Two Hearts in a Cold Street

By heoltrouble

Two souls would never far away from each other, they said. But what if there's two old souls couldn't recogn... More

The Casts
1. Hi~
2. Curious Cat
3. Telling Friend
4. Catching Feeling
5. No, no, no
6. Encouragement
7. Doodle Club
8. Sweetener
9. A Night To Remember
10. Us
11. After
12. Distraction
13. Friends
14. Time Ticking
16. Q and A
17. Mitchell's Birthday Surprise
18. It was okay
19. You, again
20. Pain(t)ball
21. Competition
22. I heard here and there
23. Between Men
24. Family Dinner
25. Begging
26. An Uninvited Cupid
27. New Friend
28. It's a Date
29. Dean's Story
30. Progress?
31. Well..
32. He's here!

15. Coincidence

30 4 0
By heoltrouble

I looked at 6 packages of pocky, 4 bags of chips, 1 liter chocolate milk box, 10 packs of my favorite peanut butter biscuits then grinning like an idiot as I pictured how I would enjoy all of them tonight while watching Elite on Netflix.

"It's 10.000 Won." a the cashier lady, probably same age as me smiles.

"Oh, okay." I gave her my card and process the payment. I could see the raindrop through the glass door, it's drizzling outside and I don't know when it started.

"Thank you, please come again next time." she gave me back my card and smiled politely which I returned her favor by nodding at her, smiling big time.

"You're welcome." I nodded at her then take my reusable bag to carry all of my stuff, obviously can't wait to go back at hotel and munch all those snacks.

Few steps later I succeed making an exit from the store and thinking to wait more few minutes until the rain stop, the distance from the store to hotel wasn't far, it's only one block and probably only takes 5 minutes walk.

I was tempted to eat one of  biscuits while waiting, maybe one package would be nice company. But when I was about to rummage what's inside my bag, I heard something drop then some of plastic bottle of yogurts were rolling on the floor and stopped as it hit the tip of my shoe.

As my spontaneous reaction, I quickly bent down to pick the bottles and turned out It was my favorite yogurt brand.

"This is the best yogurt." I mumbled as I hand them back to the woman whom I assumed was the owner of the bottles since she was busy bending down as well, picking up her things.

"It's delicious right? The best among the other brands." she exclaimed with a hint of enthusiasm.

I was stunned for seconds. I guess I did say it loud, leaving me nothing but deep shade red on my cheeks out of embarrassment.

"Thank you  for helping me.." she added while I keep staring at her. It was rude, I know but praise the Lord because she didn't scold me. 

She wasn't Korean if I could describe her. Brunette hair with probably 5'6 feet tall, which was taller than me, obviously. She probably in her late forty, middle age woman but still looks beautiful, her hazel eyes were noticeable along with her long lashes. I know it's rude to keep looking at her, but I just can't stop staring.

"No worries." I finally said, offering her my best awkward smile.

"I'm Lilia, by the way.." She smiled genuinely, the kind of smile that is not because someone being polite to you, it's heartwarming smile. 

I shook her hand as she extended out hers, offering a handshake.

"Nice to meet you..?" She looked at me eagerly, giving me hint that she was asking me for my name.

"Charlie." I said, "It's Charlie, Ma'am."

"That's a cute name." She commented, so friendly that suddenly I miss my mom back at home.

"Thank you." I didn't know why I feel shy as I look at her. Her eyes reminding me of someone but I couldn't pull out any name.

"You're so nice and polite. I wish I could persuade you to call me Mom than Ma'am." she chuckled, "I've always want a daughter, at least one."

"She'll look pretty just like you." I replied, not for politeness but it's the truth. I wonder what her family looks like because she indeed as if she comes out from fashion magazine.

"Aww, that's so sweet. It could be true, but my sons turned out just looks like their father with hint of me, only this amount." she made a gesture, closing the distance between her thumb and index finger, almost touching each other. I was sure she's exaggerating but I found myself chuckling at her story.

"But they're cute, right?" I asked, making assumption by looking at her, her sons probably still on junior high school. 

