The Boy Who Lost His Sight

By Bellaaa_

[SAMPLE ONLY. PUBLISHED IN OCTOBER 2016] - LINK TO PURCHASE E-BOOK ON MY MESSAGE BOARD! "Why are you being ni... More

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th
13th
15th
16th
17th
18th
19th
20th
EXTRA 1: TBWLHS ONE SHOT CONTEST RESULTS
EXTRA 2: Random Moments
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!
BONUS 1 - Riley's Letter
BONUS 2: ABOUT THE BOOK
QUICK UPDATE!
PRE-ORDER SESSION

5th

478K 10.6K 2.1K
By Bellaaa_

Dedicated to my Watty best friend Eunica. There are no words to describe how awesome she is, and she has always been there for me. Thanks dude ;) <3 

5th

*

"Alright, let's do this," I said, heading out the room, tugging Riley along with me. "So I have a question for you."

"Why am I not surprised?"

"You seem to be close to Ms. Gail." I started.

"She's my aunt. I figured you already know that, seeing you'd been stalking me since yesterday," Riley said sarcastically, shrugging.

I frowned. "Who said I was stalking you? I am just being nice, and helping my teacher out. I thought everyone do that."

He snorted. "Yeah right. If you're not stalking me, then you should've been able to explain why're you being nice to me," he stated. "No one really talks to me except you."

"Well. Like I told you, I'm just being nice, and helping out my teacher. Nothing more, Riley Flynn. Don't be flattered."

"Who said I'm flattered?"

"Geez, I wonder how Ms. Gail puts up with you," I rolled my eyes, turning into a corner. We walked down the hallway, with people staring at us. It wasn't as difficult as I thought — considering everyone moved away when we passed. 

I tilted my feet to lean closer to his ear. "Everyone is still staring at us. Do you think I should start waving my hand or something?" I joked with hope he'd smiled. 

Riley shook his head, and a smile spread over his lips. "You really are strange, Ellie." 

"Can you stop calling me weird?"

"I didn't call you weird. I said you're strange."

"They're synonyms, nerd." I said, and he let out a small laugh. I tightened my grip, and lifted my eyes to see his face. 

There's still a trace of a smile — that infectious smile on his face.

"You laughed." I mused, smirking. 

He scowled. "No, I didn't."

When we got to the classroom, I paused at the doorway. "Which seat is yours?" 

"At the back, the second table on the left," Riley replied, and I removed my arm from his and grabbed his hand — placing it on my shoulder so that he could follow behind me. 

"There you go, Mr. Flynn. Do you need anything else?" I asked as I helped him to sit down on the chair. 

Riley grinned, and I smiled once again the moment I looked at him. "No, I think I'm good from here," he told me. It took him a few seconds before he hesitatedly added, "thanks."

I shook my head. "It's no problem. I'll come to you later on. We'll go to the cafeteria together, during lunch."

"I don't go to the cafeteria, Ellie." He said, his jaw tightened a little bit, but his voice remained calm. 

"Yeah, yeah, I know. But now you're stuck with me so you just have to," I said, and he tried to protest. But before he could even do that I said, "I'll see you later. Take care!" and turned around, leaving his classroom. 

I think it went pretty well, don't you think?

*

"Come on!"

"No. I said no!"

I sighed. "Riley, please. Don't make this hard for the both of us. Are you seriously going to let me starve?" I pouted.

"You can go if you want. I'll just wait for you here," Riley said, sticking to his decision. "I'm not going in there. Not for me, and certainly not for you."

I crossed my arms to my chest. "I'm not going if you're not coming," I said firmly. "I'll just starve here then. It's bad enough, I didn't have any breakfast this morning."

He breathed in heavily, obviously trying to hold his anger. I just stood there, and didn't add anything else. Riley hesitated for some moments —  before he finally fell for my charm. 

"Fine. But we're going to sit far away from everyone else."

I smiled happily. I knew he had a heart. "Okay. I don't mind." I said, and looped my arm once again through his. We walked into the cafeteria, and whispers, and stares began immediately. 

