The Test of Time

By JessicaLouAuthor

{18+ COMPLETED} THREE BOOKS IN ONE. "What are you doing?" I ask and he raises an eyebrow. "What do you think... More

Copyright
Part One
1 ~ Month One: July 2019
2 ~ July
3 ~ July
4 ~ Month Two: September
5 ~ September
6 ~ Month Three: November
7 ~ November
8 ~ Month Four: December
9 ~ December
10 ~ December
11 ~ Month Five: March
12 ~ March
13 ~ March
14 ~ Month Six: May
15 ~ May
16 ~ May
17 ~ Month Seven: June
18 ~ June
19 ~ June
20 ~ June
21 ~ June
22 ~ June
23 ~ Month Eight: July
24 ~ July
25~ July
26 ~ July
27 ~ July
28 ~ July
29 ~ Month Nine: August
30 ~ August
31 ~ August
32 ~ August
33 ~ August
34 ~ Month Ten: September
35 ~ September
** BONUS Chapter **
Part Two
36 ~ Month Eleven: September 2021
37 ~ September
38 ~ September
39 ~ September
40 ~ September
41 ~ Month Twelve: October
42 ~ October
43 ~ Month Thirteen: November
44 ~ November
45 ~ November
46 ~ November
47 ~ Month Fourteen: December
48 ~ December
49 ~ December
50 ~ December
51 ~ December
52 ~ Month Fifteen: January
54 ~ February
55 ~ February
56 ~ Month Seventeen: March
57 ~ March
58 ~ March
59 ~ March
Month Eighteen: 60 ~ April
61 ~ April
62 ~ April
63 ~ Month Nineteen: May
64 ~ Month Twenty: June
65 ~ June
66 ~ June
67 ~ Month Twenty One: July
68 ~ July
69 ~ Month Twenty Two: August
70 ~ Month Twenty Three: September
71 ~ September
72 ~ September
73 ~ September
74 ~ Month Twenty Four: October
75 ~ October
** BONUS Chapter **
Part Three
76 ~ Month Twenty Five: December 2027
77 ~ December
78 ~ December
79 ~ December
80 ~ Month Twenty Six: January
81 ~ January
82 ~ Month Twenty Seven: February
83 ~ February
84 - February
85~ February
86 ~ Month Twenty Eight: March
87 ~ March
88 ~ March
89 ~ Month Twenty Nine: April
90 ~ April
91 ~ April
92 ~ April
93 ~ April
94 ~ April
95 ~ Month Thirty: May
96 ~ May
97 ~ May
98 ~ May
99 ~ May
100 ~ May
101 ~ May
102 ~ May
103 ~ May
104 ~ May
105 ~ May
106 ~ Month Thirty One: June
107 ~ June
108 ~ June
109 ~ June
110 ~ Month Thirty Two: July
Epilogue
S P I N - O F F

53 ~ Month Sixteen: February

17.6K 709 485
By JessicaLouAuthor

"Hey! What's up?" I say as I pull the phone up to my ear, thankful for the distraction from my paper on To Kill A Mockingbird.

"What's up? We haven't spoken in seventy five hours, that's what's up!" Becky replies.

"Fair point."

"I miss you Sav." Becky whines, "The girls here are all stuck up. I need someone to be weird with me."

"I'll visit you at some point."

"Don't bother. This college is awful. I'd much rather come and visit you again."

"Look, you passed your first term," I remind her before taking a bite out of my half eaten cookie.

"There's still two more terms of this year, and then two more years," she argues.

"Well... there's no need to be specific!" I attempt and she groans down the line.

"I'm running out of boys here! The ones who I've slept with don't want to sleep with me again, and the ones that haven't are being told by the girls that I'm secretly a man."

"Secretly a man?"

"Apparently they think that'll stop them all sleeping with me." Becky chuckles, "Little do they know, it actually turns some of them on."

"What?" I splutter, choking on my cookie.

"Anyway, that is not why I rang you." She changes the subject as I attempt to swallow the crumbs lodged in my throat. "Did you see Zara's photo?"

"Yeah. Her and Sam look so cute."

"Cute?" She mutters, "Why are they so far apart? Aren't they dating?" She continues, "You could fit an entire truck in between them."

"Some couples don't like public displays of affection, Bec," I point out.

"But Zara? The girl who used to pine after him like there was no tomorrow?"

"But she pined after him in secret. Not in public," I remind her.

"I guess," she agrees. "I just want her to be happy."

"I think she is," I reply.

"Good. I miss her." She mutters. Me too Bec.

"It was so lovely to see you two weeks ago," I point out.

"You too," she exclaims. "Have you spoken to Haydon?"

"Not that much." I mutter, "He's rung me twice but I've tried ringing him more and he doesn't pick up." I say softly, "He's busy though so it's okay."

