VII

*Keller's Pov*

Cainis hadn't said a word all day just silently followed beside us from store to store.

I didn't mind, I just half expected him to be bored and leave.

This store was different.

Instead of the recent styles it was Native American inspired. The twins seemed to like it because they instantly stopped bickering.

The place was honestly breath taking.

While the twins went to the clothing section, I looked around making sure they were still in my sight before I stopped at a stand near the checkout counter.

It was feathers.

All sorts from rare to common birds. Immediately I thought of the twins.

Grabbing two of each of the ones I wanted most for them I placed them on the counter.

The guy looked at them.

"Just these?"

"Yes. Please and Thank you."

He rang them up but as he was setting them in the bag he reached behind the counter and grabbed something.

"What's that?"

"It is the feather of an Arctic Owl. My last two exactly."

I looked at the two feathers. They were remarkable. I started grabbing my wallet again to pay for the two new feathers but he put his hand over mine to stop me.

"Consider it a gift." He smiled.

"Are you sure? I can pay for them."

Instead of answering he asked.

"Do you know what the Owl symbolism is?"

I shook my head.

"Wisdom, Prosperity, Virtue, but also war. Owls may sore my friend but something always tries to bring them from the sky."

I was speechless.

What did he mean by that? Before I could say anything the twins and Cainis came to the counter.

"Can we get these daddy?"

Mercy asked holding up traditional Native American dress for herself and a shawl for Hannibal.

I chuckled and placed them on the counter

"These as well"

"You guys hungry?" I asked as we left. 

They all nodded and Cainis kindly followed us to the food court.

"Would you like anything Cainis?"

I looked at him but he didn't appear to be breathing. Putting my hand on his shoulder sent electricity through me

"Are you okay?"

He nodded.

I removed my hand "So you hungry?"

"I can pay for myself."

"Nonsense it's the least I can do for helping me."

"Well thank you."

Cainis and the twins opted for Taco Bell but I got a slice of cheese pizza instead.

Sitting down everyone dug in.

Taking the first bite of my pizza had me moaning. God I didn't realize how much I loved pizza. From the corner of my eye I saw Cainis stiffen and pale slightly. Choosing to ignore it I went on eating.