XXXVII

*Keller's Pov*

I knew Cainis was waiting for me to tell him but I didn't want to think about it, much less talk about it but he trusted me tonight so I need to trust him.

"My mom worked from the house, editing papers for books so she was always home with Me and Casey, always. But one day she wasn't home when I got home from school instead dad came home early to take care of us while she was out. When she came home Casey wanted to go on one of his many adventures but I knew mom was upset, she always gave dad this we need to talk look whenever she was. But unlike usual, dad wouldn't talk to her about it."

"My dad was a hopelessly in love man and did everything for my mother, especially talked. It's how they got through everything that went on in their lives. After Casey and I were supposed to be in bed I waited at the top of the stairs listening to my parents in the living room, I was a nosy kid when it came to my parents."

"Mom started crying saying that they couldn't give this girl something she wanted and dad raised his voice at her, he never does that, saying it was all they had left to do or else they would loose Casey and I both. Mom still refused saying she would die herself before letting it happen."

"At the time I never got it because I was fourteen when it happened but now I see the connection. It sort of tore my parents apart in a way, they still loved each other and barely fought but they just stopped talking about things. Casey went from being attached to mom to me for that reason, she always seemed to be pondering on something. It went on for three years"

"One morning when I was seventeen I came downstairs and mom was making breakfast, dad was home, they were joking around laughing, dad always called me sport to mess with me, back when I let people call me Graham. She told me to get Casey, that breakfast was ready, we were having beacon and pancakes, I didn't care for bacon, mom knew I was going to be a vegetarian, always told me. I remember being so happy anyway, I thought things were going to be how they used to be. How could I have been so wrong?"

I tried not to let the pain from remembering choke me up, I could do this for Cainis.

"We all sat and were ready to eat when someone came knocking at the door, I didn't want my parents to move. I was scared things might change back if they got up so I answered the door. This woman was standing there and just greeted me 'hello Keller', her words exactly. I looked back at my parents wondering if she might be an aunt I didn't know about but they were pale white, like they'd seen the devil himself."

"My dad asked her what she was doing at the house. I was confused as to why my dad sounded scared but brushed it off as my imagination. I asked if he knew her but he just told me to grab Casey and go upstairs. She said something about too bad we don't get to watch. I locked the door to my room, I was scared but Casey was only seven so I don't know if he was as scared or confused."

"I could hear their voices but not what they were saying and my ease dropping habits hadn't left me. I told Casey to lock the door behind me while I went to hear what was going on. My mom told her to leave us out of it, that we had nothing to do with it but the woman said we did. I don't know what they were talking about. Dad asked her not to do this with us upstairs, she said it was too late and my parents began screaming. First my mom then my dad. I had bolted back to Casey, hoping she wouldn't care about us now but she did. She played at the door a minute just rattling it. She stopped and tried taunting us out 'it's time to play.' "

"I told Casey we needed to leave out the window. He was scared now, I knew that. He didn't want to jump but I promised to catch him, just like I did when he fell from the tree, I jumped first and then he came after. We ran through the woods, I warned him we were going through the woods, not to let go of my hand but I was so focused on finding a road and lost him. I lost my baby brother."

"I screamed his name over and over, I was freaking out but he started screaming my name back. Relief washed over me and I ran towards his voice. He was in a small clearing, I walked towards him but she was there behind him so fast. I still tried getting to him but she threatened me, I begged and begged for her to let him go. She said it wasn't enough and stabbed a knife into his jugular."

"I ran to him screaming and crying. He said my name and smiled. How could he, I killed him, I killed my brother."

Cainis held me as I cried. I didn't even bother stopping this time.

"I ran again but she caught up to me also. She kept calling me pup and asking me to cry for her. Aside from ease dropping I was pretty headstrong plus she took my whole family so I didn't about care what she did."

"I survived because a poacher found me. Police got involved but nothing got solved. After their funeral I left for California. I met Francine and Ivan, finished school and started my company with them. And as they say the rest is history I guess."

I was pulling myself together slowly by the time I finished.

"I love you Kell."

He gave me soft kisses all over my hand.

"It doesn't make sense, why would she show up now, and apparently she's actually fate?"

"I don't know. The only question I have is, are you sure she kept calling you pup?"

"I'm positive."

"That's what doesn't make sense to me, shifters call their children pups."

"Yeah and as you know I'm all human."

"I'll have to see if I can get answers but you should go get the twins."

"Yeah, I'll let you know when I get back."

"Thank you."

I gave him a kiss and headed out.

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》❤️
Just Keller's story.