XXXV

*Lincoln's Pov*

I couldn't sleep right now, I was too wrapped up in thinking about Basel.

The only thought that scared me more than him dying is if he survives he'll blame me.

How could I live with myself then?

I roamed aimlessly around the house needing to keep busy somehow but I wasn't leaving, some part of me deep down hoped if I stayed here Basel would show up.

He would smile and hug me. Tell me he missed me.

Why did it have to be him? He was already so fragile, so timid and scared. My Basel was so loving and kind, why?

I lost count of how many times I had asked our Goddess but I wouldn't stop until he was here.

I didn't think of anything else.

I wish I could feel him, his tiny body and soft eyes, just lying next to him, kissing his thin lined lips that were almost bubblegum pink, anything that I could get. His sent was wearing away on my bed.

I shook my head willing my thoughts to disburse. I needed something else to occupy myself.

I turned my music on and went to the kitchen. Cainis was right, I needed protein.

As I was grabbing more of the salad Take Me To Church by Hozier came on. I sang along lowly but for some reason part of the lyrics really caught my attention.

To keep the Goddess on my side
She demands a sacrifice.

Basel had said he was important to Sage somehow.

Something about being too innocent and pure. Sage had told him he wouldn't live to see the outcome.

Could this be their plan?

I can't believe song lyrics made me jump to conclusions but everything fit perfectly.

Yet some things don't add up, why would Cainis be so scared to fight them?

Seems like just sixty pack members, evil or not, couldn't hold up against a hundred. I needed to talk with Cainis but it could wait like everything else.

I realized I wasn't even eating, too lost in my own mind to care. I just want to lay back down, I'm so damn cold.

I pulled the blankets over my head and burrowed myself in my bed. I instantly started crying, the tears never stopped.

"I-I'm so sorry Basel." I knew he wasn't here but I needed to say the words, see how they would sound.

My phone going off on my nightstand stopped my cries for a second, I chose to ignore it. I turned on my side and truly cried myself to sleep.

Fuck

I forgot how shitty crying yourself to sleep makes you feel the next morning. I didn't even want to move right now. I grunted and grumbled awhile before deciding I had to get up to use the bathroom.

I sat up and laid back down again, Goddess my head hurt.

Another attempt proved more successful, I had my hands pressing against my temples until I made it to my destination. Without second guessing I trudged back to my bed.

Can I just lay here all day?

I picked my phone up to check the message I had gotten last night.

Cainis to Lincoln:
We leave tomorrow.

Lincoln to Cainis:
When?

Cainis to Lincoln:
Whenever you and my father are ready.