[Flashback Chapter 462: All Fun and Games With the Best Babysitter Ever]

Juniper was sprawled out for half the morning in front of a pile of alphabet blocks on the lounge floor. There was no need for a playpen now, and she was dimly aware that she was probably too big for one. But she had Dean watching over her instead, which was like a million times better.

She was building the blocks into towers, and then pushing the towers together to make a castle. It didn't quite work, but she could still see what shape she wanted the castle to be in her mind's eye. She could maybe make words on it as well. The blocks mostly had letters on, and she could build a really big tower because she had two sets now. There were the Cyrillic ones and a Roman set, in slightly different colours so it was easy to tell them apart. Juniper knew that dean had tried to teach her the Russian letters, and she knew that she could remember two different alphabets now. But right at this minute she couldn't remember more than four in a row before she got distracted and tried to pile them up in the biggest stack possible. Some of the blocks were actually designed to make a castle, different sizes and shapes of plastic bricks with a stone texture printed on the sides. They didn't quite fit with the letter blocks, but she could lay them across the top of gateways or use them to fill in the gaps in the walls.

She was having a lot of fun when she felt a little tingling in her tummy. She tried to ignore it for just a second, and put a green Ԓ block on top of the pile. But then she knew it was something she needed to do something about. Dean had said it was important, after all. He'd told her twice that even if she were a baby she'd be able to notice that weird little feeling of pressure and know what it meant. And just like he'd said, she felt really proud of herself when she noticed.

"Deeeeean!" she called, waving a hand in the air as if he wasn't already staring right at her. "I think I... I gotta go weewee!"

She blushed and giggled as she heard the word come out of her mouth. The shame at using such a childish word combined with pride in the fact that she could feel it at all. And for a second or two, Juniper didn't have any idea how she was feeling. But somehow, whether it was pride or shame, she knew that she was enjoying herself. She didn't need to worry about it because she was too little to think about big kid stuff like that. Dean was already coming towards her, reaching out one hand to help her to her feet, so there was no need to try to solve the problem herself.

She needed his help to reach the bathroom, she knew. But she was allowed to be a big girl now, so she knew she could do it. She was going to start growing up, and that meant...

Her train of thought quickly derailed, Juniper whimpered and looked down. She'd had time to stand with a little help from her babysitter, but then she could only feel the diaper getting warm as she realised she couldn't hold her pee that long anymore. It was something that had happened every hour of this vacation, but it still made her embarrassed when she noticed it happening. And right now, she couldn't keep the tears from her eyes.

"Don't worry, little one," Dean comforted her. He gave slow pats on her head, which she would have yelled at him for because it was demeaning and chauvinistic, it it didn't feel so good in her present state. "Don't worry, it's okay. You're only little today, and you're still learning. Maybe next time you'll get a step further, and by the end of the break you won't be having any accidents at all. It could happen, if you're a good girl and you start training to hold it longer."

"I will! I'm a big girl, I can hold it next time!"

"I'm so proud of you, Juniper. Now, you were going to build a little tower?" while she looked over at her blocks, he gently pressed against the front of her diaper. "I don't think you need changing yet, so would you like to keep on playing and see how much you can learn?"

"Yeah! Can you show me how to write weewee?"

Dean chuckled, and a second later he was on his knees behind her. That's how she knew she'd found a good babysitter, who would help her to do all the things that she wanted to do, and the things she needed as well.

"Of course I can. In English? I think we've only got one 'W' block. But I can show you how to write it in Kolechian, or in Russian if you really want."

"Ohhh, yes please!" Juniper giggled excitedly and knocked down all her towers with a clumsy grasp. She didn't know how to pick the right letters, but she managed to find a couple of blocks decorated with the Cyrillic alphabet, and held them out in an offering to the token adult. He took them and showed her how to write a word, while she sipped at her juicebox and waited for a telltale tingle from her tummy, so she could show what a grown-up she was.