It was uncomfortable — but it was still bearable. I took a sandwich, and a milk for myself before I turned my eyes to Riley. "Are you hungry?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "No. Can you be more faster?" He gushed, tightening his grip around my arm, and he really looked uncomfortable. 

"Sorry." I muttered, and after I got what I want, I led him towards an empty table at the back of the cafeteria where no one was around — except for a couple of nerdy guys.

I helped him to sit down before I took a seat opposite to him. "I got you these." I passed him a chicken sandwich. 

"I thought I said I don't want anything," Riley snapped, shrugging. I rolled my eyes, and slipped the sandwich into his right hand.

"I don't care. Eat. I don't want you to be sick," I said, and unwrapped a sandwich for myself. "I'm responsible in taking care of you."

I couldn't be sure, but I thought he rolled his eyes at me. "I'm not a kid, Ellie. I don't need a babysitter." he grumbled.

"Who said I'm your babysitter?"

He grumbled under his breath, but then I knew he was actually amused because the corners of his lips turned up a little. And I smiled  — when he opened the sandwich, and ate it. 

"Hey, Ellie!" I heard Reese's voice, calling my name. I waved my hand at her, and made a hand gesture, asking her to join us. 

"Who the hell is that?" Riley growled, putting down his sandwich which was half eaten. 

"My friend, Reese." 

"Don't tell me she's joining us because —"

Before Riley could even finish his words, Reese was already taking a seat next to me, smiling cheerfully.

"I never got the chance to talk to you today. Where have you been?" she asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

I chuckled. "Well - I was actually busy with something. Ms. Gail is busy so she asked me to walk around with Riley, help him with his class." I said, pointing my jaw to Riley who was scowling. 

Reese turned her eyes to Riley before back to me again. "Oh, yeah. Um, hi, Riley. How're you?" she asked kindly. "I'm Reese. We used to be classmates in sophomore year. I doubt you remember me, though." she laughed sheepishly. 

Riley totally ignored her, and he'd stopped eating his sandwich. I kicked his leg under the table, causing him to moan, "Ouch! What the hell? Who did that?"

"I did," I said dryly. "Reese was talking to you, Riley. You shouldn't have ignored her."

Reese waved a hand at me. "No, no. It's okay, Ellie. I understand," she smiled assuringly, before standing up to her feet. "I'd better get going. I need to visit the library first. I guess, I'll see you around then, Elle?" 

I gave her an apologetic smile, and waved my hand. "Sure, bye. I'll see you later, Reese." I said, and she went away from there, heading out of the cafeteria. 

I turned my eyes back to Riley.

"I can't believe you acted like a jerk to my friend. That's not a nice thing to do, Riley." I muttered, disappointed with how he behaved just now. 

"Well. I'm not a nice person."

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "You are. But you refuse to show it."

His jaw tightened, and his face tense. "How'd you know that I'm a nice person? You don't even know who I am, Ellie. You can't judge me like that." he said, increasing his voice. The nerdy guys next to our table were already staring at us. 

I sighed. "I — I just know. Don't ask me why. I can't give you the answer." I drawled, looking away from him. I seriously didn't know why I was still there — sitting with this jerk, nasty guy. 

I think the problem was actually me — I was too nice, and I couldn't help, but to try my best to help him because he's different or should I say, unique? 

I bet I'd do the same thing for anyone — and it's not like I helped him because Riley was just about the hottest guy that ever graced on earth. 

I walked him to every class, but we didn't talk to each other. I didn't have any mood to talk to him or to put up with his weird, cranky attitude. Riley was quiet too — and he was probably enjoying the silent side of me. 

When the school was finally over (much to my relief), I walked Riley to where he said Ms. Gail would be meeting him. We didn't talk — just silent ourselves.

Ms. Gail showed up a few minutes later, and sped up her walk as she saw us. "Oh, I hope I'm not late. I'm so sorry, Ellie. I hope Riley was behaving when he's with you." she said, panting for breath.

I nodded my head. "Yeah - everything's fine. It's no problem. I'm glad that I could help," I smiled, glancing at my clock. "I have to go now. Need to pick up my sister at her school."

"Do you want a ride home? Your sister can squeeze in with us."

