XLV

*Fate's Pov*

His body; that sweet human flesh with a heartbeat and blood flowing through him, I've waited too long for it.

My sweet Keller if you only appreciated your body as I am. The senses of sight and touch. Such a wonderful gift given but no one loves them for what they are; beautiful.

I stared at him, myself now, through a mirror.

He was the first male Dver' sud'by to ever be born, only females have been birthed for centuries. What made Keller so unique wasn't just what he was born to do but what he was born as.

My patience was wearing close to nothing. I've been waiting for the war and he is the key to it all, now that I have him everything can be set in place. The sacrifice ritual needs to happen by the next full moon.

I pulled away from his reflection reluctantly in search of Sage. I was slightly furious as to why Basel was not here and why it took Keller coming to me.

"Sage!"

I yelled for him, pausing to enjoy the sound of Keller's voice.

I walked throughout every hall and opened every passing door. He wasn't dumb enough to try and run from me and neither was Lupus.

I was ready to wreck everything in front of me when I stepped outside but I saw Sage walking up to the house.

"Where were you?"

"I was checking the lands." He walked closer.

"Where is Basel?"

"His mate came and rescued him, it didn't cause a war like you probably hoped."

"And you didn't think to go and get him back?"

"You said we couldn't have mates. How do you think I felt with him showing up!"

I stepped forward "Watch your tone little boy, what I choose to tell you or not is not to be questioned."

"You have my sister willing to kill her own son because she thinks you can give her Barack again, how else am I supposed to feel about the lack of information you're putting out?"

"You're to feel nothing. I didn't make you for emotions, I made you to fight." My voice raised a few notches.

"What are we supposed to fight for now, you have him. What else do you need!"

I stepped inches from his face "You have one warning only, Do Not undermine me Sage, we still need Basel so you will do as I tell you or else your sister is going to be burying her brother next."

His face gave up all defiance "Forgive me, my mind must be tired."

I stepped back and placed a warm smile "It is okay, go rest, the war is ahead of us and we do not need anymore complications."

He nodded and walked around me to enter the house for his bedroom.

I looked around me at the sky, the trees and grass. Even with the minor set back of Basel's absence everything was going according to plan. I walked out further across the yard touching whatever I passed.

I was so enchanted I hadn't realized I had wound up in the middle of the woods.

I looked behind me in the direction I was coming from, instead of giving care to it, I laid down on the ground and listened to the sounds around me. The light chirp of birds, the snapping wood, the wind in the trees. Everything seemed so quite and peaceful here but a smile tugged my lips.