XX

*Cainis' Pov*

I woke again early the next morning.

Keller was still asleep with his head by my side. I moved my hand, running my fingers through his hair. I knew there was not a single mistake in him being my mate because I did indeed need him.

I thought on what Nox had said in my dream. I felt like she hadn't told me everything.

Why were these shifters coming after my land?

It made me uneasy. I had a little under two months to tell Keller everything and even if he chose to leave, I was still willing to die to protect my people.

"What are you thinking about."

His voice sounded groggy from sleep.

"It can wait, why don't you come up here with me?"

I wanted his full touch not just his hand.

"You know I can't do that, Bethany would have my ass if she saw me up there with you."

I rolled my eyes.

"For one Beth is too sweet a woman, the worse you would get is a lecture and I said it's okay, now get up here."

He shook his head.

"The last thing I need is a lecture and hurting you by being up there."

Why does he rationalize everything?

"How about I put it this way, come up here willingly or I'll drag you up here."

All I wanted was him. Was that so bad?

"You wouldn't." He dared.

"Try me." He still didn't make a move.

"Okay have it your way."

I moved towards him and saying it didn't hurt like a bitch would be lying but I wanted him more than it hurt.

"STOP."

I paused.

"Fine I'll do it."

I scooted over giving him room. He crawled on the bed carefully as if moving the bed slightly would kill me.

I waited until he was situated before wrapping my arm around him.

"Was that so hard?" I teased.

"You're mean." He whined.

"I'm fine with that."

I didn't hold back the smile on my face. My mate was here in my arms where he belongs.

"Cainis?"

My name was a question this time instead of a plea.

"Yes?"

"Did you mean what you said last night?"

I turned my head looking down at him but he kept his eyes diverted to my feet. I put my fingers under his chin forcing him to look me in the eyes.

"With every ounce of my being."

I meant it.

"I love you to, I hope you know that."

He sounded sad.

"Then why are you so sad love?"

He looked away.

"I almost lost you."

"What do you mean lost me?"

"Before you woke up you went in some cardiac fit and your heart gave out. You were thrashing around. Bethany had me hold you down while she preformed CPR then you just stopped moving and your heart picked up again."