XXXIX

*Lincoln's Pov*

"NO! GET OFF, PLEASE. STOP. STOP."

I couldn't take his screams and pleas as he slept but not even my touch brought him out of his night terrors. I had tried waking him but he seemed to only latch into the dream more.

I sat in a chair at the foot of the bed and tortured myself listening to him. He wouldn't wake up for more than a few seconds, only catching his breath from screaming.

"Lincoln."

This time it was a whisper.

I stood, his eyes were open, looking right at me. I was frozen; I didn't know what to do.

He was awake and staring at me, is it safe to touch him?

He answered my question as he stretched his arms for me.

"Lincoln."

I didn't question myself this time. I walked over and gently placed my hand to his cheek.

"It's okay my love, I've still got you."

"I waited for you."

My own guilt ate at my heart.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there Basel, forgive me?"

"Come here."

He patted the space next to him.

Cautiously I placed myself in the empty space, covering him back up in the process. He turned and laid his head on my chest and I tensed.

"Lincoln I just want you to hold me, I've been so cold without you."

His words made me think of my own coldness.

"I can't Basel."

"Why not?"

"I don't want you to forgive me just because I'm your mate, I failed to keep you safe and you have the right to be angry with me."

It would hurt but he needed to lash out at someone, I was the one who didn't keep my promise so it might as well be me.

"I forgive you because I love you Lincoln."

I always loved my name on his lips but this time it was like acid.

"How? How can you after what happened to you because of me?"

"I do not and will I ever blame you for what Sage did."

"But I blame myself."

"Then don't, I love you and nothing can stop that. So please just hold me for tonight." He sounded as though I would never hold him again.

I turned allowing him to press himself closer to me. I tensed once again, out of being scared, any move I made could trigger a bad response. I just didn't want to add sadness to his already hurting mind.

"Thank you Lincoln."

My warmth spread over us both and lulled him to sleep. Even with him here in my arms I felt he was in danger, not from Sage or anybody else...but from me.

No, I would never do anything to hurt my Basel.

There wasn't a safer place for him than by my side, his mate's, right?

I gave up on my sick feeling and I kissed the top of his head.

"No matter what happens, I love you Basel."
****