Survivor

נכתב על ידי hagreen6

Cassie Quinn, now a Senior in college has her life figured out. She's smart and funny with the heart to match... עוד

1| Introductions
2| Super Sushi
3| Broken Home
4| And So It Begins
5| Crash
6| Doctor for a Day
7| The Power of Hugs
8| Uphill Battle
9| Safe Haven
10| Accident Magnet
11| Wash it All Away
12| First Night
13| Hunting Party
14| SOS
15| Good Eats
16| Smooth Sailing
17| Swinging Axes
18| Sinking
19| Theres Comfort in Conversation
20| Nightmares
21| Just a BDF
22| Hungover
23| Dark and Stormy
24| How Men Kill Time
25| Self-Defense
26| Reflexes and Rescues
27| Magic Mike
28| What Lies Below
29| Panicked
30| Wrench in the Plan
31| Family Feuds
32| Stronger Together
33| When Sickness Strikes
34| Goin' on a Ginger Hunt
35| Feelings for you (pt. 1)
36| Feelings For You (pt. 2)
37| Invasion
38| Repercussions
39| Ammunition
40| New Normal
41| Thin Ice
42| Great Escape (pt. 1)
43| Great Escape (pt. 2)
44| Where It All Began
45| The Final Bullet
46| Greatest Adventure
47| Have Some Faith
48| We're Here
49| Survivors
50| Family Reunions
51| Always and Forever a BDF
52| Statements and Affirmations
53| Nothing Fun About Goodbye
54| Home Sweet Home
Epilogue
Author's Note

55| Bonfire's and Fireball

1.8K 60 30
נכתב על ידי hagreen6

I sat at the local news station in San Antonio Texas, about 40 miles from Nathan's family farmland. My heart was beating irregularly and I was bouncing my knee up and down in anticipation as I awaited the beginning of the interview. To occupy my thoughts, I reminisced on last night with Jake.

Since Nathan said we could bring friends, I decided to bring Caralyn along with me. Out of courtesy, I also invited Alexa to the party. We did live together after all, and it would have been hard to hide the party from her. Plus, she kept dropping hints at how much she "loves Texas." However, she would be joining us later on since she had to work.

I ended up being super grateful that I brought Caralyn. I hadn't been on a plane since our last flight went down, and I'd be lying if I said flying didn't make me even more nervous now. I knew crashing was rare, but I also knew what it was like to go through a plane crash. Every bit of turbulence brought me back and if it weren't for Caralyn by my side, and knowing that in a few hours I'd be with Jake, I would have probably lost it.

Since Jake lived in Houston, Caralyn and I got our flight into the airport there, and Jake picked us up to drive to San Antonio. I didn't think it was possible for him to look even more handsome than I remembered, but somehow, he did. He was wearing dark wash jeans, a black v-neck t-shirt, and a black leather jacket. It was night time in Texas, so the air did have a bit of a chill to it, but I hadn't seen Jake in a jacket... ever. My heart skipped a beat.

The second we locked eyes, his face split into a huge grin and he opened his arms wide. I wasted no time making my way over to him, running as fast as I could with my clunky walking boot cast, and launching myself into his arms.

He snaked his arms around my waist and lifted me off the ground, holding me tight to his body. I had missed his embrace so much it took everything in me to not cry happy tears. I breathed in his masculine scent as I buried my face into the space between his neck and shoulder.

"God Cass. I've missed having you in my arms," he said in a low tone in my ear.

I pulled my face back to look him in his emerald green eyes. "I missed you so much," I replied.

Jake immediately gave me a deep kiss as he set me back on my feet. Knowing we didn't have much time because we were in a terminal, and knowing Caralyn was with me watching our every move, I found it in me to pull away. "We should probably get going?" I suggested.

Jake cleared his throat. "Right sorry. Let me help you with your bags," he offered, addressing both Caralyn and I. He lifted both of our bags into the trunk and made sure we were both settled into the car before moving around to the driver's side.

I knew that I had missed Jake during our weeks apart, but it wasn't until seeing him now that I realized the true extent. For now, I would just enjoy our conversation and the feel of his hand in mine as we made our way to the hotel.

By the time we got to our destination, it was 11:30 at night. Most of the guys had informed us that they were either on their way and getting in really late, or had arrived earlier in the day. Either way, the guys who were at the hotel were already sleeping, so we agreed to just meet in the morning and go to the news station together.

Which brings us to now.

I was growing more nervous by the second about the live interview. I had no idea what the questions were going to be, and I had never been great at public speaking. The producers had positioned us so that we were sitting like a panel with two rows, and I was placed right in the center. They thought it looked best for the photos and the camera angles for the interview. I didn't mind, but I hoped that it didn't mean more questions would be thrown my way.

