My Section Leader's Secrets

By MISS_HOPEY123

Emily Greene is finally a freshman in high school and is joining her school's marching band. Everything is go... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

197 9 0
By MISS_HOPEY123

The next morning, I wake up sweaty and disoriented. A quick look at my phone tells me it's only nine o'clock.

I sigh as what happened last night floats into my mind. All of the things I learned. All of the things he learned. I push those thoughts aside, for now. I have to pack for band camp because the check in is tomorrow.

I stand up and stretch then head down stairs. My mom is running around as usual.

"Where are you going?" I ask, grabbing a bagel to eat.

"We're going to clean the shop and to the mall. If you want to come we can stop by Barnes and Noble." She looks at me hopefully.

"Yeah sure." I shrug. "Just let me go get dressed and grab some gift cards.

I run up the stairs happily. It'd been a long time since I got a new book from the store. As I pull on a random pair of shorts and a shirt I think about what book I might want.

You can't call me a nerd because I'm a geek... get it right.

When I finally finish getting ready, I head downstairs and we leave.

Our first stop is the shop. My Aunt Darlene owns a hair salon that she pays my mom to clean every week. We normally end up here on Sundays.

I walk inside and go to the back room to get the cleaning supplies used for the counters. My mom turns on the music and we have fun singing and cleaning. Before I knew it we were done.

Our next stop was Barnes and Noble. I walk inside and close my eyes breathing in the smell of the books. When I open them I see Olivia is already pulling my mom to the "Kid's" section. I start walking to the "Teen Fiction" and "Teen Fantasy" sections.

My taste in books really varies depending. I typically read anything about supernaturals. Vampires and witches especially. However, I do enjoy the favorites like Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars. My favorite series was the Vampire Academy series and the not yet finished spin-off series, Bloodlines by Richelle Mead.

I turn into the new releases aisle and start skimming. Like most shopping of any kind, it doesn't take long before I notice what I want. I'd been waiting to read The Maze Runner for a long time so I grabbed that along with the latest Bloodlines book. I had already read it, but I didn't actually own it.

I head back to the "Kid's" section and find my mom and Olivia arguing over books.

"What'd you get?" My mom asks smiling. I let her see and tell her I'll go pay and be back.

When I get up to the checkout I set my books on the counter and grab my money.

After paying I go back to my mom who has finally convinced Olivia to pick out some princess book, despite my urges toward The Magic Treehouse books.

Ten minutes later we finally enter the mall and start heading to Justice, Olivia's favorite store. We spend twenty minutes in the store before Olivia picks out what she wants.

After paying and checking a few other stores for anything else my mom might want we finally start heading home.

Shopping for books, I like. Anything else, not so much.

When we finally get home it's one o'clock. I go upstairs and start reading my book. A couple pages in, my phone vibrates. I grab it, not taking my eyes off the page until I notice it's Jackson.

I open my phone quickly.

Hey.

Well, good to know nothing has changed I guess.

Hey what's up?

Nothing much, you?

Man he sure is talkative today.

Going to get ready for practice actually. I put my phone down and grab my instrument heading downstairs.

I'm already at the school.

Why so early? I wonder.

Idk.

Well I'll see you in a little bit then I guess.

Okay.

I don't bother answering.

"Ready?" my mom asks, keys already in hand.

"Yup!" I say heading to the car.

The car ride goes smoothly and silently, I close my eyes and try to recall everything learned yesterday.

"I'll be here at eight!" My mom assures me as I get out of the car.

"Thank you!" I say walking over to the group of trumpets.

Soon after, Fern and Catie arrive and we start sectionals.

"Okay," Jackson says "now, we're going to have a playing quiz, no excuses. Lucas you start."

Lucas plays, what he can of the music and I stand trying to finger along. It doesn't get better as people play. Fern goes before me and is able to get out more notes than anyone so far.

When it's my turn, I take a deep breath and play. I was proud I only messed up a couple times and Jackson gave me a slight nod.

The rest of the sectional goes fast and soon we're heading into the school.

"Hey Fern, did Riley ask you if you have a roommate yet?" I ask as we walk.

"Yeah I'm with my cousin." She answers.

"Alright. Hey just so you know, in the block, you're right behind me." I say putting my case in its usual spot and getting my instrument out.

"Thanks." She smiles as the drum majors come out ushering us all outside yet again.

When we get out there and finish warm-ups Fern and I say goodbye to Catie and walk over to Jackson. I look at the yard lines trying to remember right where I was. I look at Jackson and remember I'm one person away.

Once I'm in my spot I point to where Fern should be.

"I don't remember where you are." Jackson says "Let me ask Mr. Smith."

"No it's okay, I remember she's right behind me." I tell him.

He ignores me and beckons Mr. Smith over. Fern doesn't move from right behind me.

"That's right where she should be." Mr. Smith says consulting his chart.

"Like I said." I mumble and Jackson glares at me.

When Mr. Smith walks away, I try to explain our moves, but as I look at her face, it's clear she's still lost.

"Don't worry, other people were gone too. I'm sure we'll go over it again." I assure her.

The practice was overall pretty easy, we didn't learn anything different than yesterday. We pretty much just ran through the block until the mistakes were few and far between.

I get in my mom's car and close my eyes. I was so tired and still had to pack tonight.

"How was it?" My mom asks.

"Good, now I just have to pack for tomorrow." I say.

When we pull in the driveway I head inside and almost make it up the stairs before I'm stopped by Jeremy.

"Good practice?" He asks.

"Um, yeah." I say standing awkwardly.

"Your mom is very proud of you!" He says smiling at me.

"Yeah, thanks." I say and start walking up the stairs. When I make it safely in my room I sigh. I wish he'd stop trying, I don't get attached anymore. It's not personal.

I grab some clothes and take a long hot shower. When I get out, I put my wet hair into a pony tail and grab my suitcase from under my bed.

I start grabbing my clothes and folding them neatly and in order. Shirts with shirts, pants with pants, etc. After I finish, I decide to consult my list of things to bring.

I skim over it checking things off. Sunscreen, bug spray, bathroom stuff. I had it all except something to mark the field with.

I decide to go with poker chips because they're easy, but I didn't know how many I needed so I decide to text Jackson.

Hey, how many poker chips should I bring?

Six is a good number. He answers right away.

Okay thanks.

No problem.

I go downstairs and ask where the poker chips are, grab six, and go back upstairs to put my initials on them.

When I feel confident I have everything together, I set it all in the corner and get ready for bed.

No matter what I did to try and get to sleep, my mind kept wandering back to Jackson and twenty questions.

I still don't like him, that's bizarre. He's just my section leader, and plus, my mom would kill me if she found out I liked a senior. Good thing I don't.

But, despite what I kept telling myself, he was the last thought on my mind before I drifted into unconsciousness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Lucent By ads ¡¡

Teen Fiction

182K 4.2K 18
lucent (adj); softly bright or radiant ✿ ✿ ✿ My brother's hand traces the cut on my right cheek for some minutes. I have no idea how a cut can b...
46.6K 3.1K 26
|ongoing| Ivana grew up alone. She was alone since the day she was born and she was sure she would also die alone. Without anyone by her side she str...
1M 91.1K 39
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
214K 10.3K 57
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...