Control The Game (COMPLETED)

By beeyotch

(Game Series # 4) Charisse Faith Viste believes in working hard. She does not believe in luck, only hard work... More

About The Story
Chapter 00
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Epilogue (Part 1 of 4)
Epilogue (Part 2 of 4)
Epilogue (Part 3 of 4)
Epilogue (Part 4 of 4)
Special Chapter

Chapter 47

450K 16.8K 11.8K
By beeyotch

#CTG47 Chapter 47

My whole body was shaking from the conversation I just had with Jax. Pinilit kong huminga nang maayos. He's already panicking and I couldn't panic, too. One of us has to be level headed. One of us has to see the bigger picture. And he couldn't be that.

If it's Katherine related, Jax is far from level headed.

I took a quick shower and changed into formal clothes. I didn't know what Jax meant or what he needed from me, but I figured we'd go to Katherine... o kung anuman ang kailangan niya sa akin. If the Ramirez kid was involved, then this was going to be a huge case. The press was invested in that family—from election news to rape cases to murder cases and now, parricide.

That family...

God, I thought it was dangerous for Katherine when she decided to marry in that family, but I never actually thought this would be the trouble she'd get in.

Nang maka-labas ako ay nagulat ako pagkakita ko kay Iñigo. He was sitting on the sofa and there was a stick of cigarette in his hand and an almost empty pack beside him.

"Don't smoke," I said.

Agad siyang napa-tingin sa akin. His eyes looked different. Even his breathing felt different.

"Hey," he said, still holding the stick of cigarette in his hand. "Maaga pa, ah. Saan ka pupunta?"

I looked at him as I pressed my lips together. I couldn't tell him where I was going. He's working for the Office of the Prosecutor... I didn't want to put him in an impossible situation.

God, please don't let him be the prosecutor. Wala akong pakielam kahit sino basta lang 'wag siya. I really wish that he'd just focus on the Carson case because that was also a high-profile case. He didn't need to be involved in this one.

"Jax," I simply said, still not wanting to lie. "And please, stop with the cigarette."

But he didn't listen. Instead, he blew on the cigarette again.

"Wag ka ngang manigarilyo sa harap ko," I angrily said.

"Tapusin ko lang 'to," sagot niya habang sinusuklay iyong buhok niya gamit ang mga daliri niya. "Please?" he asked. "I... just really need this one, Cha."

Huminga ako nang malalim.

"You can't smoke in front of me," I said, looking directly into his eyes. "Iñigo, I'm pregnant."

I saw how the stick fell from his hand and on to the sofa. I thought he was going to pick it up, but he seemed... stupefied. Mabilis akong naglakad at kinuha iyon para itapon. I opened the windows to let the smoke out.

I looked at Iñigo who was still trying to process everything. This shouldn't be a complete shock to him... We weren't actively trying to have a kid, but we're also not completely not trying. We just didn't have the courage to consciously decide on having a baby because that meant putting a stall in our career—dahil aminin man namin o hindi, I'd have to take a back seat if I get pregnant.

And I wasn't too excited about that.

I love my job. I love working. I love solving cases. I love finding loopholes. I love everything about my work.

So every time he'd win a case, we'd have unprotected sex...

Para kapag nabuntis, then that's the universe telling us it's go time.

And he's been winning a lot of cases lately... kaya bakit parang gulat na gulat siya?

"Iñigo," I said when seconds passed and I still didn't hear anything from him. "I really hope there's a better opportunity so we can fully discuss this, pero may kailangan talaga akong puntahan. I'll just see you later, okay?"

I was about to grab my car key nang biglang tumayo si Iñigo at pumasok ng kwarto. He called my name before I could even get out of the apartment.

"Cha," he said.

Tumingin ako sa kanya, tahimik na naghihintay kung ano ang sasabihin niya. But even then, it's as if I could hear the ticking of the clock inside my head. Alam ko na kailangan ako ni Jax ngayon... but something about Iñigo was throwing me off.

"May... bago bang na-assign na case sa 'yo?" I had to ask.

"Wala pa," tahimik niyang sagot.

"Okay... Pero kailangan ko ng umalis," sabi ko.

But my feet couldn't take a single step.