"Cute? Wait until you see one of them." she scrunched her nose in funny way, we both laughed a little until a red Rubicon Jeep came in the view.

I denied repeatedly in my head, telling myself that it's just red Rubicon. Everyone could have it, not only specific person that I knew. Yet myself control ruined when I heard someone's steps against cold and wet pavement getting closer from where Lilia and me. 

 "Sorry, Mom. I fell asleep-" his eyes met mine and widened, I bet mine look exactly the same as him.

Jesus Christ, why?

I quickly looked away, settling my eyes on my black oldskool vans, trying my best to keep focus on my tie shoes.

They were dirty.
I need to wash them when I get my day off.

"That's fine, baby.. I'm glad I didn't have to wait alone." I heard Lilia reply, no hint for anger or disappointment. That won't be, please tell me it's not like what I thought.

I wish I could teleport right away from the store to my hotel room that moment, this isn't like what I ever imagined.  

"Charlie, this is one of my not so bad sons that I told you earlier." she obviously didn't catch the awkward atmosphere between three of us. "Dean, this is Charlie."

Just what kind of coincidence is this?

We looked at each other and I couldn't read what's behind those expression, never. Those eyes just look at me with such no emotion.

"Hey, Charlie. I'm Dean." he greeted then extending his hand. He was pretending that he didn't know me which made me feel terrible and relief at the same time. Terrible for making me understand that he didn't want to his mom knows that we've met before and relief because if he implied that he knew me, then I was sure one of us would end up telling story how we  met.

I decided to get along with his choice.

"Hi, nice to meet you." I said as I taking his hand on mine then quickly pulled my hand back after a brief contact, I didn't want to deal with him if I could be honest. His cold hand sending me shiver somehow, I was sure it's just because the weather. It was raining after all.

"Me too." he said then turned to his mom, "Let me." he took the grocery bags from his mom's hand, still a gentleman.

"Come on, Charlie!" Lilia beckoned me to come with her.

I just stood there, staring her and confused as hell.

"We'll give you ride." she added, as if she knew what I'm confused about.

Car ride with Dean and his mom?
Can the universe be funnier?
Red flag. Red flag.
Danger. Danger. 

Bad idea. Bad idea.

Give her an excuse, quick!

"No no no, I mean.." I said nervously, trying to be polite as I can be to decline her oblivious kindness, "you don't need to, I can walk or hail a cab. The rain already stop anyway."

"What are you talking about? I won't let you to do that." she frowned, "I'm a protective mother of a daughter whom I can't have, which is you and I'm kinda offended you don't want my help."

I was torn between protecting my feeling or considering Lilia's feeling.

"Come with us, Charlie. Please?" Dean sounded like he's begging me, was he? Of course not, it was just my imagination.

Just what kind of plot twist he planned?

"The driver already said it, he is okay." Lilia nodded in agreement. 

Can she be more serious? Referring her own son as a driver? 

Both of them waiting for my answer. I can't picture how bad it will make me feel if I joined them, there's Dean, he's the only human that I won't deal with, at least not in near future. But his mom was really nice, humorous and very welcome towards me. It was a contrast compared with how I feel about her son.

Lilia looked at me expectantly and I didn't want to offend her, truthfully.

"If it doesn't bother yo--"

"Not at all, come on. Both of you will catch a cold if we stay little longer outside during this weather."

Dean's final words made his mom grinning and I knew I don't have any excuse to say no.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 296 47
A heehon fanfic. ------- In the mystical realms of Evernight, destiny wove an intricate tale of love and longing. Two souls, bound by an unbreakable...
14.5K 910 31
Love always happened in an unexpected ways, and some will always end in such luck. Sometimes, it's not about falling in love at first sight; rather...
32.6K 1.4K 18
Changkyun is just a college student. In his world, there's such a thing as soulmates. You can have one or many, having a soulmate means that you are...
218 23 11
Two wandering souls are waiting for someone to come and sweep them off their feet after their breakups. Can they find each other?