Chapter 25

“Sorry we’re late!” Ry called as we barged into the house. They all turned to look at us. And by all I mean all of Maroon 5, all of The Script, all of my immediate family and all of OneRepublic; except for one extremely flustered lead singer.

“Hi.” I greeted awkwardly, giving a small wave.

“Why are you two late?” I expected that from my Dad, but no, it came from Adam, who was sat there judging us.

“We kinda slept in.” I admitted.

“Not to mention the awful traffic on the way over.” Ryan added.

“Why exactly have we been summoned?” I asked, me and Ry had been all comfortable in bed when his phone wouldn’t stop ringing. It woke us both up and was Adam demanding a meeting ASAP. So, here we are. They all just looked at each other. “Someone better explain something.” I muttered.

“You see, it’s just that.”

“And that.”

“But, really.”

“It’ll all be okay.” Was all I heard. Everyone shouting over each other and I got absolutely zilch.

“SHUT UP!” I shouted. “One person explain.” I ordered, all eyes fell to Adam.

“We’ve had some, urm, disappointing news.”

“For fuck sake, cut the shit and tell us.” I snapped, sick and tired of all this. They woke me up, drag me from bed, I couldn’t even sleep in the car because Ry didn’t know the way. That probably didn’t help, being so tired it actually hurt.

“Zac isn’t well.” He blurted, I scanned the room. He was sat right there, looking perfectly fine. “Not him, Zac Barnett.” I was shocked.

“What do you mean not very well?” Ryan asked, wrapping an arm around me.

“Well, no one really knows.” Brent sighed.

“Someone needs to find out.” Even I could recognise the hysteria in my voice, I was close to tears. I was so close to those boys, they were some of my best friends. I couldn’t lose them.

“That isn’t all.” Zach sighed.

“Zac has it bad. He’s in hospital, but they won’t tell us anything.” Adam was the one who delivered the bad news, more bad news. I felt like I’d been punched in the gut.

“But, he’ll pull through right?” No one answered me, and that was enough to push me over the edge, the first tear rolling down my face. Ryan was instantly there, wrapping himself around me, pressing a gentle kiss to my head.

“He will be fine. It’s probably something he ate.” He assured me.