My eyes wouldn't leave his face.

"Let's get married," he suddenly said. My eyes widened a little, but even before I could say anything, he quickly got out a navy-blue velvet box and opened it, revealing a silver ring with a small diamond in the middle. "I know..." he began as his eyes turned red. "Shit. Alam ko hindi 'to 'yung tamang panahon, but please, agree to marry me? Fuck. Wait. Mali pala," he continued and then got down on his knee. "Charisse Faith Viste, I know our relationship is not the general rule when it comes to standards of relationship... but I believe that we're the exception to the general rule and my love for you is the exception to the exception—"

"Okay," I said.

He blinked. "Okay?"

"We're living together and we're going to have a child—this is just a formality," I said as stood up and put the ring on my finger. He quickly enveloped me in his arms and I could feel the sigh of relief coming from him.

"I love you," he whispered in my ears.

"I concur," I replied.

"God, I love you so much," he repeated before cupping my face and kissing me for a few seconds.

"Iñigo, I have to go," I reminded him.

He nodded. "Yeah," he said with a little smile. "I love you, Cha. Always remember that."

I gave him a quick kiss before I headed out. Hindi ko maiwasang mapa-tingin sa kamay ko at hindi ko mapigilang mapa-ngiti tuwing makikita ko iyong singsing na bigay niya.

I always knew that he'd propose.

We share the same room and Iñigo's not good at hiding things. Matagal ko ng nakita 'tong singsing. I was just waiting for him to give me this. This would have been perfect if it happened on a day other than this... but I'd take it. At least we're engaged.

I was about to drive to Jax's condo, but he sent a text that he's in Batangas. I knew that this wouldn't be good. I knew that this would be a big problem. But he's always had my back and I'd never leave him and would give him whatever he needed from me.

Because I know that he'd do just the same for me.

Pagdating ko pa lang ay nakita ko si Jax na naka-tayo sa isang gilid. He looked like he was desperately trying to get himself together. Even from a distance, I could see him holding his trembling hand as if he was begging himself to calm down.

And his eyes... they were red.

Red with anger.

I'd never seen that before.

"Jax, what happened?" I asked.

I could see the trembling of his lips.

How tears threatened to fall again.

"How do you kill a dead man?" he asked.

Bigla akong kinabahan. What was happening?

Gusto kong magtanong pero hindi ko magawa dahil sa itsura ni Jax. His hands were still shaking, but I could see him trying to get himself together.

"Do you know if Iñigo is the prosecutor of this case?" he asked, sounding different. He looked like he's doing his best to be calm and be rational about this.

"I asked him. Ibang case iyong hawak niya."

"That's good to hear," he said. He's sounding like the lawyer that he is. Huminga siya nang malalim. "I know what I'm about to ask is a lot—"

"And I agree, but I'll do it, anyway."

"Sigurado ka ba?"

"Yes. Now, what do you need from me?"

Jax tried... God, he really tried to tell me what happened, but every time he began, he'd immediately stop like he couldn't bring himself to tell me what Katherine just told him.

I forced Jax calm down because that's the only way. He nodded and took a few seconds to gather himself. Nang matapos siya ay nilabas niya iyong cellphone niya.

"Yago," Jax said.

What the hell did happen for Jax to bother Yago?

"Yeah... Sorry to call you, but I have a favor to ask," he continued. "I have a problem and I need you to come home... Yes. Thank you."

And then the call ended.

Napa-tingin ako sa kanya. Pinunasan niya iyong luha niya nang mabilis bago humugot nang malalim na hininga. I was thankful that Iñigo wasn't the prosecutor... because I'd hate to see them in the opposite sides of the court.

Jax is great... but Iñigo's been doing this for a while now and he's actually really good at it...

When he finally calmed down ay pumasok na kami sa loob ng presinto. Agad kong nakita iyong mga kaibigan ni Katherine. They asked Jax, but they couldn't get an answer for him because he's lost in his thoughts.

"Is he going to be okay?" Anj asked.

"He'll pull himself together. He needs to," I replied. Tumingin ako kay Jax. "Let's go," I told him.

Wala pang masyadong media. There's a news blackout. We needed to get on top of things before they get out of control and blew out of proportion.