I shook my head, waving my hands dismissively. "No, no. It's okay, Ms. Gail. My house is not that far from here, and I don't want to be a burden," I said, smiling sheepishly. "I'll just get going now."

"Okay, take care of yourself, Ellie. And again, thanks," Ms. Gail said, in a tender voice. "For taking care of Riley, and be his friend." 

I didn't entirely understand what she's trying to say so I just smiled. "Bye," I said to Riley, without expecting any reply, and made my way from there. 

As I was already a few steps away from Riley, and Ms. Gail — I turned around again. 

Tucking a strand behind my ear, I said, "Hey, Riley. You want, uh — wanna go to the beach this evening? I'm not doing anything so ... yeah. I thought we can meet up and talk?" And I laughed sheepishly all the way. 

Silent, like always before he spoke placidly, "I'm not sure. I may be busy this evening." 

"Right," I nodded, shoving my hands into pockets, rocking on my heels.  I didn't even know why I was doing this. "But — if you change your mind, I'll be there, you know? Same place, same time," I mumbled, smiling awkwardly. 

"Okay," he replied, and his face was blank. He turned his head to Ms. Gail. "Let's go home. I'm tired." he informed — and then he was gone from there. 

Ms. Gail shot me one of her tender smiles, and looked at me with an amused expression before she followed Riley from behind. I waved a hand at them, even though they already turned around — so they couldn't see it. 

'Shoot!' I slapped my forehead lightly as I remembered the fact my sister was waiting for me at her school. This whole Riley thing was really making me go crazy. I'd turned into something else, I guessed. 

I was practically jogging all the way to Sophie's school, which was ten minutes walk from my own. Her school was big; almost as big as mine. I figured every school in Florida was big - except if it has been just me who thought the school buildings around here was big.

I found Sophie, waiting on a bench - alone, and I felt really bad for her. I could see she kept looking around — probably wondering where I was. 

"Sophie, I'm really sorry. There's something — there's something I gotta do at school.  Sorry, I know I'm late," I said, putting my hand on my chest as I panted for air. "How long have you been waiting for me?"

Sophie sighed, looking at me with her pity look. "It's okay. It's not that long. You know, you don't have to do this, Ellie. I can walk on my own." she offered. 

I shook my head instantly. There's no way I would let her do that. "No, no. You can't. It's too dangerous. Never mind, I'll be here early tomorrow. I promise," I said, holding a hand up. 

Sophie smiled. "I know you will."

I laughed, and grabbed her hand into mine. "Let's go home, Soph. I'm hungry." I grumbled, rubbing my stomach using my other hand. 

She nodded enthusiastically, and we walked down the cobbled street with our hands intertwined together — and just for the record, I love my little sister. 

*

I was early. 

Not that I was excited, really — but I didn't know. After I had my shower, I did my homework, and then I'd watched some cartoons with Sophie, but still - the time was moving super slow, and I couldn't help, but to glance at the clock every twenty seconds.

Sophie was then terribly annoyed so she practically chased me out of the house — and she wouldn't let me come home until I meet the-person-I-was-waiting-for. I haven't told her or Aaron about Riley — I didn't want them to freak out, and think about it in the wrong way. 

So here I was, walking down towards the beach — wearing yellow sun shorts, and a white tank top. Like the other day, the beach was full of people — some of them were sunbathing, and a few of them were surfing, even though the waves weren't that huge, and nice. 

I flicked my eyes to the volleyball court as I heard a roar erupted from that direction. There were a few people playing over there — a couple of boys, and girls who looked not much older than me. And some of them even looked familiar. Maybe they're from one of my classes. 

Not that I knew who they were personally, though. They looked like they belong to the popular clique —  the jocks or even the cheerleaders. And certainly, they didn't care about any new students at all.

As I inched closer to the edge of the court — I noticed there were two girls in the audience, who seemed fixated on the two players on the left. No surprised there, they were the kind of boys who any girls were always crazy about. 

Especially the taller one with light brown hair in this tight, fit black tank top. He was good in volleyball too — I watched him score a point for his team, and the blonde, and her friend cheered for him instantly. 

They're both pretty and thin with perfect sun-kissed look, and obviously used to being the center of attention, and boys drooling over them.  

