The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Fifty Three

266K 1.7K 221
By LaurenJ22

--------------------------------------

Dedication: Super_sejla for the banner! Thank you so much for it. <3

--------------------------------------------

Mr. Harlon's penetrating gaze bore right through my eyes and I swear into the back of my skull. I gulped under the pressuring stare. I shifted nervously, folding my right leg over my left and placing my entwined hands over my lap.

"So." his voice began. He sounded overly calm and collected. He leaned forward, resting his lower arms onto his desk and flicking his eyes over to Britney, who was still as pale as a ghost. I think she was still shaken up from the traumatic event. Well, it would have been traumatic if more had happened. "Who's going to be the first to speak?"

I turned my head to look at Britney fully. She looked over at me, her eyes pleading for me to take over. With a small sigh, I shrugged. "I guess that would be me."

"Ms. Ross, is it?" he asked, cocking his head to the side, his eyes examining me. "I don't believe we've had a run in before."

"I don't believe so." I replied, trying not to fidget. "Well, I was on my way to the pool, to watch the relay team practice, when I heard these voices."

"Go on." he urged.

"I could hear Britney asking... begging someone to stop, so I went and checked if she was alright." I explained, trying not to ramble. When I got nervous, I spoke at a ridiculous speed and no one had any idea what I was saying. You don't even want to hear about the comment I got from my Health speech. "I then saw Daniel forcing himself onto her. I went and grabbed something weapon like, just in case I needed to defend myself. After that, I returned and asked him to stop."

"How did Daniel respond to this?"

"Er- not well, I suppose." I said, scratching my forehead awkwardly. "He sort of told me to go away and resumed what he was doing."

"So you beat him over the head with a plank of wood." he stated. It wasn't exactly a question, but I nodded affirmative anyway.

"Yup."

"Aren't you step-sister to Daniel?" he asked, directing this question at Britney. I saw her flinch at the mention of them being half related. Now this was awkward. I had to bite my tongue in order blurting out that they were apparently 'in love'.

"Well, not technically anymore." she murmured so quietly that I didn't hear her. I looked at Principle Harlon and I believe he also struggled hearing her.

"Pardon?" he asked.

She repeated the sentence a little louder and he rolled his tongue across his teeth. He made a movement with his hand to continue. The way he was acting it was as though he was impatient and just wanted to get this over with. I refrained from pursing my lips at him.

"My dad broke up with his mum, so technically we're not."

Principle Harlon and I exchanged a brief glance. In my opinion, I would assume they still are but any who. I shall not put my two cents in. (Although I do think he agrees with me on this one). I was unsure on whether to bring up the fact that Daniel had done this once before. I'm not sure if that would cause more trouble or not.

As if reading my mind, Britney blurted; "He's done it before."

I sighed. Guess I didn't have much of a choice now. I bit my lip, unsure of how much to say. He's done so much to me, that it's hard to not lay it all out in the open. I never was that great at keeping secrets.

"To you?" he questioned.

"To Emma, right?" she asked, looking at me.

I licked my lips, feeling Principle Harlon's eyes on me. I wriggled under his gaze slightly, becoming even more uncomfortable. "It's true, he did."

"Was it on the school premises?"

"Yes."

"Why did you not inform any of the staff, or police, for that matter?"

"Because nothing serious happened." I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. "Jason Mayor stopped it before anything happened. I didn't want to make it a big deal."

"Jason Mayor was it?" Principle Harlon repeated, jotting down what I presume was his name on a piece of paper, which was located on his desk. I gulped. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned him. I didn't even think about it.

"Okay. Did anyone else witness this?"

"Just Mr. Jones." I informed him. "As for when it happened to me, no."

"Okay, well thank you ladies. I will be in touch. You guys are the victims here, so no punishment will be served."

