Chapter 410: Related

Belle told her story in the simplest words she could think of. About finding out about Adelaide's hypnosis addiction, and teasing her over it. She blushed when she recounted how unthinkingly cruel she'd been, pushing Adi to be like all the cool kids without even wondering if the girl wanted to. But Reg didn't say anything about her meanness, or wonder why she'd behaved like that. Belle, in her turn, didn't think it was good to say anything about her worries about Adi's safety. She breezed on through the first few times she'd said the trigger phrase, deliberately or accidentally, and seen the shy girl wet her pants. And then she got to the part where she heard that Adi was actually trying to break the suggestion, although she kind of let the older guy believe she hadn't known that until after she'd used it so many times. And then she got to the part where Adi's friends had realised that she secretly wanted to be turned into a baby, including the elusive note to her mother. Asking to be tricked and surprised, turned into a baby without having to ask.

"Are you sure?" Reg asked with a raised eyebrow. Belle blushed, and couldn't meet his eyes.

"Well, why would she write it if I didn't mean it? Like, she chose this stuff. Her real friends worried about that, but they agreed it's what she really wanted."

"Are you sure it couldn't have been somebody else's writing? Somebody who thought it was funny?"

"I don't think so. Hardly anybody knew about the baby thing even. I mean, I was a bit of a bitch when I found out, but I never told anyone else. And besides, Nyx must know her writing. That's her mom."

"I suppose. But why would she write it?"

"Because she's too nervous. And because she knew she'd change her mind if she had the chance, and she didn't want that to happen."

"So, she's ready to be a full time baby? That's an expensive lifestyle, if she's going to be unable to work. I got the impression she wasn't rich."

"No..." Belle tried again. She told the man that they'd tried hard to give Adi the chance to say what she really wanted. Setting up situations where it would be less embarrassing to say. Really it had been Britney and Toni who did all the detective work, but Belle included herself in the summary in the vague hope that it would make her seem a better friend. And she explained that after fighting their way through a wall of blushes and euphemisms, they'd been entirely sure that Adi wanted to be a baby during her exam period to soothe her nerves, and then brought back up to enjoy an adult life with her girlfriend, regressed just a few days in each week, aside from the loss of her potty training."

She blushed when she said that, and looked across at Vicky. The girl was scribbling on the back of the menu now, drawing a big yellow spiral with every sign of enjoyment and concentration. Belle guessed that she was too old for diapers, especially if she'd understood correctly that Vicky's baby age was as old as ten. She'd be barely a child by that point, but her behaviour and enthusiasm today barely made it seem possible.

"You're wondering if we ever played with potty training?" he said with a grin. "Well..." Vicky quieted him by throwing an object from her handbag, though he effortlessly dodged. After a second, and putting whatever it was back into the bag, he continued as if nothing had happened. "She's a little bit embarrassed about it, but she's completed the process I think three times. A hypnotic suggestion to make those muscles weaker, another to stop her realising so quickly that she needs to go. And then she can try to potty train herself again, learning to make it on time subject to the new restrictions. Sometimes I'll help her and be the supportive daddy figure. Others I'll watch, and see how quickly she can train herself. It's a lot of fun, especially when she's nearly there and she fails."

Vicky glared at him, apparently holding onto enough of her adult mind to be embarrassed. She wasn't angry though, and disapproval was limited to a few helpless glances.

Before they could ask any more, a waiter came to take their orders. Belle asked for a calamari curry penne, from one of the pages headed 'fusion creations'. She assumed that even in a place like this, the pasta was unlikely to be particularly pricey, and save her from embarrassment in case these people decided against paying for her after all. Reg's order was more than a minute of fast-paced Italian, which Belle couldn't even begin to comprehend. The waiter just nodded and started entering it on the little tablet computer in his hand, before doing a prompt double-take as Reg added "And can we have fries with that?"