Remember. Smile. [Hunter x Hu...

By defenestrater

"Sometimes life brings you to such a pathetic situation that you feel smiling is far better than explainin... More

Errememba
1. Hunter Exam is Today~
2. Names' Kosai!
3. Pastafarianism rules.
4. I'm just better than you.
5. I felt cool.
6. Gourmet Hunters!
7. You're on fire, Kosai!
8. We have quite the selection this year.
10. Care to play a game with me?
11. Trick Tower?
12. No hard feelings, kay?
13. Monsters, huh?
14. Please select a path.
15. Step Two, Determine My Hunter.
16. I Can't Die!
17. Ne~ Gon-kun's amazin'!
18. So be it.
Ngconfrontih.
19. That sounds familiar...
20. Next stop, Kukuroo Mountain!
21 ...Understand?
22. September 1st, Yorknew City!
23. The Heavens Arena.
24. Osu!
Bonus
25. Start making sense!
sorry ;-;

9. One question each!

2.5K 138 11
By defenestrater

Then, they were escorted by the green bean man—or as Kosai nicknamed Bean-kun—onto the airship, along with the other 40 contestants who had passed.

(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。*

" Allow me to introduce myself to the 42 remaining applicants." The Chairman said "I am the chairman of this year's Hunter Exam selection committee." "And I'm his secretary, Beans." The short Green man next to Netero added.

'Beans huh. So Bean-kun isn't really that off.'

"We are expected to arrive at our destination at 8 AM, tomorrow. You'll find dinner waiting in the dining hall. You're also free to get some rest and other words you are free to do as you please until you are contacted." Beans explained

Excited at the secretary's words, Killua exclaimed "Okay! Let's go explore the airship!" Already running off, not even hearing the others' answers.

"Yeah!"

"Ya' think they'll let us on the top of the blimp?"

The other two ran after the white-haired boy.

Leorio, who saw the three energized kids, questioned "How can they have so much energy? I'm getting tired just by looking at them." 

"You can say that again." Kurapika agreed, just as tired. "However, I do have one concern...."

"Huh? What is it?" Leorio asked, half curious, and half just wanting to go to bed.

"How many more phases are there?" Kurapika questioned 

"On average, there are five to six phases." Tonpa butted in, from behind them.

"You should be careful." He warned" The secretary only told us when we'll arrive at our destination, it's possible that the third phase of the exam will happen right here on this airship"

He had a dark aura around him, and if Kosai was here, she would quickly point out that he was terrible at acting, and was just obviously trying to scare them.

"Huh?! Are you serious?" 

However, this is Leorio, the idiot who would believe anything when awake, and even more so when tired.

" You might wake up to discover that the phase has already passed. If you plan to make it to the next phase, don't let yourself relax on this airship." Tonpa, warned with a sinister grin.

٩(๑˃́ꇴ˂̀๑)۶

"Hey, how many applicants do you expect to make it?" Menchi asked the other examiners in front of her, enjoying the dish in front of her—if any of the examinees were to see this, they would have yelled at her in anger. Earlier, she had almost failed them all because she was 'full', clearly, it was a lie.

"You mean pass the exam?" Buhara clarified, sitting next to a tower of plates.

"Yep." Menchi answered, cutting a piece of steak "This year, we have an impressive group. Though I did fail them all at one point."

"But doesn't it depend on what the upcoming phases consist of?" Buhara answered back with a question.

"I guess that's true. What do you think, Satotz?" Menchi asked again, shifting her attention to the lavender haired man"

"Oh, yes. I like the rookies this year."

"Ha! So you agree? I think #294 has a good shot." Menchi exclaimed, thinking about the bald ninja.

"I'm partial to #99." Satotz answered.

"He looks like a selfish, spoiled brat." Menchi commented, dipping her piece of steak in the sauce.

"What do you think, Buhara?"

"Well he isn't a rookie, but #44 is the one I favor." Buhara answered, placing another plate on his tower. "I'm sure you noticed, but when #255 was throwing a fit, it was #44 who was really on the verge of killing someone." 

"You all make very good predictions," An unknown voice cut in. "There's a good chance all of them will be making it through the exam.

"Chairman!" Menchi exclaimed.

"Good evening." The chairman greeted. "I hope I'm not intruding."

"Of course not." Satotz replied, "I am quite curious though."

"Hm?" The chairman hummed in acknowldgement.

"Which of the contests do you think has the best chance to pass the exam?"

The chairman pondered his thoughts for a while. "I do not think that she has the best chance of passing the exam, but I am personally rooting for #151."

He recalled the events of the second stage, and her jumping off the cliff a second time, "She certainly is quite energetic."

"She caught my attention too." Menchi confessed, "When the contestant were all grilling the pigs, I believe she was trying to make a noodle dish of some sort. Granted, she failed miserably, but she did have the right idea.

"Me too!" Buhara continued, "Did you know she was completely on fire? It was when..."

( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧

"Hey, there! Kids!" 

A loud yell could be heard, along with the rambling of pots and pans.

"Stay out of the kitchen!" A chef yelled, dropping two cheeky kids out the kitchen door, who each held a piece of meat in each of their hands.

Then, with a cheeky grin, Kosai walked out the door all on her own, carrying a bowl full of chicken wings.

"Woah!" Gon gawked. "You're amazing, Kosai!"

Kosai proudly puffed her chest up. "I have lots o' experience."

"That's not really something to be proud of."

Kosai deflated. 

"Ne~ Gon-kun, let's share these, I can't eat them all anyway."

"Really?" Gon beamed, "Thanks!"

"Now, that's just blatant favoritism!" Killua pointed at Kosai accusingly, who just stuck her tongue at him.