"Thank you." I replied, nodding at him curtly. We exited and I locked eyes with Daniel, who was sitting in a chair at the front of the office, looking completely at ease. He glanced over and smirked upon seeing us both. Britney stiffened beside me and I grabbed her arm out of reaction. My eyes were scorching as I glared at him.

"Daniel." Pricipal Harlon said, beckoning him over. I dragged Britney out and felt the much needed fresh air wash over me. I inhaled deeply, shaking my head. So that had been slightly scary. I never thought I'd ever be in the office for something like this.

"I guess I should thank you." Britney muttered, averting her eyes so that she was staring down at her feet.

"No worries." I shrugged.

"I know we're not friends." she pointed out, not looking at me in the eye still. "So it was nice of you to defend me."

"It's what any person would have done." she looked up at me, gazing curiously. I physically bit my lip in order to prevent myself muttering that she probably wouldn't have done the same for me. Oh well. I will never know for sure, so no point dwelling on it.

"Do you think you'll be okay?" I asked as she looked a little faint.

"I might call mum to come pick me up."

"Okay." I nodded. I took a step to go leave, but something stopped me. I looked over at her, frowning slightly. This was a little awkward. I sighed, running a hand through my messy hair. "Did you want me to wait with you?"

She looked down at me, (as she was taller), in surprise. "Would you...?"

I shrugged. "If you'd like. I was a bit shaken when it happened to me. I know how you're feeling."

She rolled her lips into her mouth and nodded. I walked with her to the other end of the office, where a lady with auburn hair and small, framed glasses offered to ring up her mum. Principle Harlon approved that she was allowed to go home for the day. I felt like going home too, but I decided against it. I could use the school work. I missed out on a bit from my in and out of hospital experiences. I sat down in the vacant seat in the waiting room. She plopped down beside me. An awkward silence filled the room and I felt the need to start a conversation, but I had no idea what to say. I nibbled at my lip, looking around.

"I'm sorry for all the things I did to you." she muttered, rubbing the back of her neck. "You seem like a really nice person."

I stared at her with wide eyes. Britney Chevalier was apologising to me? I really, really thought I'd never see the day. My mouth fell open as her words slowly sunk into my brain. No way. I couldn't believe my ears.

"Huh?"

"Jason broke it off with me and I hated it. He's the first guy I've been with who dumped me." she continued as though I hadn't spoken and laughed without any humor. "I couldn't believe it. Then he goes off with some nobody, no offense, which is such a Serena Van der Woodsen, Dan Humphrey moment."

"Thanks." I replied sarcastically. "Comparing me to Dan Humphrey."

"Sorry, but I assume you've seen Gossip Girl."

"Yes, I have." I said flatly. I liked Dan but comparing me to a 'nobody' did cut a little. Like, who wouldn't be offended? I could call myself a nobody, that's fine. But it hurt when others did. I frowned at her.

"It killed me to see how he looked at you." she bit out, jaw clenched. "He never looked at me like that. He never laughed the way he does with you. He was never happy."

"How do you know he wasn't happy?"

"Well, for one thing, other than what I've stated above, I knew about his Dad, but every time he went to talk about it, I would ignore it." she said. "I was so self-centered that I didn't realise how much he needed me. How bad the situation really was. I never really cared."

I scrunched up my face. "Well, that's definitely different to me. I cried when he told me."

"Do you talk about it with him?"

"Yes."

She shook her head, leaning back and looking up at the ceiling. "I was so happy with being with the hottie at school. I've just realised that I liked the stereotype more than I actually liked him."

"Why did you fight so hard to get him back then?"

She looked over at me. "Because you ruined it. The popular boy is always popular with the girl. He wasn't meant to run off with some nobody."

"Okay, you can stop calling me that now." I snapped, my voice rising louder with each word. "You may not think so, but it hurts. It hurts to call people names, Britney."

She blinked at me a couple of times. "Wow. You never used to speak like that."

"Not the first time I've heard that today." I muttered, my voice going back down low again. I didn't want to cause a scene.