I turned my attention back to the game just as the cute guy scored another point. And then another. And still another. I didn't know what the score was but they were obviously the better team. 

The game suddenly seemed less interesting, and I turned to leave just as another serve sailed over the net. I looked over to the place where Riley, and I met yesterday, but there was still no sign of him. Maybe he wouldn't show up, and I was here for nothing. 

Riley did say he may be busy this evening — damn, I should've listened to him. I shouldn't have come, and wasted my entire evening here. He obviously hated me — why did I bother to help him so much?

"Watch out!"

I vaguely heard someone shouting as a full speed volleyball headed in my direction — directly to my face. My eyes widened, but before I could even react, the ball had slammed right onto my forehead. 

And then, just like that, I knew it was too late. I realized I had fallen down onto the ground — because I could feel the soft sand in between my fingers, and my butt sure was hurting. 

I opened my eyes, blinking — and soon, the blurry images had turned to normal. Up close, I saw the cute-light-brown-haired guy staring down at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, gasping. I tried to get up into a sitting position, and he helped me. Vaguely, I heard someone begin to laugh — and why shouldn't someone laugh? I looked pretty bad actually. 

I shook my head. "I'm fine, I think," I said, pinching my forehead lightly. 

He looked at me intently. "Are you sure? You want me to get something for you?" he asked, and there was a huge sound of contrite in his voice. "The ball knocked you kinda hard...."

I nodded. "You can say that again," I agreed, and he smiled apologetically. Up close, he was more handsome than I thought — he got this pair of mesmerizing blue eyes, and dimples on both his cheeks. 

"Hey Aiden! Are you getting back in the game or what?" the blonde girl shouted to our direction with hands on her hips — and she looked pissed.

The cute-light-brown-haired-guy craned his neck to look at her. "You go on first. I need to check if she's really okay," he informed before turning his eyes back to me, smiling. "Are you sure you're really okay?"

"Yes," I replied, this time in a more confident tone. "I'll be fine. You can go on and play. Don't want to keep her waiting." I said jokingly, and he let out a low chuckle. It was another cute laugh too — but it wasn't that special compared to Riley's. 

"She could wait. Um, it's my fault the ball hit you. You're sure you don't need anything? Water — or something?" he asked again, his blue eyes glimmering under the beach sun. 

I waved my hand dismissively. "No, it's fine, really. I'm used to this — and my head is strong like steel," I said, laughing sheepishly. I knew I sounded like an idiot, but what else could I say? — I didn't want him to feel guilty. 

"Here let me help you," he offered his hand when I tried to stand up. I took it, and he practically pulled me up — and seconds later, I was back on my feet. 

To be honest, my head wasn't exactly strong like steel. The pain was still there, and it actually got worse when I stood up. I squinted my eyes, and blinked a few times before I was back on earth again. 

He looked at me with a serious look. "Are you sure you're alright?" he asked again, for the hundredth time maybe. 

I nodded, looking around for a while. I had to admit, I was still in a very confused stage — and it was definitely caused by the volleyball. 

Note to self — I will hate volleyball forever. And ever. 

Then, it clicked — and I glanced at my watch instantly. "Oh, yeah. I gotta go now. Thanks for helping me," I gushed, smiling at the cute-light-brown-haired-guy. 

He tried to say something — because I saw him opening his mouth, briefly before I went away from there. But I didn't hear him though, and I jogged all the way towards the place I was meant to meet Riley Flynn.

 *

Do you think Riley would come? 

What do you think of the cute-light-brown-haired-guy? :) His banner is on the side ---> :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.5K 1.6K 34
Ever since the summer her parents passed away, every summer has been a terrible one for seventeen year old, Andy Neilsen. So the summer she goes to h...
13K 370 22
I had to admit, he was cute. His eyes sparkled nervously and his lips were a lovely shade of natural red. He had his arms crossed over his chest, a g...
8.4K 128 46
Harper and Riley have known each other their whole lives, but for some reason they were never friends. Every moment and memory, the other was always...
59 0 15
Jessica Simmons lived a happy life in Los Angeles, California. That is until her younger brother died in a car accident that she had to witness. His...