"No it isn't Sav." She scoffs, "I swear I'm going to beat him up so hard..."

"Bec! We're both busy right now, me with my studies, him with his writing." I remind her, attempting to convince myself as much as I am her. "It's okay. He told me he'd forgiven me."

"So I should think. It's been two months and all you even did was talk to your ex." She scoffs.

"Uh yeah..." I manage to stutter out as the door opens. Shooting my head up I see Elena enter, waving at me. Kyle follows close behind. "Oh, Elena's here."

"No worries," she says. "I'll call you tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"Love you Sav."

"Love you too Bec." I reply, "Bye!" I say before pulling my phone away and hanging up. Turning to the happy couple I grin, masking my own negative emotions. "Hey."

"Hey!" Elena grins in response.

"Did you have fun?"

"Kyle took me to the mall," Elena exclaims, walking over to her closet.

"Did you get anything?"

"He got me this hat!" she answers, gesturing to the purple, floral mess on top of her head.

"Did you pick that out?" I tease and she nods enthusiastically.

"Yeah!"

"I never would have guessed."

"What the girl likes, the girl gets." Kyle shrugs, smiling at her.

"Good motto." I grin.

"We're going out for food, do you want to join us?"

"No I'm okay," I reply, gesturing back towards my work.

"Are you sure?" Elena asks, cocking her head she glances over at me. "You're more than welcome!"

"Of course." Kyle nods his head.

"No, honestly I'm fine," I assure her, smiling at the two of them. "Go, enjoy!"

"Thanks Sav," she tells me. "See you later."

"Have fun!" I exclaim and she grins, sending me a tiny wave before they both shuffle out the door, muttering and chuckling to each other. I can't help but smile at their behavior, the door eventually shutting out their harmless chattering. Their relationship appears to be flourishing, Elena spending at least one night a week at his since the end of January. She'd assured me that they're being safe and, to quote her, 'wrapping it up tighter than Fort Knox'. After staring at her blankly she'd had to explain that it was a military site in Kentucky that stored gold, apparently extremely difficult to break into. Who knew?

Sitting back I lean my head against the wall, grabbing hold of my bedspread and pulling it up over my covers. I swear I spend ninety percent of my time in bed now, desperate for the warmth and comfort that it provides.

It was never like this back in Edgewater Valley. Back there Haydon and I were happy, we were always excited to be in each other's company. Here, everything has changed.

Reaching for my phone I click onto the name of my safety net and pull the phone to my ear, closing my eyes as a traitorous tear falls down my cheek. My sister picks up after three rings.

"Elle?" I manage to choke out.

"Ann? Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"I'm your sister," she retorts. "I know that you aren't okay right now."

"I'm not sure that everything is okay with Haydon." I manage to get out before I turn into a blabbering, sobbing mess down the phone to my sister.

*~*~*

Staring at the white screen on my laptop I grimace, praying for something to come to me, to be able to write anything down on the blank document. The paper is due in eight days, and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Eight days to write and perfect four thousand words.

Just great.

Leaning my elbows on the table I rest my head on my hands as I continue to gaze down at my laptop, searching for inspiration. There is absolutely nothing worse than when you first sit down to start a paper. Staring at the blank page, reminding you that you haven't even uttered one word yet, is the most demoralising part of college.

Coming to the coffee shop was my bright idea to help me. I thought a change of scenery would help, give me a fresh head. Unfortunately it hasn't worked and instead, I keep getting distracted watching the various customers who enter, ordering coffees from Louise, one of the employees.

"Hey." The voice startles me and I look up quickly, a rabbit caught in headlights.

"Hey." I greet Brett, who's come to a stop at the other side of the table, grinning down at me.

"Can I sit?"

"It's a free country." I shrug before turning my attention back to my laptop.

"Sav... I had no idea that you had a fight with..."

"Brett it's really nothing to do with you. It was a long time ago."

"I didn't even stop to make sure you were okay."

"No." I retort. "You didn't." I turn my attention back to the screen, biting my lip as I try to concentrate. I notice him lean back in his chair out of the corner of my eye and choose to attempt to ignore his presence.

Okay, Savannah, focus! Why is Alice fascinated and frustrated by her encounters below ground? I mean, she must think she's going crazy, seeing a floating cat and a talking rabbit so that's probably frustrating. But come on, an escape from the real world? Truly fascinating. I'd try it.

I manage to get one quick draft sentence down on the screen before I am distracted once more by Brett's presence. He's not trying to, in fact he isn't even looking at me, he's glancing out the window, a slight furrow in his eyebrows, but his looks are enough to distract even the most studious of people from a dull Alice In Wonderland essay and I can't help but wonder why he looks so on edge.

"What are you doing in here?" I question.

"Avoiding my parents."

"Again?"

