XXXVIII

*Keller's Pov*

The drive home was long and quite.

Bethany told me she was worried about Hannibal, he was screaming and crying, when Bethany tried to get him to calm down he would yell at her to go away.

Mercy got him to sleep after awhile just holding him close to her chest as she had done before.

I really didn't need this after telling Cainis of my parents and brother, I just wanted the peace of mind that Hannibal would be okay and Mercy wasn't going to be next.

The routine of taking them out of the car and placing them into bed became second nature for me. Kissing them gently on their heads wishing them pleasant dreams had as well.

Once the door to my room was closed all I did was stare at my bed. Sleep wasn't going to be easy tonight, which made me more tired than before I left Cainis' parents. I opted for a shower before attempting to get any rest, if any at all.

The water hit my face like a spring.

This shower was going to be a long one because I didn't want to get out and face anything, Cainis, his pack, his parents, Basel, Lincoln, I wanted a break and I was taking one.

I came here for the twins not to live happily ever after, besides I'm leaving in a year to go back to Los Angeles, why should I give Cainis false hope when I wasn't sure myself anymore?

I hated the games my mind was playing, one minute everything was okay and the next it's not, I need something to be simple for once, where I can understand what's happening.

The whole thing with Hannibal had me confused all in all. He knew things that he shouldn't, randomly goes into screaming fits and cries, why?

I wasn't sure if me, being the parent, should be asking why but I couldn't take it back.

I didn't bother putting anything on after getting out, simply wrapping the towel around my waist.

I went to the bench at the foot of the bed and sat.
The bench made a clicking sound at my body's weight. I moved a bit to see if I had heard correctly then stood up and checked the side, rapping my knuckles against the side; it was hollow. I attempted to lift the top but found a latch was placed to keep it shut.

How had I not noticed this?

I needed to find the key. I felt stupid because I didn't even know the thing was anything more than a bench.

Unlike Mercy and Hannibal, I didn't change much about my room, all I did was change the sheets and blankets, added a nightstand and a tv.

I searched over every inch of my room and nothing. I was beginning to give up on it, I didn't even know why I wanted it opened so badly. I sat back down to take a look around.

Where could he have put the key? I was doing the 'if I were a key'. I was frustrating myself not being able to find it.

Then suddenly it made sense. I looked under the bench, the most simple of places.

It was tucked in a corner delicately with tape holding it up. I did a mental victory shout and grabbed it.

I rolled the key around in my fingers debating whether I should open it but my curiosity got the best of me, another habit I've always carried with me.

I got on my knees and looked in being cautious of what I could find but all that was there was a piece of paper folded in a business like manner. Still ever so cautious I reached my hand in and grabbed the paper, picking it up easily.