Chapter 34

“Could you wake him up for me?” Dr Murphy asked, I nodded.

“Ry, baby, the doctor is here.” I shook him a little, his eyes fluttered but he refused to open them instead groaning.

“I’m perfectly fine.”

“No, wake up please.”

“I’m not ill.”

“Ryan Benjamin Tedder. Get your ass up and let the doctor decide.” I snapped, he did as I said, slowly pulling himself into a sitting position, the covers peeling from his skin, he was covered in a sheen of sweat.

“Okay Ryan, you remember me, Dr Murphy?” Ryan nodded. “Alright, I’m just going to do some checks okay.” He took his temperature and checked his throat, did some reflex things, asked him to cough, made him talk about how he feels.

“Can I lie down now?” Ryan asked, voice raspy and laced with sleepiness.

“Yes Ryan, could you drink this water first.” He handed over a drink and pulled me from the room. “This is strange, I haven’t seen this before. It appears to be bad luck, a combination of infections at one time. Since he is so reluctant to go into hospital I think he could stay here, I can get some antibiotics, once the fever breaks and his temperature begins to drop it should be alright. If it breaks 40 he needs to go to hospital, take it every two hours. Make sure he eats, he still needs those vitamins and minerals. There is inflammation of the throat, which could explain why he thought it was a ‘normal’ thing for him.” I nodded at all this information. “I will be staying nearby in case you feel you need more help, I will be back in about two hours with his medicine.”

“Thank you so much Dr.” I smiled. He smiled weakly in response before hurrying away, I went back to Ryan who was already asleep again. I brushed his hair away from his face carefully, I hated seeing him like this. This explains why he’s been acting so weird recently anyway.

“He’ll get better. You know what he’s like, he’ll want to be better just so he’s right. He’s so stubborn.” Zach chuckled.

“I know he is.” I smiled, I put on some music quietly. Shawn Mendes, because who doesn’t like him. Although a lot of his covers make me want to cry, it was definitely relaxing.

“He’s like my brother, you know, I just hate seeing him like this.” He sighed.

“I feel the same, he’s my everything Zach. Seeing him in pain, seeing him ill and hurt, it kills me. I want to be annoyed because he’s an asshole, and then annoyed because he is incredibly cute and I can’t be annoyed. Just for him to be his idiotic self.”

“He feels the same. He really does. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him happier with a girl before. Happier with anyone before actually. You bring out the best in him.” There was a silence, both of us just thinking I guess. “You know, when he ripped his Achilles playing basketball he tried to shrug it off at first, but finally we got him to admit how much it hurt.” He chuckled fondly.