XLVII

*Keller's Pov*

"Cainis?"

I had control?

Before I could say more a knife stabbed into my side. Fire shot through me, burning me. I felt like gasoline was poured down my throat and I was forced to swallow fire.

I gasped at the pain, bringing my hands to the stab wound, my blood covering my hands. I fell to the side, the pain was so intense. Thoughts of the past and now made tears come to my eyes.

Cainis' face came into my sight, I'm glad it was him.

"Cainis."

His name was a plea, I wanted to die in his arms.

My wish was granted as he pulled me into his lap.

"I'm here, I'm here."

He traced his finger over my cheek, brushing some of the tears. I was so grateful to see him but I needed to know the twins were okay before letting go.

"A-are t-the twins o-okay?" Talking was difficult.

"They're safe, it's going to be okay, we'll make it through this Kell."

I always loved his name for me but I wanted to hear my first name from his mouth, wondering if for the first time it would be beautiful to me.

"S-say m-m-my n-name."

"I love you Graham."

I reached my hand up to his cheek, this time brushing his tears.

"So beautiful."

I closed my eyes with no regrets.

I woke up in a blue field with some deja vu.

The moon was reflecting off everything making it more magical but my eyes roamed for Cainis. This field was the same one from when he was in a coma. Instead of finding him my eyes connected with a woman's.

She was absolutely beautiful, long black hair flowing in the soft breeze, the moon giving it a blue tent but her eyes were a dusty grey. She smiled at me and stepped towards me.

"Do not be afraid Keller." Her voice was sweet and loving.

"Are you an angle?" I felt stupid for asking but it was the first thing that came out.

"I am not, my apologies if that is what you were expecting."

"Who are you?"

"I am Nox, Goddess of Night and keeper of the moon."

Wow, I had a hard time believing I was in the presence of a Goddess but if I am then that means..

"Am I dead?"

She chuckled lightly.

"So full of questions. Yes your body is dying but your soul is holding back, preventing death itself."

"Then where am I?"

"Diei reliquum, your soul is between life and death, it is simply resting."

"Does that mean I can go back?"

"Not exactly, you have to find a reason and I must grant your passage."

"Why don't you?"

"Do you have something worth going back to Keller?"

I thought about the twins and all the things I thought I would miss when I left. They would truly have nothing if I stay here. I pictured walking Mercy down the aisle in the future, the first dance. Hannibal watching his sister happily, going his own way but always being there for her.