In the front, we had Adam on the left end, next to Derek, then me, and then Jake, and on the right side sat Wes. In the back row, Luke, Cam, and Nathan sat in that order, spread out behind us. My back would occasionally brush against Cam's knees and I would lean forward, only to have him guide me back, reassuring me that leaning on him was okay.

Everyone knew I was nervous, but they had all told me this morning that it would be okay. With everyone, aside from Wes, acting so calm and nonchalant about it, I was able to get ahold of myself. Not to mention Jake's calming glances and strong hand in mine always made me feel better.

Finally, it was time to start the interview. The producers counted down as the interviewer began. "Hello everyone! Welcome back. As promised, we have quite the story for you about people who actually survived a plane crash and were lost in the woods for over a month. We are lucky enough to have all of the survivors here with us today to share their story. Why don't you give Texas a wave?"

We all did as we were told, waving at the camera as she continued. "Your story is incredible. 7 males and only 1 female surviving together for 38 days. You encountered countless life and death situations, and made it through together. A plane crash, mountain lions, bears, illness, injury, quicksand, even criminals. I know this experience was tragic, but there is something beautiful about how you all stood by each other through thick and thin. We all would like to know what happened to you guys out there," She concluded.

After her intro, the interviewer launched into several questions, like, "What was the scariest part of your journey? Did you have any good times? Cassie, what was it like for you as the only woman? Were you intimidated?" and many others. Luckily, aside from the one question, not a lot of them were directed at me.

We were also able to leave a final message and we made sure to address the families of those who died to let them know how sorry we were for their loss. Even though we didn't know for sure if our interview would ever reach the families, we wanted them to know that nobody who died on that plane suffered, and that we'd be happy to talk with anyone who wanted.

Finally, the interview was over. And boy, I felt like I needed a drink.

**********

"Cheers!" Nathan said as the 8 of us clinked our shot glasses together, sloshing tequila over the rims.

The fire was great. Nathan's family helped him set it up and it was a gigantic bonfire. Good thing too as the night was getting cooler. I had decided to wear leggings (it was hard to wear jeans with my injury) with a maroon crop t-shirt and oversized jean jacket. I kind of felt like a bum compared to the cute outfit Caralyn decided on, but then again she said she was trying to impress Derek, and Jake had assured me already that he thinks I'm beautiful no matter what I wear.

The beginning of the party was just the 8 of us (and Caralyn), but after about an hour, people started to trickle in. Jake said his family was busy so they wouldn't be joining, but Wes's sisters came, along with Kayla (Lukes fiancée), and some friends of the other guys. It was great to be in the company of everyone again, carefree, safe, and ready to party. As the hours passed, I was beginning to think Alexa wasn't even going to show up, but that's when I heard her call out my name.

"Cassie!" she shouted from somewhere behind me. Believe it or not I was excited that she decided to come. Despite everything that had happened between us, I valued her friendship and I was eager for the guys to meet her. Plus, I was already feeling my alcohol since the guys had included me in a lot of their shots, and when I had alcohol in me I usually didn't hold grudges. However, that all changed when I saw who she was with.

I turned around to see Alexa standing with Trent, hand in hand behind me. I immediately stiffened. She knew how I felt about Trent and brought him anyway? I was completely stunned.

"Alexa, hey!" I greeted despite my annoyance, "Glad you could make it. I thought you were coming alone?"

"Oh I was, but Trent had off work so he wanted to tag along! That's why we were so late; he wanted to take me to dinner. Don't just stand there, give me a hug girl!" She wasted no time pulling me into a hug. I returned it, not wanting to make a scene, but I was growing angrier and more uneasy by the second.

When we pulled away, Trent was smirking at me. "Glad I could make it Cass! Bring it in."

He inched forward with his arms open. This asshole really expected me to give him a hug?

I took a step back and was immediately stopped by someone behind me. I was pressed against a large muscular chest and I realized immediately that Jake was with me. I felt much better.

"Hey man, I'm Jake," he said, extending a hand around me and pulling me to his side. His tone was calm but I could see something brewing in his eyes. He was pissed. I could tell Jake knew exactly who Trent was before he even said his name.

"Trent," he replied, taking Jake's hand in his.

Both men were staring at each other as they shook hands, and I swear I saw Trent's face contort into a grimace.

When Jake finally released Trent's hand he politely introduced himself to Alexa, telling her to have a great time before excusing us and guiding me out towards the fire.

"What the fuck Cass... she brought him here? Seriously?" He snapped. He wasn't yelling at me, I could just tell he was fuming and trying to hold himself together.

I shook my head, I didn't understand either. "I know I'm sorry... I didn't know. She said she was going to come alone. Believe me, I hate that he's here more than you do, but I don't want any drama tonight; so, can we please just avoid him?"

Jake let out a breath, "Yes... but I hate that guy. Are you okay? Did he touch you? I came over the second I thought something was wrong."

