Survivor

By hagreen6

Cassie Quinn, now a Senior in college has her life figured out. She's smart and funny with the heart to match... More

1| Introductions
3| Broken Home
4| And So It Begins
5| Crash
6| Doctor for a Day
7| The Power of Hugs
8| Uphill Battle
9| Safe Haven
10| Accident Magnet
11| Wash it All Away
12| First Night
13| Hunting Party
14| SOS
15| Good Eats
16| Smooth Sailing
17| Swinging Axes
18| Sinking
19| Theres Comfort in Conversation
20| Nightmares
21| Just a BDF
22| Hungover
23| Dark and Stormy
24| How Men Kill Time
25| Self-Defense
26| Reflexes and Rescues
27| Magic Mike
28| What Lies Below
29| Panicked
30| Wrench in the Plan
31| Family Feuds
32| Stronger Together
33| When Sickness Strikes
34| Goin' on a Ginger Hunt
35| Feelings for you (pt. 1)
36| Feelings For You (pt. 2)
37| Invasion
38| Repercussions
39| Ammunition
40| New Normal
41| Thin Ice
42| Great Escape (pt. 1)
43| Great Escape (pt. 2)
44| Where It All Began
45| The Final Bullet
46| Greatest Adventure
47| Have Some Faith
48| We're Here
49| Survivors
50| Family Reunions
51| Always and Forever a BDF
52| Statements and Affirmations
53| Nothing Fun About Goodbye
54| Home Sweet Home
55| Bonfire's and Fireball
Epilogue
Author's Note

2| Super Sushi

3.1K 97 59
By hagreen6

After about 5 hours and 17 minutes of singing and dancing my way home, I arrived at my childhood home in Spring Valley, Nevada. Actually, it was closer to 6 hours if you count the fact that I stopped twice to pee and once to get some fries from McDonalds. I had a craving. Reflecting on my drive, I maybe should have been paying more attention to the road and less on the music, but oh well. I made it back safe and sound in one piece despite my now fried vocal cords.

I had barely hid the evidence of my fries under the passenger seat and secured my phone in my purse when Carter came out of the house, a huge grin plastered on his face. He had finished his exams already so he was home for break. I swear the boy got bigger every time I saw him, which wasn't nearly as often as I wanted to. He chose to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I didn't know how he survived winters there because I heard they were terrifyingly cold. Yet, he seemed to love it, so as his ever supportive sister, I was happy for him. I got out of the car and was met with a huge hug.

"Hi Carter," I chuckled.

"Hey! So glad you're home! How was your drive?"

"Oh it wasn't bad," I squeaked out, clearing my voice and repeating it.

"You sound hoarse. Don't tell me you overdid it singing One Direction again?"

He knew me too well. "I might have," I admitted.

Carter helped me carry in my things, taking my duffel and stacking it on top of my basket before taking them both into the house. Carter was strong, so I let him take the big stuff. He was drafted for track and field at Madison for discus, shot-put, and hammer throw. Needless to say, he was a good person to have in my corner. Especially back in high school when kids would pick on me for my weight. Even though Carter was younger, he never hesitated to stand up for me, and given his size, people usually would back off.

He brought my things all the way up the stairs to my room, and I followed him with my backpack and rolling suitcase, of which I used both hands to dramatically hoist it up step by step until I reached the top. He set my things down on my bed with a huff.

"Jeez Cassie. I love you but you need to learn that there is a thing called NOT overpacking."

"Ha Ha. I'm going on a trip! Who knows what I will need. It's best to be prepared. Plus, I like to do my laundry at home when I can." My laundry in my apartment building was not in-unit. There was a rickety laundry room in the basement and for some reason, even as a 21-year-old woman, I still got the heebies being down there alone.

"Sure," he grinned and headed for the door. "I'll let you get settled."

"Wait!" I shouted a little too abruptly, "Where's Caralyn?"

"Oh she's grabbing a drink with Dan. She should be back any minute and then we will go to dinner."

Shocker that my sister was out with one of her old flames. Dan was someone who you might say peaked in high school. In fact, he was still living in Spring Valley, working at the same bowling alley, and probably jumped at the chance to take Caralyn out for a drink.

"Okay cool. Thanks Carter," I replied.

He nodded and left me to my old bedroom. My mother had left everything in here untouched from when I was in high school. My pale purple walls (my favorite color at the time) looked awfully childish when paired with my purple and teal paisley comforter and purple unicorn pillow pet named Raisin. Yes, like the dried grape.

I also looked around at some of my paintings that were hanging on my wall. I had a 4-paneled painting of a flower above my bed, and a few motivational quotes painted in calligraphy directly onto my walls. My favorite of which was a line from the band All Time Low that read, "Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year." Back in my days of self-consciousness, I would read that quote over and over again, reminding myself that life goes on and it will get better, and that it might just possibly be my year. Of course, on a depressing note, it never was, but I was okay with it now.

