Chapter 42

It didn’t seem like long before it was Christmas eve. We all enjoyed the little break from life with Danny and Adam, and I was in a much better mood from then on. The whole extended family was here, Aunties, Uncles, cousins and grandparents, plus any serious boyfriends and girlfriends. I don’t really know how we all fit in here. But we’ve managed so far. Ryan has been a no go topic. We’ve not really spoken, he’s too busy apparently. And he isn’t here yet. And I recall him saying he would be here for Christmas. I’ve been listening to ‘Christmas Without You’ a lot, in fact Zach sent me a link to a performance the guys did for some Christmas light thing. It was very sweet and Ryan dedicated it to me, I’m taking that as a promise. He better be here. And he is quickly running out of time to do so.

“He’ll be here.” My Mum smiled reassuringly, but I’m getting more and more stressed.

“It’s possible his flight has been delayed, he might not make it till tomorrow.” Dad added.

“Fine. Fine. I think I’ll head upstairs then.” I saw their worried looks, but I just don’t want to sit here and see everyone laughing and smiling. When Ryan shows up, then I can smile and be happy. Not a second before.

“Wake up Meemz, it’s present time.” Izzy was jumping on my bed. There was no Ryan. What a prick. I got up slowly, pulling on some clothes and waited with everyone else in the hall. Waiting for the stragglers. I had my phone in my pocket, desperately hoping for some form of communication from Ryan. Anything really.

“Come on then.” We went down, there were so many presents, practically filling the living room. Only a small pile for me, we had decided money was the way to go for me anyway. I was just opening the first one when I got a text. ‘At the door.’  It took me a minute to work it out, the last message I sent him had been ‘Where’s the morphine?’ I jumped up and ran to the door. Ryan stood there with a sheepish smile.

“Happy Christmas.” I didn’t reply, instead pulling him in for a passionate kiss.

“Never do this to me again. You here Tedder? Never.” He nodded into the kiss.

“I brought you a present.” He stated.

“What is it?”

“Wait here.” I stood by the door, what I saw next brought a smile to my face. A Labrador puppy, an adorable little thing too. “So if we ever do spend time apart, you won’t be alone.”

“I hate you and love you so much in this moment.” I laughed, moving to my knees to hold the little thing.

“It’s a he. Called Hudson, he was trained as a guide dog. I thought that would help us a lot.” Ry explained.