"I'm okay, thank you for stepping in. Did you squeeze his hand? He winced," I asked, looking at Jake's face so I'd be able to tell if he was lying to me.

He didn't even try to hide his smile at my accusation. "I did," he replied, "crushed it."

I chuckled, "Thank you. I think we both could use a drink?"

Jake smiled and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "Yeah, go ahead and hang by the fire with the guys. I'll grab you one."

I thanked Jake and gave him one more quick kiss before heading over towards the fire.

"Theeerrreeee she is!" Nathan called in a sing-song voice as I approached.

I giggled, "Hey Nate. Feelin' good?"

"Hell yes. Feelin' awesome," he replied with a grin.

"Who were those people you were talking to? You looked uncomfortable," Derek chimed in from beside me.

Uh-oh. I didn't want to concern the guys with the fact Trent was here, but I supposed they'd find out eventually.

"Well..." I started, "the girl is my roommate Alexa, and the scum standing next to her is "he who shall not be named," I stated flatly.

Immediately, all the guys stopped surrounding conversations to look over at me.

"I'm sorry... what? Public enemy number one is here?" Cam said a little louder than I wanted.

"Yes," I sighed, "but guys I'm okay. I have all of you here, so I doubt he will do anything. Can we just all try and ignore him and just have a good time? I don't want tonight to be about him."

Wes came up from behind me, dropping an arm over my shoulder as he replied, "If that's what you want. Damn you're mature."

I chuckled and curled myself into him briefly. "No. I just hate confrontation."

Just then, Jake returned with our drinks. "Alright," I said while holding up my cup for a cheers, "let's keep it going!"

******

After another hour of drinking, chatting, laughing, and doing my best to not alienate Alexa while simultaneously avoiding Trent, Caralyn and I stumbled our way to the bathroom. She gushed to me about Derek and the guys and I gushed back equally about Jake; much like girls do when they go to the bathroom together.

On our way back to the guys, however, our night took a turn. We were approaching the fire when we had to walk past Trent. He was leaning against one of the picnic tables with Alexa sitting next to him, her back turned as she was talking to one of Wes's sisters. I kept my eyes locked straight ahead and grabbed Caralyn's hand as we tried to scurry passed him quickly. I saw Jake and the rest of the guys watching us, making sure Trent didn't try anything.

Nobody expected that he actually would.

As I passed him, he took a couple steps away from the table, heading directly towards us. I tried to ignore him, I really did, but at the last second he reached a hand out, pinching one of my asscheeks in a way that was meant to look subtle.

Now, I don't know what exactly I was thinking, and I'll be the first to admit the following was not my classiest move, but the second it happened something in me boiled with rage. Without even thinking, I whirled on Trent and let my fist fly.

I don't even really remember winding up, but from the pain in my fist and the way Trent was cupping his face and stumbling backwards, I knew I had landed a good punch.

"Cassie what the hell! What has gotten into you?!" Alexa shrieked, running over to us.

"What's gotten into me?!" I yelled back, the alcohol and adrenaline making me brave. "I'm not afraid to stand up for myself anymore that's what!"

"What are you talking about?!"

Angry tears threatened to spill over but I blinked them back. "Alexa you've been an awesome friend to me and I know you're a good person, but what I told you about Trent is the truth. The fact that you don't believe me really hurts."

"Cassie... I think you've had too much to drink tonight. Let's talk about this another time..." she said, reaching a hand out to Trent.

"No Alexa. I'm done waiting around and being scared. I'm done with people telling me that I've had too much to drink and that I need to calm down. What he did to me... it really really hurt me. I didn't realize how deeply I was affected by it until now. These guys," I paused to gesture with my arm towards my 7 men who were beginning to gather around, "all of them, have shown me what true friends are. They encourage me, support me, comfort me, but most of all they believe me when I tell them something. I'm not going to apologize for punching Trent; he had that coming. But I also can't be friends with you if he is in your life. I wish it were different but it isn't. Please... just wake up Alexa, and call me when you do."

I turned around to see Jake standing behind me. He immediately wrapped me into a tight hug lifting me off the ground.

"You okay?" He asked softly in my ear.

"I'm good."

"I'm proud of you," he said, not being able to hide his smile.

He released me and the second I was on my feet I was wrapped in Adam's arms. "That was awesome. Good job slugger."

I was about to reply to Adam when Cam dropped a large palm on top of my head, bending to speak in my ear, "Glad you did it before I could."

Derek appeared beside me next and took my hand in his, assessing the damage from my punch. "Well, your knuckles look a little swollen but it's not too bad. That was one hell of a punch," he praised before pulling me into a hug.

As Derek released me I turned around to see Nathan holding a tray of Fireball shots behind us. "Here's to you girl!"

"Cheers!" We all said, clinking our glasses together for what felt like the millionth time this evening.