"Kakausapin ko muna siya," Jax said.

I nodded as I let him have a word with Katherine. I talked to the police first, and asked about the initial investigation. Agad na sumakit ang ulo ko nang marinig ko iyong alam nila. With Katherine as the only viable suspect, this would be hard...

Kaya naman pala tuliro si Jax.

"Okay na?" I asked when he got out of the interrogation room. He didn't answer, but only nodded.

I drew a deep breath before I got inside. I felt like the air got knocked out of my chest nang makita ko si Katherine. Hindi naka-takas sa paningin ko iyong posas sa kamay niya... Iyong bakas ng dugo roon...

And that defeated look on her face...

Like she's so tired and she just wanted to give up.

I smiled at her. I couldn't let her see that I was actually worried to see her in such a state.

"I never thought we'd see each other again like this," I began. She looked at me with utmost surprise and I couldn't blame her... We weren't exactly friends. We're far from friends... but Jax loves her and for that alone, I'd do my best to get her out of here.

Huminga ako nang malalim bago muling tumingin sa kanya.

It's time to be professional.

"Why... are you here?" she asked.

"Jax called me," I said with a small smile on my face. She needed to know that no matter how... hopeless she felt, Jax still has her back. He always has. Hindi naman nagbago iyon.

Jax has always been hers.

I'd seen that guy turn down girls left and right and made his job the center of his life... all for Katherine. Tanga lang ang hindi makaka-kita nun.

She bit her lower lip. "Ah..."

Napailing na lang ako. Her imagination must be running wild. I couldn't blame her though... Ilang beses na rin kaming napagkamalan ni Jax dahil madalas kaming magkasama. Kahit naman si Rory ay pagod na pagod na ring ideny na sila ni Jax. And other people outside my family and friends didn't really know about Iñigo.

I raised my hand, showing a ring on my finger.

I needed to clarify na wala akong interes kay Jax dahil baka instead na sa kaso ang focus ni Katherine ay ito pa ang isipin niya.

"I'm already engaged... but not to Jax. That guy's too broken for me to fix," I clarified. "I'm just here as his associate, Katherine."

Hindi pa rin siya nagsasalita.

It felt so different.

She felt so different.

Para siyang... kandilang paubos.

"I... I kinda feel responsible for your break-up."

"Don't blame yourself. It was my choice," she quickly cut me off.

She smiled, at least she's still got that spirit... no matter how waning. "Still—"

"He's a lawyer now. We got what we both wanted."

I pursed my lips. "Right." Then I paused. "I'm here because... Frankly, I'm here because Jax called to say that he needed a rational perspective. He's too emotionally invested in this case."

"I doubt that," she said like she believed it.

Hindi ko pa rin maintindihan kung paano sila umabot sa ganito... Kami ni Iñigo, we'd had our fair share of fights, but it's always been easy to go back to him.

One sincere apology and promise to change, bumalik na agad ako.

It's futile to fight it.

Sa kanya rin naman ang bagsak ko.

"Do you really think that, Katherine?" I asked her. "Because I just saw him before I got here. I'd known him since law school. I'd seen him get shouted at by countless of professors. I'd seen him argue in court. I'd seen him listen to sob stories from his pro-bono cases. That guy doesn't cry. Ngayon lang. Ikaw lang ang nagpaiyak sa kanya. Tell me, do you still think you're right?"

Hindi siya naka-sagot.

"Listen to me, okay?" I said. "Jax cares about you. A lot. So please, stop with the pity party because pity never won a case."

She still stared at me.

"Did you hear me?"

"Yes."

"Good. Now, answer my question honestly, so I can help you," I said before I got a pen and paper. "I know Jax asked you about this already, pero minsan, may mga nakaka-limutan o biglang naalala."

She nodded.

I began to ask her questions when the door swung open. Sabay kaming napa-tingin sa pagpasok ni Jax. His eyes weren't red anymore, but he's just faking it.

"Jax," I said. "I pulled files from similar cases. Ifa-file na raw nung prosec iyong case. Hopefully, mapunta tayo sa maayos na judge."

But Jax wasn't listening.