I was just about done getting settled when my sisters melodious voice sounded up the staircase. "Ohhhhh Cassieeeee!" She called out in a sing-song tone. My face split into a smile immediately. I was excited to see her; I really was. We had a lot to catch up on.

"Coming!" I screeched back and hopped off my bed, nearly tripping over my suitcase as I headed towards the door and bounded down the stairs.

"Hiiii!" Caralyn smiled and pulled me into a tight hug. "How are you? I missed you so much! Oh my god did you lose even more weight? You're so thin now!"

"Slow down," I chuckled in her ear, "I missed you too! You look great."

As usual, the jealous part of my subconscious piped up. She really did though. Her hair was somehow even longer and glossier than I remember it being, and she had fresh highlights. She was dressed in black high-waisted skinny jeans with a tan tank-top body suit that hugged tight to her toned, and tanned, petite frame.

"Awe thank you!" she gushed as if she didn't know she looked great. "We have SO much catching up to do! But first, lets go grab a table at Super Sushi. I'm STARVING."

"What, Dan didn't offer to buy you any food?" I teased.

"Ha. Ha. Very funny," she said before pausing to stare at me. "Wait, how did you know about that?"

"How do you think? Carter told me."

"CARTER!" She yelled and the sound echoed throughout the living room of our house.

"Jeez sorry Caralyn, I didn't realize it was that big a deal." She could sometimes be a little overdramatic, But hey, ya gotta love her.

"Oh it's not. I'm just getting hangry and we need him for dinner."

Seconds later Carter came sprinting around the corner. "What do you want?"

"Lets go get sushi. You're driving," she said as she rummaged through her purse to find the keys to Carter's car she had just borrowed. I could only assume that Dan didn't have one.

His eyes widened as if he was shocked by this turn of events. "What? Why me?"

She tossed his keys back to him. "Because it's your car, and it's also wine night at Super Sushi! Plus, you're underage so that makes you our beloved DD."

"Please Carter?" I added just to soften the demanding tone of our eldest sibling.

"Okay fine," he relented. "Mom left us all some money just let me go grab it."

*********

The car ride went just about how any ride with siblings probably goes. Since Carter was driving, Caralyn automatically got the front seat because it was "right of passage," as she claimed, since she was the oldest. And also, when I told her that her claims were B.S., she proceeded to whine about how sitting in the back made her car sick. Therefore, I was delegated to the back seat while Caralyn and Carter bickered about his driving skills, which was quite stupid since she was the one who told him to drive in the first place. 

Carter may have been Switzerland with my parents, but I was Switzerland with my siblings. Call it middle child syndrome; always the peace keepers.

Once at the restaurant, things had calmed down. Caralyn and I decided to split a bottle of the house Cabernet, and I took it upon myself to order a Diet Coke for the "young boy." Carter glared at us as we both snickered.

Ordering drinks was easy. It was the sushi that got tricky. I hadn't had a lot of sushi in my life, so when Caralyn was recommending rolls with eel and other raw aquatic critters, I politely declined. To play it safe, I decided to get one California roll, and one shrimp tempura. In the end, Caralyn got her eel roll and a gourmet rainbow roll, and Carter got 4 California rolls and one spicy salmon. I know 5 rolls is a lot, but trust me, my brother was a beast.

Caralyn and I didn't hesitate to dip into our wine. As soon as our server left the table, after performing some impressive wine service and poured to exact classy regulations, I grabbed the bottle and both glasses and decided to upgrade to what we called "the Quinn pour." This was basically our way of taking the bottle and pouring it's entire contents into both glasses in equal measure to ensure that we both got "our share" of the bottle. No more, no less.

Dinner with my siblings was nice. I sometimes got so caught up in my own life that I forgot how much I missed them. I took a big swig of my wine, letting it warm my insides as we chatted. It was almost sad how easily I felt my alcohol. Then again, I didn't eat much aside from my McDonalds fries.

"So Carter, how are things with Emma?" I asked. Emma is his girlfriend and one of my good friends from high school. She is a year younger than I am, and a year older than Carter. She was our neighbor growing up, so we were all always very close with her. As with all of the women in my life, Emma was beautiful. She was tall, about 5'10" with a model build. She had unique bone structure and full lips that gave her striking features, and long silky chocolate brown hair, olive skin, and freckles.

"Things are great! We see each other almost every weekend. She's actually on her way back to Spring Valley tonight if you wanted to see her before you leave."

"Yeah! That would be great actually. She mentioned that she would even bring me to my orientation tomorrow morning if you didn't want to," I added. It would be nice to spend some alone time with my friend before leaving for a month.

"Sure. I mean I can still bring you if you want, but if you two wanna go alone that's fine with me. So Caralyn... are you seeing anyone besides Dan?" Carter teased.

I thought her face tinted red but that could have been from the wine. I knew my face was feeling quite warm myself. She took a big swig before replying. "Shut up Carter, I'm not seeing Dan. He offered me a free drink, was I supposed to just decline it?"