"My Dad was furious with the idea of me doing football again." He explains, shaking his head as he turns to face me. "Mom is trying to talk him around."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay." He shrugs, "I knew he would be." He mutters, "He's just waiting for me to join the business." He continues, "That's all I am to him. A business asset."

"Do you want to join the business?"

"I don't think so," he answers softly. I can't help but bite my lip at his response, letting my eyes trail away, out towards the window as I wonder what to say to him. I know I don't have my parents anymore but I can't even imagine the pain you go through not knowing whether your parents even care what you want.

"Why is your Dad outside?" I mutter and Brett whirls his head around to look where I'm staring, his eyes wide.

"Shit!"

"Brett!" I exclaim as he shuffles out of the seat, perching down beside the table. I'd laugh if he didn't look so serious.

"I'm supposed to go to a board meeting with him." Brett explains, his eyes darting back and forth. "Slouch down." He hisses.

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows and he nods.

"Come on!" He gestures, pointing towards the side door. I shake my head.

"Brett! I'm studying!"

"Come on!" He encourages and I roll my eyes, quickly stuffing my laptop into my bag and following him towards the back of the café, not quite sure why I've given in so easily. Brett makes me encounter a sense of adventure, a kind of freedom that I achieve nowhere else.

He slips out the side door and I hurry along behind him, giggling slightly as we attempt to evade his Father. He slips down the small side street behind the cafe and down an alleyway between two buildings. I follow blindly, unsure of where he is taking me as we weave in and out of various buildings, my sheltered life having left me uneducated on the shortcuts available around our college.

Leading me out of a final alleyway he gently grabs hold of my arm, opening the door to a small, brick building and ushering me inside. The door slams shut behind him and I look around at the silent lecture theater, the seats empty, the podium abandoned. Dropping my bag on the front desk I smirk, turning back round to face him.

"You are going to get in so much trouble when he finds you."

"I guess I'll just have to go on the run." He shrugs, grinning, "Want to join me?" He asks, a cheeky glint in his eye. "Leave everyone behind. Just come away with me."

"No."

"You sure about that?"

"Yes," I assert before glancing back round at the darkly painted walls. "I've never been in this room before," I say. "It's tiny."

"I've had some lectures in here before."

"You have?" I reply, an eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"They use it to show films," Brett explains, shrugging as he slouches down into a seat.

"They do?"

"Yeah. It makes it easy for everyone to see because the room is so small."

"What films do you watch in a business degree?" I query, smirking.

"You'd be surprised."

"Try me," I reply, crossing my arms as I stand in front of him.

"Wolf of Wall Street." He replies.

"Great film." I grin. "But how does that help you how to run a business in this day and age?"

"Apparently it shows business culture." He scoffs and I can't help but chuckle.

"They know that he is arrested at the end, right?"

"I enjoyed it." He smiles, sitting forward and leaning on the table, closer to me. "Have you watched any in your degree?"

"One." I nod, "The Notebook."

"Nicholas Sparks, right?"

"Yeah."

""You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love." He quotes, smiling as he leans back against the wall. My mouth drops open slightly in surprise. Brett knows The Notebook? Not only that, he can quote from it? I smile, unable to resist the urge to play him at his own game.

"There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough," I recite, smiling as he laughs.

Brett takes a step forward, stopping in front of me and fixing his eyes onto mine.

"You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is..."

"Alright." I cut him off, taking a step back and turning around to walk back towards the front of the lecture theater. "Who are you Brett Winters? You're not the boy I went to high school with."

"We read it at school," he objects, leaning against the back of a chair and staring after me. "Remember?"

"Someone who can cite those quotes has not read it just the once," I argue, crossing my arms. He shrugs his shoulders before walking over towards me once more, stopping just in front of me. I find myself unable to move back, away from him. My body wants me to stay exactly where I am, ignoring any instructions from my mind to get out of here.

"You're so beautiful Savannah." He breathes out, reaching up to capture a lock of my hair in his hand, gently tucking it back behind my ear. The gesture makes me weak at the knees and I almost falter, nearly turn to putty in his hands.

"I..."

"I mean it," Brett utters and I bite my lip.

"I... I should get back." I manage before grabbing hold of my bag and swiftly leaving the cramped room, desperate for some fresh air to clear my mind.

What the hell am I doing?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I think this is one of my favorite chapters I've written so far. I feel like we finally get to see that Brett is no longer the high school football player - he's got way more too him. And Savannah's finding that out too!

Not that Haydon is out of the picture. And I really can't bring myself to say that Savannah is in the right here... but then maybe neither is Haydon... it's all getting a little twisted!

Have we forgiven Brett?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67K 1.5K 15
warning | The following story contains vulgar language and sexual scenes that might be offensive to some readers. So don't go complaining in the comm...
165K 2.1K 37
College break takes a turn when Aria Lanes get abducted and hold captive by a man she later finds charming then soon desires. Her abductor was paid t...
194K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...