His eyes were on Katherine. How it must suck to see her like this... The person you love in shackles.

"I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about, but I think we need to settle our priorities here," I cut in. "We need to brief Katherine sa kung ano ang sasabihin niya mamaya."

Jax clenched his jaw. I could see his rapid breathing. "Tell us what happened that night," he whispered... barely uttering the words as if he didn't want to hear them.

I looked at Katherine and urged her to begin. I already knew that she allegedly killed Kieran Ramirez... but to hear the story straight from her made me want to throw up.

Paano mo magagawa ang bagay na 'yun sa taong mahal mo?

How... can you even claim to love someone when you hurt them?

I know I'm not the expert on love... but even I know that you don't hurt the person you love.

Not consciously; not repeatedly.

You try to do the opposite.

You take care of them... not this.

* * *

When Jax asked me to leave the room, napa-sandal ako at huminga nang malalim.

I'd seen cases like this... but it's different when you know the person who's at the receiving end of the accusation. Pakiramdam ko ay bigla akong nahilo at napa-hawak sa tiyan ko.

"Hang in there," I told my baby. "We need to help your ninong."

Agad akong lumabas dahil pakiramdam ko ay kailangan ko ng sariwang hangin. I stood on one side, just trying to clear my head because I knew that I'd be needing a clear head for this case.

I still needed to figure out a way around this. Hindi ako papayagan sa trabaho ko na tumulong dito dahil nasa contract ko na exclusive ako sa kanila...

And it's not as if I could make a case that Katherine's going to be my pro-bono case because we're all aware that she's the owner of the biggest logistics company in the country.

Sumasakit na agad ang ulo ko.

I tried to call Rory but she wasn't answering. Hindi talaga siya sumasagot ng tawag kapag nasa trabaho because she's dead set on showing her firm that they didn't make a mistake when they hired her... She may not talk about it, but I know that her BAR result did a number on her confidence.

Pero siya lang naman ang nag-iisip nun. Alam namin ni Jax na kung hindi ganoon ang nangyari, she'd have a high score... Dahil kilala namin si Rory. Maingay lang siya kagaya ni Yago, but she works her ass off.

I was in the middle of trying to call Rory again when my eyes focused on the car. Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang makita ko iyong pamilyar na license number.

Shit, Iñigo.

Shit.

Agad akong lumapit sa sasakyan niya.

Nakita ko na hindi na siya nagulat nang makita niya ako.

"Iñigo... why are you here?" I calmly asked.

"Cha, not now," he replied.

"You told me na walang bagong case na assigned sa 'yo—" I paused. "Did you fucking lie to me?"

"You know I can't talk to you about work," he said. "And I didn't lie to you. Cha, please... Gusto ko lang magtrabaho."

Nanatiling naka-awang ang labi ko, hindi alam ang sasabihin sa kanya. His phone vibrated. I saw the name of his boss. So... it already reached the high ups.

"Yes, Sir?" Iñigo replied.

I gave him one last look before I went back inside because I needed to warn Jax about this fucking surprise. Pero bago pa man ako makapagsalita ay mabilis na naka-sunod sa akin si Iñigo. I saw the alarm in Jax's eyes when he saw him.

Because we both knew how good Iñigo is...

And how harder this just got.

"Mrs. Ramirez, Atty. Yuchengco... I'll be the prosecutor for this case," Iñigo said, staring directly into Katherine who looked like the world just descended on her. Because of all people, Iñigo, her friend back in law school, will be her prosecutor.

God, Iñigo! Mamaya ka sa 'kin sa apartment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3M 1.4M 71
All her life, Mary Imogen Suarez was led to believe that she should end up with Parker Adrian Palma. Na dapat, kay Parker lang siya. Na si Imogen ay...
1.5M 51.8K 43
Nadia de Marco knew what she wanted in life and that is to be the most powerful woman in the country. Growing up in the Philippines, she knew that it...
1.2M 9.8K 1
(Game Series # 3) Avery Brienne Eliseo never wanted the 'normal' life. Ever since she was born, she already knew that the life she'd lead would be fa...
85K 2.4K 36
One-shots of my musings. In my head, they are just two souls waiting to take the leap. The question is, who will go in first? This description was ad...