Smile For Me || Niall Horan

By SmileForNiallx

Alexis Blake has spent years of her life smiling through the pain and struggling to make money with only her... More

1: Say Cheese
2: Suspicious
3: Wishing On A Shooting Star
4: New Home
5: Time For Work
6: Sing Me To Sleep
7: All I Have To Do Is Dream
8: Big News
9: I'm Sorry
10: Taste Of The Spotlight
11: Tour Life
12: What Did You Just Say?!
13: Just Keep Swimming
14: Dreams Do Come True
15: Living The Dream
16: A Special Moment
17: Moving On
18: Meeting The Brother
19: Let The Games Begin
20: Preparing
21: First Date
22: He Promised
23: Lazy Day
24: Man Stealer
25: More Maggie
26: Forgetting You
27: I'll Be Here For You
28: Finally Forgotten
29: The Distraction
30: A Bit Of Love Hate
31: First Date Gone Wrong
32: One More Chance
33: I Love You Niall
34: Moving In
35: Escape
36: Protecting The Family
37: Sweet Home California
38: On The Run
40: I Don't Give Up
41: Life Is Like A Camera
Epilogue

39: Turning Back

34.5K 723 300
By SmileForNiallx

It might not be easy, but if it's that important to struggle through then it might as well be worth it.

"We have to turn back," I choke out, barely breathing.

I forgot it. The only thing left of what my mother gave me and I was irresponsible enough to forget it while we're being hunted down by a man who probably wants to murder us. Wow. Way to go, Lexi. Gold star for me.

"Are you insane? There's no way we can go back now. We've been driving all day."

"Austin, I forgot my necklace. The one that Mom gave me. We have to go back, please!" I beg.

"We can't. I'm sorry. I know how much it means to you, but I think your life is more important. We'll just stay at hotel close by for the night and tomorrow morning we can head out again, further into Nevada. By the time we reach there the cops will have arrested him again and we-"

"Austin! You don't understand!" I yell. Claire was sitting next to me quietly in the corner of the booth. A tear tumbled down her cheek, and she turned away from me. Everyone in the diner was staring at me due to my outburst. I stood up, banging the table on the way out. I ran outside. I felt a hand on my wrist.

"Stop," Austin orders.

"I'm going back. I'll catch a cab."

"No, you won't. I'm not letting you get killed. We've practically made it to the clearing, and you're planning to drive back now? I don't think so. The cops are guarding the apartment so when he shows up looking for us they can get him. Okay? He isn't going to get inside. He won't take anything. It will still be there when you get back."

There’s a moment of silence. We stand there in the dark facing each other, our breath being visible in the cold air. I looked at him, unsure. I heard a whimper come from behind me.

"Lexi?" calls a scared voice. I turned around and saw Claire crying, looking at me with a terrified expression. I relaxed and glanced at Austin before yanking my hand away and running over to her. I hugged her and stroked her hair as she cried into my shoulder.

"Shhh, it's okay."

"I'm sc-scared."

"I know baby. Everything is going to be alright. I'm sorry you have to go through this."

"I wanna go home," she cries, sobbing as a tear slips down my own cheek. She couldn't see though, with her head buried into my shoulder.

"I know, baby, I know. I wanna go home too." I see Austin look at me. I shut my eyes and wipe away my tears. "We're going to go home," I say, pulling back and looking at my little sister's eyes.

They weren't bright and happy like they usually are. They weren't full of wonder and curiosity. They didn't even have that bright blue sparkle to them. They looked dark and grey, full of sadness. They made her look broken, and it crushed me.

"We will go home, but not for a while. Okay?" I say, forcing a smile. Smiling through the pain. That's a skill I've mastered well, but right now it seems almost impossible to smile, even if it is fake.

She nods and I take her hand, leading her to the car. I take a deep breath, pulling myself together. I glance at the bracelet from Niall, hanging off my wrist.  A hint of a real smile tugged at my lips.

I smile just for you.

~*~*~*~

I pretended to sleep. Austin was in the bed next to mine in our hotel room. He was out like a light. Then again, he had to drive for hours today. He was probably exhausted. I couldn't sleep if I tried. How could I when the possibility of getting killed is floating around my head?

I was also waiting. What for? The time when Austin and Claire were fast asleep. I had a plan, even though it probably wouldn't work.