**********

I was now walking to one of the picnic tables near the fire where Jake, Wes, and Cam were sitting and chatting. I may have overdid the whole drinking thing. I was off balance and couldn't focus, but honestly, I felt great. I got to spend a wonderful night with the guys, I told Alexa how I felt, and I knew I'd be spending the night with Jake again.

I was lost in my thoughts, and with my walking boot I was already kind of a disaster. I had just approached the table when I hit my knee against the bench, falling forward onto Cam's lap.

"Woah... okay," he chuckled as he caught me, "Had enough fun tonight?"

I let Cam assist me back to my feet and rounded the corner to sit next to Jake who was watching me with an amused grin on his face.

"Yes. Tonight has been great. I think I should be done drinking though," I admitted.

Adam snorted, "Oh god, you know it's bad when she cuts herself off."

"Yeah... I should probably get her back," Jake chuckled, "Are you ready to go?"

I sighed, "I don't know... I don't want tonight to be over."

"Awe. Don't worry Cassie, we will do this again I'm sure!" Cam encouraged. "We can all get breakfast tomorrow too before we go back, so tonight isn't goodbye."

"Ooooookieeee. Can you guys make sure Derek gets my sister back to the hotel okay?" I asked Adam and Cam.

"Of course! Any family of yours is family of ours," Adam replied.

I was starting to get the spins anyway so figured I wouldn't be much fun if I stayed.

"Alright Jakey. Take me home," I commanded.

Jake chuckled at my tone, "Alright! We will see you guys in the morning then." He dropped a hand down to me and I held on tight as I eased myself up off the bench to stand beside him.

"Jake?" I asked, "Can you carry me?"

He looked down at me in disbelief, "Of course I can. I was going to anyway ya drunkie."

"Yay!" I smiled as I let him scoop me up in his arms. "Bye guys! See you tomorrow!"

"Goodnight Cass," Cam chuckled, "Drink lots of water tonight!"

"Wow, you must be hammered if you want to be carried," Jake said as he started walking across the field to the car.

"I'm not thaaat drunk, I just wanted to be close to you. Besides, I don't mind being carried when it's my own choice," I replied.

We stopped and said some quick goodbyes to everyone on our way out. When we got further away, I rested my head on Jake's chest and heard his heart beating. He smelled so good, like campfire, leather, and cologne.

"Wanna know a secret?" I asked, motioning for Jake to lean his head in so I could whisper.

Jake chuckled as he leaned down. "Sure Cass. What is it?"

"You're the sexiest man alive; and I'm not just sayin' it because I've been drinking," I said with a giggle. I didn't know what I wanted exactly, but I was feeling playful. All I knew was that Jake looked good, he was carrying me bridal style to the car, and I wanted him, BAD.

Jake just laughed loudly as he set me down, opening up my car door and settling me inside. "Thank you Cass; and you," he paused to place a kiss on my forehead, "are the most beautiful woman alive."

My face flushed pink as he shut my door and walked around to his side.

I didn't know what the rest of the night had in store for me. If I knew Jake, which I thought I did, our night would begin with him forcing me to drink water, followed by him ordering some room service so I don't go to bed with an empty stomach full of alcohol. Then we would put in a movie, talk for hours, he would reassure me that he was mine, and I was his, and we would share a deep passionate kiss, or two.

The really exciting part about tonight though, is that I was ready for more. Given my past, I didn't think I would be ready for more with any man for a long time, but that all changed when I met Jake. I was completely, head over heals, unwaveringly in love with this man.

So, whether or not we take the next step tonight, or later on, I knew that it was just the beginning. Having Jake and the guys in my life, my heart was completely full.

The last few months have definitely been a whirlwind to say the least. They've contained some of the lowest lows and highest highs that I have ever felt; we've had experiences that were good and exciting, but also horrific, terrifying, and even tragic. However, the bottom line is, everything that happened had led me to Jake, and the beginning of an amazing life together.

And I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
______________________________________________

The freakin enddddd!! Woo!

Kind of anyway lol I promised you guys an epilogue. Sorry it took so long for me to update this! I had a lot going on and honestly knowing this was the technical last chapter put some pressure on it. What do you all think? Was it a decent wrap up to a decent story? Where can I improve?? What did you like the most about the story?

See you in the epilogue for a glance at everyone's life 2 years in the future!

Xoxoxoxoxo

-Haley

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
33 0 15
What do you do when you loose the one you love? For Isabelle that meant transferring colleges and moving across the United States for a fresh start...
11.2K 269 31
*TW* Contains topics and scenes of sexual assault, self-harm, abuse.* "You know you loved every second of it," I can feel the tears welling up as wel...
1.4K 21 37
"I'll wait as long as you need." he whispered and I felt myself blush. Carson would wait for me. He wanted me. I cleared my throat a little which ma...