"I never considered you as a person. I just thought of you as annoying nobody, sorry, that stole my boyfriend to gain popularity."

I snorted. "I think I'd rather have friends and be happy with myself, then be what you call 'popular'."

She turned her head, staring at me. "And that's the difference between us."

We were just staring at each other, when the door opened. I looked over and couldn't help the smile crawl onto my face. I was full on beaming as Jason stepped in. He grinned at me. "Hey."

"Hi."

He walked over, glancing in between Britney and myself. "Everything okay here?"

I looked back at her. "Surprisingly, yes."

He raised his eyebrows. "Huh. Okay then. I got a call to come talk to Harlon?"

"Er- yeah. That's sort of my fault. I accidentally mentioned you..." I trailed off, afraid he'd get angry at me. He just shrugged.

"Okay. What happened?"

Just as I opened my mouth to explain, the door opened and Britney stood up. I looked over and saw Britney's mother. She looked exactly like her. She was tall, thin and had platinum blonde hair. She had so much makeup on you could hardly see her natural beauty underneath. She signed something the auburn-haired-lady gave her and turned to Britney.

I stood up and smiled politely at her. The icy stare I got back made my heart stutter in my chest. My mouth fell open slightly. After giving me the once over, she looked at Jason. "Jason."

"Ms. Chevalier." he replied formally.

"Britney." she summoned her, curling her finger. "Hurry up. I'm already late for my manicure."

Was she not going to ask if Britney was okay? She almost got raped! If my Dad knew the full story, I knew for a fact Daniel wouldn't be here. He'd be possibly hospitalised. He'd be fretting if I was okay and probably send me to therapy or something. Britney looked back at me and gave me a tight-lipped smile. With that, she turned and followed her mum out. I watched them, shaking my head.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I now understand why Britney is the way she is.

* * *

"You hit someone over the head with a wooden plank?" Dad echoed. I flinched at his tone and nodded slowly.

"Er- yep."

I was expecting a lecture or to be yelled at. He laughed. Like actually doubled over and began cracking up. His face became red as he was panting for air. My eyebrows shot up as I stared at him laughing hysterically. I blinked a couple of times and looked at Jason who was trying not to laugh at my expression.

"Um, Dad?"

"You - hit - someone!" he gasped, slapping his knee. "That's great!"

"Most parents would usually be concerned or something." I pointed out, scratching my forehead. "But of course you find this amusing."

"I think it's hilarious. Someone as small as you going up and breaking up something, that was pretty much a rape? By hitting someone?"

I frowned at him. "I work out sometimes."

He sobered up, but was still smirking at me. "How is the girl? Is she alright?"

"A bit shaken up, but she will live."

"That's good then."

I shook my head at him. "What's for dinner?"

"Steak."

"Yum." I grinned.

"Mel and Luke should be here any minute." he said, glancing down at his watch. With a groan, he stood up and stretched. "Better go set the table."

He took off towards the kitchen and I turned, looking at Jason. He smiled at me, which I returned instantly. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine. I needed no further encouragement. I wrapped my arms around his neck and crushed him to me.

Our lips began working together. He ran his hand down my side and all the way down to my thigh. He lifted it slightly so it hooked around his hip. Before I got to the stage where I wouldn't be able to stop, I slowly pulled back.

"Dad's only in the other room." I said a little breathlessly.

Jason pouted at me. "That just makes it exciting."

"Gross!"

He chuckled at me and slowly leaned back. He gave me a dirty smirk and I slapped his chest. I shook my head at him. Pervert. Before I could scold him, the front door opened. Mel and Luke strode in.

"Thanks for knocking." I said sarcastically.

"I used to live here." Luke shrugged.

"And I never knock." Mel pitched in.

I rolled my eyes. I guess they did have a valid point. I'm just glad Jason and I stopped before they came. We exchanged a brief look and he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at me. I shook my head in amusement.

"Later," I mouthed.