(=`〜'=)

"Wow, awesome!" Killua exclaimed, dashing towards to a window, "Look!"

"Hmm?" Kosai hummed in confusion "What is it?"

"Whoa! It's like the ground is covered in jewels!" Gon admired looking at the city below.

"Yeah~" Kosai agreed, finally seeing the view. "Itsr son ulbeautife..." She whispered to herself. 

Killua and Gon both heard what she said clearly. They looked at each other, then shrugged. Probably, her native language or something.

"Hey, I was wondering!" Gon exclaimed.

"Hm?" Killua hummed, pretty much forgetting about the view. 

"Where are your mom and dad?" Gon asked.

"Me?" Killua pointed at himself, and Gon nodded.

"Hmm.. They're alive. Probably." He answered.

Kosai snickered, "Pfft, probably"

"What do they do?"

"They're assassins."

This caught Kosai's attention, as Gon asked "Huh? Both of them?"

"Really? How 'bout your siblings?

"That's your first reaction?" Killua Exclaimed, and started laughing out loud . "You really are a riot! Huh? You're the first people who've ever responded seriously."

Gon looked at him weirdly, while Kosai cocked her head to the side, holding her finger against her cheek, while she still had her feline grin.

"Well, you're telling the truth, right?" Gon asked. Kosai nodded in agreement
"What makes you think that?"

"Just a hunch, I guess~" Gon responded, and Kosai added "Plus, if you lied, I could tell."

"Nef says I'm like a human lie detector!" She declared, proud of her title.

"That's weird." Killua stated bluntly.

Kosai grew a tick mark.

"People only like me because they can't ever tell whether I'm serious." He explained, and looked out the window, with a now serious face.

"I'm from a family of assassins." He admitted once more. "So they're all assassins. And my family has really high hopes for me, But I can't stand it. Who wants to have their life planned out for them? When I told them I wanted to decide my own future, they all snapped! My mother had tears streaming down her face, as she told me I have the potential to be a top assassin." Gon chuckled, while Kosai just continued looking at him in amusement.

"Horrible parents, right? It's natural their kid would go bad." He continued "We ended up fighting. So I stabbed my mother in the face, my brother in the side, and ran away from home." He explained, as if it were the most natural thing ever, Gon got a little weirded out, but Kosai stayed unbothered, still wearing her grin.

"That totally explains your horrible personality."

"You're one to talk." Killua retorted. 

"I'm sure they're out for blood now. But if they find me, I'll send them packing. When I become a Hunter, I'll start by capturing my family. I'm sure they're worth some hefty bounties" He said the last part with sparkles in his eyes, and Kosai could've sworn there were sparkles surrounding him too.

"Hey Kosai!" Gon exclaimed, shortly after Killua finished. "Hm?~"

"What's your family doing?"

Unconsciously, her pupils shrank in size. Her grin got smaller, and if it weren't for the natural feline shape of her mouth, her mouth probably would've formed a straight line. 

For some reason, her arms also started shaking.

"Ah. My family?"

"They're dead. He killed them all."

She spat the words like they were poison.

The boys looked worried. After all, since they had met her, she was cheerful, no matter what you threw at her. Even when you could tell she was extremely irritated, she still maintained a strained smile on her face.

"Uh.." Gon started, "You don't really have to talk about it if you don't want to..."

Killua nodded in agreement.

Kosai looked up at them, her irises returning to it's normal size, and she grinned, brighter than she had before. 

" That ain't fair." She determined, crossing her arms and shaking her head. "I don't really like talking 'bout them, but ya' told me 'bout yours." She said pointing at Killua. 

"And, I know Gon is gonna tell about his too." She held up one finger on each hand. "So, ta' make it fair. One question each, ask whatever ya' like."

"Are you sure? You didn't seem like you wanted to talk-"

"How large is your family?"

"Killua!" Gon whisper-yelled. "You can't just say that! You saw how scary she looked! And I never thought Kosai could look scary at all."

"She did tell us one question each!" Killua whispered, "Plus, I know what you're talking about, if she didn't just look horrifying, I would've asked about something way more personal. Like, who was the one that killed them?!"

Kosai stared at the two of them, and burst out into a fit of laughter.

"Ya' know." She giggled, "For a kid from a family o' assassins, I'd think you'd be a lot better at whispering than this."

"Oh, shut it." Killua retorted, "If you didn't have that stupid super hearing, I'd be making more of an effort."

"Eh? You have super-hearing? That's so cool Kosai!"

She smiled, and for the first time in years, the smile reached her eyes.

She hasn't felt this happy in a while now.

~~~~~~

First sign of character development! Yay!

Kosai's Fun Fact of the day

Ever since she was 5, she would have a habit where she consciously shakes her arms when she feels threatened. 

She didn't know why, but the action reminded her of, 'Hey, it's fine, you've been through worse.'

This later evolved into a habit she did to remain concentrated on something, and always calmed her down.

Published: -/12/19

Edited: 25/7/20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.1K 2.2K 20
Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio were (y/n)'s best friends. They were the her friends, her everything, her...family, not that her real ones care abo...
279K 7.7K 51
You, Y/n are Leorio's twin sister (non identical) and you take the hunter exam to reunite with your older brother! Seems wholesome, right? That's unt...
590K 26.5K 100
|1ST PLACE IN KILLUA FOR HUNTERXHUNTER WATTYS| In which a young girl meets the boy of her dreams. But if she loves him, she would ki...
449K 14.6K 33
COMPLETED at 79092 Words (only story) 'Remember. Control.' Ding. I walk into a underground tunnel that seems to have no exit except the weird elevato...