When I heard snoring from my left side, I realized Austin was sound asleep. I saw Claire, sprawled out on the couch, her mouth slightly open and the blankets falling off her body. I smiled and got up quietly. I readjusted the blankets over her body and slipped on my shoes.

Grabbing my phone (even though there's no service in this stupid town), money, Austin's keys to his apartment, and leaving a note for my siblings to read, I carefully opened the hotel door and scurried to the elevator which seemed to take forever.

Some people might call me stupid or crazy, maybe even insane, but I wasn't going to let that man steal something so valuable to me. Even if I died, I wouldn't want him to touch it. He would get his greedy, filthy, blood-ridden hands all over it. I couldn't stand the thought of that. I would rather die trying to get it before he does. At least that way Claire could keep it.

I hopped in the cab and told the driver where to go. I asked him to go a bit above the speed limit and handed him an extra fifty dollar bill. He sped it up. A lot.

***Niall’s Point of View***

"Hey! It's me, Alexis! Sorry I can't answer, but just leave a message with your name, and I'll probably call you back or something! Bye!"

I groaned in frustration as I received her voicemail. Again. I heard the beep.

"Hey, Lex. It's me. I'm really worried about you. Please answer. I don't know if you're mad at me or what, but just let me know you're safe somehow. I'm seriously freaking out. I love you! Call me back!" I pressed end and sighed. I hope she's okay. I really really hope she's okay.

She hasn't texted or called all day. I missed her voice. I've tried reaching her so many times I lost count, but she won't pick up. Of course my mind is coming up with the worst possible conclusions.

I wish she would send me something. A call, a text, a voicemail, a tweet, anything. Just something to let me know she's alright. The thoughts I'm coming up with are killing me. I'm sure Zayn's right, and I'm just paranoid. I hope he's right. God do I hope he's right.....

***Lexi’s Point of View***

The driver dropped me off just as the sun was coming up. I didn't spot any cop cars like Austin had said there would be. Wow, nice job lying to me bro. I walk to elevator and see an 'Out Of Order' sign taped to it. I groan and push through the door leading to the steps.

I ran inside and up the stairs. He was on the tenth floor. I had such a long way to go. I don't know where I found the energy, but I sprinted. As I took each flight of stairs two at a time, a million thoughts raced through my head.

What if the killer is waiting for me?

Floor 2.

What if he's already been here and left, taking everything in Austin’s apartment?

Floor 3.

What if the cops already got him and I've come all the way back here, disobeying my brother, all for nothing?

Floor 4.

What if he's not even loose, and he's still in jail? What if Austin only told me all this so I would come back to live with him? Maybe he actually doesn't trust Niall and doesn't want me to live with him. Maybe his approval of Niall was all an act...

Floor 5.

Austin wouldn't lie to me about that. He seemed to really like Niall.... He couldn't have lied.

Floor 6.

This is so tiring! Ugh!

Floor 7.

Almost there....

Floor 8.

Don't give up....

Floor 9.

Never give up. Ever.

I finally saw the large red number 10 marked by the staircase and I let out a sigh of relief, breathing heavily. I didn't stop for a break even though my legs burned. I kept sprinting right up to Austin's door.

My hands were shaking badly, so it was hard to get the key in the right spot. I was terrified of what I might find. I probably should have brought a weapon or something, just in case. Ugh! I'm so stupid! I finally fit the key in right and pushed open the door.

"H-hello?" I call out unsteadily. There was silence in return so I relaxed a bit and walked in. I was still shaking as I pushed open the door to Austin's spare room where I stayed last night.

The sheets were still messy and the door was ajar. My eyes went straight to the bedside table where I clearly remember leaving the necklace. But it wasn't there. A lump formed in my throat.

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

"Hey," says a familiar gruff voice as something was roughly pressed to my head. Hands grabbed my arms, digging nails into my skin. I stiffened. "Miss me?"

AUTHORS NOTE
;) TEEHEE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 8 109
One Shots about the band One Direction. Originally done before Zayn left
16.9K 696 23
Her face no longer bares a smile. Her cheeks stay tear stained, and her eyes are often puffy. The joyful girl I once knew is gone. I know I could ma...
58.1K 769 56
This is the story of a girl named Y/N and a boy named Harry Styles. They start off as best friends and are close. (But not as close as Harry and Loui...
48.8K 580 39
Sarah meets Harry by accident, when she helps him and the other One Direction members escape from the paparazzi. Harry asks her to be his girlfriend...