Chapter 45

nathans pov

"multiple injuries to the brain...could take weeks...we don't know...success rate...not good...chances are slim.....to none...might not wake up...don't get your hopes up....I'm sorry." I only caught parts of what the doctor said as I sat by her bed. My eyes watery, I could barely process it.

"Nathan." said someone, finally jerking me back to reality. "what?" I asked. "come on, let's go grab some coffee." said jay. "don't like coffee." I replied. "then let's go get some tea." he said. "don't want tea." I replied.

"Nathan, you need to get out of here, out of this room, clear your head." said jay. "no...I really don't." I said. "come on, you gotta go home and feed Noche and Maple." he said, that got my attention for a moment.

"Max can do it." I replied. "Nathan, come on, you can't just sit in here and slowly kill yourself." yelled jay. "there's nothing else I can do jay." I said softly, he sighed and touched my shoulder. "alright mate, alright, but I'm staying with you." he said as he pulled a chair over and sat down.

"no, go home to Maggie and Quentin." I said. "Nathan, Maggie and Quentin are in the waiting room, so are the other boys, you really think we'd just let you stay here yourself when ellens like this?" he asked, I just mumbled something unintelligible under my breath and not even I knew what I said.

We sat there for hours and hours. Two days later I finally left and went home. It was horrible, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I visited her everyday for hours and hours until one of the boys came and took me home.

Today started out like any other. I got up and went straight to the hospital. when I got there I went up to ellens room and saw Maggie was already there. I stopped when I saw she was talking to the doctor.

"it's been three weeks and she hasn't shown any sign of improvement, everyday she doesn't make up, her chanced get worse and worse." he admitted and Maggie nodded, but I saw a tear slip down her cheek. "I understand." she whispered and I knew she was trying to hold back from a complete breakdown.

The doctor left and Maggie walked over to Ellen. "you need wake up boycat, I don't think I can do this without you." she joked. "we always joked about this, but I'd be the one in the hospital because I fell down the stairs. I never thought it would really happen, let alone that it would happen to you." continued Maggie as she sat down next to Ellen and looked down at her.

"I really need you back, I'm trying to put a brave face on for jay and Quentin, but everyday it's getting harder and harder. I don't know what I'm going to do. You're always the one who made me come out of my shell. You make me do the crazy things that I would never do by myself. Without you I wouldn't have met jay, I wouldn't have quentin, hell I'd still be in America. I don't know what I would do without you, I need you to come back." she sobbed and I saw she'd started crying.

"you're the strong one, if you can't make it how will I? It's impossible, you can't die ellen, you just can't. You've been through so much, just keep holding on Ellen, you have to make it through this, Dayton has to be real, you have to have your happily ever after." she cried and then she lost it and broke down crying.

I walked in and grabbed her in a hug. She wrapped her arms around me and cried into my shoulder. "I'm so sorry Nathan." she sobbed and I just held her. "go home love, I've got it from here." I said and I kissed her head and she walked out into the hall where jay was waiting.

He put his arm around her shoulder and led her down the hall. I looked over at Ellen and grimaced. I pulled a chair over and straddled it. I took her hand and rubbed my thumb over her wrist. "baby." I sighed and just watched her. "I know....I haven't been the perfect boyfriend. So much shit has gone wrong in your life, but we're getting through it together baby. I know that you can make it, you're so strong. After everything we've been through, I don't think I can make it through without you. I...I just..." I stuttered out, not sure what to say, then it hit me. I could sing and I softly started singing to her.