyx still had a rough map sketched on the back of an envelope. It helped more than the street signs, several of which pointed down wide streets that were blocked by construction hoardings. It seemed like whoever was doing work in this town was rushing to have everything finished before the start of October, and there were stacks of decorative tiles scattered throughout the centre, and sculptures waiting to be returned to their final home standing on every corner. It made the traffic a nightmare.

They parked the car in a space between two shipping containers, on what might have been some kind of park. The area in front of them had been so churned up by heavy wheels that it was unlikely to be used for anything save storage, and there was no kind of signage to indicate that they weren't allowed to park there while the works continued. They went the rest of the way on foot, while Britney tried to match her vague memory of the city's layout with the folded map in her hand.

Before long they found a signpost with one arm coloured pink, which Nyx was sure was a good omen. They followed the pink signs until it was pink in every direction, and then looked around for a sign indicating the Peckem Building. Nyx double-checked the paper in her hand, but she knew by now that they had the right place. She strode angrily across the lobby, to where a middle-aged man with an obvious toupée sat behind a desk. His name badge declared him to be named Jordan, and asked how he could be of assistance. The receptionist glanced around nervously, and the smallest movement somehow seemed to summon a couple of security guards who sauntered unobtrusively into the room and stood talking among themselves in one corner.

"I'm here to see my daughter," Nyx announced herself. "Adi Spenser. I believe she moved in a couple of weeks ago."

"Is she expecting you?" Jordan asked politely, while tapping some buttons on a computer behind the desk and apparently looking at a list of room numbers and residents.

"No, we've had trouble getting in touch with her lately. But she knows we want to see her, and she won't mind us paying her a visit."

"Well, I'm afraid the system doesn't work like that. Some residents at Peckem may have various mental and emotional difficulties, some of which could be exacerbated by unexpected visits, or by contact with family members. I'm sure you understand that in the circumstances, we can't inform you whether or not any resident is in the building, or even whether they live here, without explicit permission from the resident. It may seem excessive to you, but for some people it is a necessity, and safety measures are only effective if they are applied equally and fairly."

"I understand, Jordan," Nyx nodded. "Can you check if you have a list of authorised delegates on that computer? I'm responsible for most of my daughters finances and administration. Surely if I am allowed to sign documents on her behalf, I would be allowed to visit her in order to discuss them."

He hesitated, and then tapped at the computer again. The pleasant customer-service smile plastered across his face was momentarily occluded by a confused frown as he saw the job in front of him becoming a little more difficult, and certainly more frustrating. Then he did the search, and looked up again with the same smile. Nyx guessed that it was taking a little more effort to maintain the expression now.

"I'm sorry, your name isn't on the list, Miss Spenser. If you feel there has been an error, you are welcome to speak to one of our managers. But I'm afraid that without advance notification from Adi, or a name on the list, I can't confirm or deny that your daughter lives here."

"We know she's here," Nyx snapped. "You know her name, and I know my name's come up on that screen because you called me 'Miss', when someone's mother would–"

"Nyx," Toni reached up and grasped her wrist as she started to point aggressively at the receptionist, and the security guards were now aimlessly loitering a few paces closer. "We can't blame this man, he's just doing his job. If Adi's removed your authorisation to visit her, she must have thought it was a good reason. Now, perhaps you have a number to call for the person you spoke to before? If we explain the situation, they're sure to understand that Adi might be under some undue influence. But I think for now we should step aside and let the receptionist help someone else."

Nyx glanced to where Toni was pointing, and stepped aside. It took some effort to calm her breathing, but she could see that the direct approach was unlikely to be helpful here.