His eyes lit up with excitement and I rolled my eyes again. I got up and went to go help Dad in the kitchen. Soon enough, we were all sitting around the table. I dug into my steak almost savagely. I loved this. I grinned when I noticed Dad and Jason deep in discussion. I was glad they were getting along now. It only took Dad a couple of months...

"Gross, Emma." Luke said, making me realise I was positively beaming whilst I had a full mouth of vegetables and steak in my mouth. I smiled sheepishly and swallowed. Whoops. Mel just shook her head in amusement at me. That reminds me, I should see how she's going. She wasn't too happy last time I spoke with her. We'd been texting obviously, but we hadn't talked about the baby. They were going to the doctor's next week anyway, so that would be good.

After dinner, we all settled down for a movie. I suggested Prison Break but they all had simultaneously said 'no'. Pfft. They obviously didn't understand the magic. We settled for The Bounty Hunter.

* * *

"Go away." I mumbled when I felt a poke. They poked me again and I groaned, opening my eyes. I looked up at Dad, Mel, Luke and Jason, who were all smirking at me. They all stood and I widened my eyes.

"You were talking in your sleep." Mel grinned.

I felt my face flush. That was embarrassing. "W-was not!"

They all looked at each other and burst out laughing. I pursed my lips at them as I clambered to my feet. I glanced at the T.V and was surprised to see the credits rolling. I hadn't even realised I'd closed my eyes.

"Well, we're off." Luke said. He went over and gave Dad a quick hug. He did the one-arm-shoulder-thing with Jason and much to my annoyance, ruffled my hair. I glared at him under my hair, which was now messily hanging over my face. He gave me a toothy smile, before wrapping an arm around Mel.

"Thanks for having us over, Dad Two." she smiled.

"Any time, Mel."

She beamed at us all, before they turned and left. I looked at Jason and he was looking down at his phone. "Mum's at Jenn's tonight. Wants me over there."

Oh. I felt a little bit disappointed, hoping he'd stay the night.

"Oh, okay. I'll walk you to your car."

"Thanks for having me, James."

"No worries." Dad said politely. He smiled before turning off the T.V and disappearing into the bathroom. I put my hand in Jason's and walked out to the car with him. He gently pressed me against the back door.

"So... we'll catch up after school tomorrow?" he asked, his eyes dropping to my lips. I bit my lip, just because his eyes were trained there.

"Sure."

He grinned and leaned down. His lips met mine. We hooked up for a good few minutes, before he reluctantly let go as his phone vibrated. He sighed. "Guess I have to go."

"I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled, my lips slightly swollen from the contact. I stood on my tiptoes and brushed my lips to him one last time before he left. "Have a good night."

"You too." he smiled.

He released his hold of me and slid into the car. I took a couple of steps back and waved as he backed out. I sighed in content. Everything was perfect at the moment. Mel and Luke were happy, the baby getting closer and closer, which had me super excited. Jason and I were more than perfect right now. We were so happy it made me worry something would have to happen. My family was going great. I grinned and turned around.

A strangled scream escaped my lips at the sight in front of me. My mouth fell unattractively open. I couldn't believe it. I felt nauseous. Daniel's father had Rachel pressed up against him.

In the dim light, I could make out a silver blade pressed to her throat. My stomach plummeted to my stomach and I thought I was going to be sick.

"One more sound from you." he growled, his eyes into slits. "It's bye bye for mummy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 32.1K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...
1.1K 62 33
"You're right. I'm sorry........ Let me make it up to you. How does dinner sound?" He ask charmingly. Is this guy being serious right now? Is he actu...
9.7M 53.3K 12
Emma has everything she wants. Good friends, family who loves her and the boyfriend of her dreams. She's also finally rid nemesis Bianca Smythe from...
4.7K 83 23
A mysterious teenager, Emma, is found wondering the streets, behaving like a newborn. A psychologist takes her in to help her discover who she really...