"Yes," we both said in unison.

"How come your face is so red then?" I pressed on.

Her face split into a grin as she hovered her wine glass by her lips. "Because I did happen to meet someone."

Of course she did. I wanted to be happy for my sister, I really did, but it just seemed that year after year and boyfriend after boyfriend, I was the sibling who was always single. It was hard to watch your siblings and friends be so happy and to long for a love like that yourself. However, despite my jealousy, she always deserved my support. So, trying to be a supportive sister I took another huge gulp of my wine and responded enthusiastically. "Oh my gosh really? Do tell!"

Our food came right as Caralyn was wrapping up her story. Apparently, they met at a bar. Some sleazy guy had grabbed her butt and wouldn't leave her alone. So, as most women do, she turned to the handsome man behind her for help. His name was Grayson. Grayson told the guy to back off, and when he didn't, things got a little physical, punches thrown, you know, testosterone. Naturally, Caralyn found it extremely attractive that Grayson went to bat for her without even knowing her, and took him home immediately where they proceeded to have "gorilla sex" all night long. I know, romantic right? Straight out of a telenovela.

I had to give her some credit though because apparently it was still going well, and this happened a few months ago.

I was almost done eating when Caralyn asked me how my love life has been. At first, I shrugged her off by saying it was nonexistent, hoping she would move on but instead she asked, "so.. are you like, still a virgin?"

"Ew, Caralyn. I don't need to know these things about my sisters," Carter grimaced and set down the sushi he was holding.

I stilled and felt like my wine and sushi were going to come right back up. Yes, I had been a virgin up until my experience with Trent. I hadn't told my family about it or even Emma. Honestly, I was embarrassed and felt disgusted in myself, and after Alexa didn't believe me I assumed nobody would.

"Cass... are you okay?" Carter asked.

I shook my head and snapped back into it. "Huh?"

"Are you okay?" Caralyn repeated for him. "Did you do it? Was it terrible? I swear I'll kill the guy who broke my little sister's heart."

I shook my head. "It's not that..."

"Then what is it? We're your family, you can tell us anything. You know that right?" She pressed.

I took another big gulp of my wine and decided to confide in my siblings. I shared the entire experience, sugar coating it a little bit and not naming names, but it was essentially the full truth. By the time I was done talking, I had completely lost my appetite and my face was a blotchy mess. I was definitely not a cute crier. Just a few tears could turn my face red and blotchy in seconds. I couldn't even bring myself to look at Caralyn because I knew she was crying also, and seeing her cry always made it worse for me. Instead I looked at Carter, but when I saw a few tears in his eyes as well I almost lost it.

"Oh my gosh Cass... why didn't you tell us sooner? We could have helped you," Caralyn soothed.

"I'm gonna kill him," Carter muttered to himself. His fists were clenched so hard I thought he was going to snap his chopsticks in half.

"I don't know really. It's hard for me to talk about, and sometimes it feels like people won't believe my story since I was drinking when it happened."

Caralyn reached a hand out and set it on top of mine. "We believe you Cassie. What he did is NOT your fault, and it's NOT okay."

"Have you talked to mom about this?" Carter asked.

"No... and I don't plan on it. Please don't tell her you guys," I said rather panicked. I didn't want my mother knowing. I felt she would place some blame on me and I didn't think I could handle that. I could just hear her now: "Well why did you drink that much? You should really fix the lock on your door. Why was that man even at your house?"

"Cass, she's your mom. She loves you," Caralyn said, although I knew that she could tell that in mothers' eyes, we weren't all equal.

"Can we just put this behind us? Who wants dessert?" I said in a tone that indicated the conversation was over, and it was time to move on.

_________________________________________________

Hello Hello!

And just like that, Chapter 2 is finished! Once again, I realize my grammar isn't the best, and as a first draft it probably has some typos. Sorry about that. BUT, what do you all think? How was meeting Cassie's siblings? I am really excited to get to the "romance" part of the book, but all of this background I think is important in order to establish who Cassie is as a character. What do we think.. do we like her? I was trying to create a relatable character for people, and hope I am succeeding in this. As always, leave your comments and suggestions for me! I'm sure it will really help me out later when writers block sets in. I already had it on this chapter to be honest. Anyway, thanks for reading!

-Haley

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 670 70
*MATURE BECAUSE*: It contains serious, sensitive and triggering topics like self-harm, unhealed trauma, assault, murders, etc. Reader discretion is a...
89 0 13
"Who the fuck are you?" I state. Why the hell is some random ass man standing right outside my door. "Your new bestfriend!" He smirks. Cameron is 19...
6.3K 65 5
Beth thinks a casual encounter with a stranger at a party is a one-time thing, but he seems to have other plans. She is a brilliant young mathematics...
501 97 35
Someone's tricking him, playing with his life. He never realized that, he thought it was his fault the whole damn time. He was so much in misery that...