[Flashback Chapter 469: Looking Forward to the Rest of My Life]

Adi's day started like any other. Or it was different from the experience of anyone else in history, but the same as the last dozen mornings here in the cottage. She ate breakfast, a pre-packed portion of healthy cereal with what looked like a spot-the-difference puzzle on the back. Dean had toast, using the last of the wholegrain bread in the cupboard. While he waited for Adi to munch her unexpectedly childish breakfast, he knotted the empty bag and threw it in the trash. He didn't stop there, and went around the kitchen sweeping down the work surfaces, shaking crumbs out of the toaster, and wiping the inside of the microwave. While he worked the coffee machine gurgled away filling two travel mugs with hot, sweet beverages. Then he put in what must be a cleaning cartridge and set it running again.

A moment later he was carrying the bins from the rest of the house out into the yard. They went into a huge black dustbin with 'НЯМА ГАРEЧАГА ПОГЕЛЙ / EXCLUDE HOT ASH' stamped on the sides. This he hauled to the end of the driveway, ready for collection. Adi knew he would be charged an additional fee for that; he normally had to take the household waste to the next junction along the track, nearly a half mile away. But today they would have so many things in the car that it wasn't practical to be moving the bin as well; and of course he might not be here to carry the empty bin to the back yard on Friday night.

After breakfast, Adi was back in her room. All her remaining clothes were folded up and crammed into the top of her suitcase, and the laptop and its charger were packed in on top. By the time she came downstairs Dean had finished packing up everything else. He carried two cups of coffee outside, precariously stacked on top of each other, while his left hand held a tiny paper sack filled with any rubbish he'd found in the last few minutes of cleaning, such as the cleaning pod for the coffee machine. The dishes were clean, with just a spoon and a bowl standing on the rack to dry.

Dean double-checked that every door and window was locked, ratting some of them in their frames, before he got into the car. That gave Adi just enough time to manhandle her last suitcase into the space behind her seat, and sit holding two coffee cups. As she was waiting, she felt the slightest twinge from her bladder, and considered asking Dean if she could run back to the house for one minute. But that was a thought left over from her pre-regression life, when her muscles were strong enough to hold it. She clamped down as hard as she could, desperately fighting against the pressure. But as Dean climbed into the driver's seat and slammed the door the car rocked just a little, and Adi was powerless to prevent her diaper growing warm and wet.

She glanced down at the clock on the dashboard again, and saw that she'd managed to hold it for barely ten minutes this time. Enough to let her know that she was improving, but still she knew it wouldn't have been enough to get back into the house and run to the bathroom. There was no sense delaying the journey if it wasn't going to help them at all, and it would probably have already been too late to change her diaper again.

When the car stopped just outside the gate, Adi wound the window down and threw the last bag of kitchen waste into the dustbin. She had the window closed again before Dean had replaced the padlock on the battered gate and climbed back into the car. They both turned to look behind them, driving away from the cottage that had served as home for most of the summer. It felt strange to be leaving, but they both knew that things couldn't stay the same forever.

"Always sad to say goodbye to a place," Dean said. "But new things ahead, always going forward. Now, we'd best get a move on if we're going to meet Alex before noon."

It wasn't a long drive. They weren't going back to the airport right away, Dean had explained, but getting a train to Minsk, where they would meet his hypnotist friend. Adi wasn't entirely sure why this was necessary, but she trusted the two men to have made all the plans for her. Even with her baby behaviours fast fading, she'd had to consciously remind herself not to trust their judgement simply because they were adults. But she knew that they had been working on this plan for a long time, and there was bound to be some reason for the detour.

They drove through the woods for what felt like miles, and then turned onto the main road. It wasn't what Adi would have thought of as a main road anywhere else, just a narrow strip of asphalt barely wide enough for two cars to pass, where the lines had almost entirely been lost as the aged surface cracked and fell piece by piece into the ditch on either side. But there were signs at regular intervals, and a car coming in the opposite direction every two or three minutes. The town centre wasn't busy, and there was plenty of parking space available around the station. But Dean checked his watch again and decided that there was time for a little walk. So he took the car back to the rental place, filled in all the paperwork, and they went on foot to the other side of the town centre.

Dean's planning was perfect, as always.