Survivor

By hagreen6

Cassie Quinn, now a Senior in college has her life figured out. She's smart and funny with the heart to match... More

1| Introductions
2| Super Sushi
3| Broken Home
4| And So It Begins
5| Crash
6| Doctor for a Day
7| The Power of Hugs
8| Uphill Battle
9| Safe Haven
10| Accident Magnet
11| Wash it All Away
12| First Night
13| Hunting Party
14| SOS
15| Good Eats
16| Smooth Sailing
17| Swinging Axes
18| Sinking
19| Theres Comfort in Conversation
20| Nightmares
21| Just a BDF
22| Hungover
23| Dark and Stormy
24| How Men Kill Time
25| Self-Defense
26| Reflexes and Rescues
27| Magic Mike
28| What Lies Below
29| Panicked
30| Wrench in the Plan
31| Family Feuds
32| Stronger Together
33| When Sickness Strikes
34| Goin' on a Ginger Hunt
35| Feelings for you (pt. 1)
36| Feelings For You (pt. 2)
37| Invasion
38| Repercussions
39| Ammunition
40| New Normal
41| Thin Ice
42| Great Escape (pt. 1)
43| Great Escape (pt. 2)
44| Where It All Began
45| The Final Bullet
46| Greatest Adventure
47| Have Some Faith
48| We're Here
49| Survivors
50| Family Reunions
52| Statements and Affirmations
53| Nothing Fun About Goodbye
54| Home Sweet Home
55| Bonfire's and Fireball
Epilogue
Author's Note

51| Always and Forever a BDF

1.9K 53 12
By hagreen6

Jake had offered to come back to the hospital, as promised, when I was discharged, but I told him I'd meet him at the hotel. My family had room in the car for me, and it just didn't make sense for him to drive all the way here and back for no reason. Not that I didn't want to see him as much as possible, because I did, but I'd be with him soon enough.

Caralyn had packed me some clothes and brought them along, so I changed info a comfy pair of sweatpants and an ASU T-shirt for the time being.

Due to the obnoxious leg cast, I was now required to use crutches. I knew how to use them of course, but I never had to use crutches before. It also made me feel slightly annoyed that I had gone through the healing process, just to have to do it all over again.

At least it would heal right this time. My ankle never did feel 100%, and the last few days of walking I was in some serious pain. I tried to downplay it in front of the guys, but I never really fooled anyone.

Carter took my crutches and helped my clumsy ass get into the car while Caralyn slid into the middle seat. He closed my door before walking around to the other side. My brother has always been a gentleman.

The car ride to the hotel was only slightly awkward. My mom and dad carpooled to the hospital and the two of them were civil, but that didn't mean they were going to engage in an animated conversation either. Caralyn continued to ask me questions about the guys throughout the car ride, despite the deafening silence in the front seat. Some of her questions I was able to dodge or avoid all together, not wanting to disclose every detail with my parents in the car.

As much as I loved my family, I was thankful when we finally arrived at the hotel. Jake was already waiting outside for us when we pulled up to the beautiful building. He immediately walked up to the car, opening the car door for my mom. My heart warmed at his kind gesture for my family; I knew he would have no problem winning them over.

"Thank you Jake," my mother said with a nod and smile of approval.

"You're welcome ma'am," he replied before opening up my door and offering me a hand.

I gratefully held on as he assisted me out of the car, steadying me on my good foot. "You okay?" He asked as I wobbled.

I smiled up at him, "I'm fine; just no good at balance, which you already know."

Carter came around the back of the car, handing me back my crutches. I gave him a nod in thanks, and Jake kept a hand on my lower back as we all made our way into the hotel.

I knew the guys were all staying here and I was definitely more than excited to see them, but my heart wasn't prepared for what happened next.

The minute I entered the hotel, I was greeted by 6 familiar faces. All of the guys were gathered in the lobby waiting for me, and the second I entered the hotel they jumped up to greet me. Their voices all meshed together as they called out to me. I only made out a couple words in the clutter: "Cassie!" "There she is!" and "we missed you," were among them.

Nathan was the first to reach me. "Jake, take her crutches," he demanded.

"Why?" He asked, an eyebrow cocked as he grabbed them from me.

"This is why!" Nathan said as he scooped me up in his arms and twirled me around.

I giggled and let out an awkward squeal, wrapping my arms around his neck as he hugged me tight to his body. "Hi Nathan!"

"Cassie I missed you! We're so glad you're alright," he exclaimed as he placed me back on my feet, smooshing his face into my shoulder.

"Hey don't hog her," Cam chimed in from behind him.

Nathan grumbled before releasing the hug, but he kept a hand on me until Cam took me up in his arms, hugging me tight to his body and lifting me off the ground. "Nathan's right, I'm so happy you're safe."

I returned his hug, wanting to wrap my legs around his waist to help support myself but knowing my cast would be in the way. "You too Cam, I missed you guys," I replied. He was hugging me so tight I could barely breathe but I was okay with it.

Derek stepped in after Cam. They barely even set me down on the ground as I was handed off and I wrapped my arms around Derek's neck. He held me close, pressing his face into my shoulder as he spoke, "You scared me there Cassie."

"I know... I'm sorry about that; but I'm okay. We're all okay," I soothed. All of the guys smelled so good and clean and they looked so handsome and healthy; my heart wanted to explode with the happiness I was feeling.

Derek had just placed me on the ground before I was spun around and gathered up by Adam. "God damn it Cassie, don't ever do that to us again!" He exclaimed as he swayed me back and fourth. I knew he was being serious but he had a way about him that always made me giggle anyway. "Oh Adam... I've missed you," I admitted.

"My turn," Luke chimed in from behind me. Adam released his grip and I turned around to be collected in Luke's arms. He didn't pick me up off the ground, but he held me close and brought a hand up to hold my head to his chest. "Glad you're okay Cass."

I returned his hug. "You too Luke; I'm glad you were able to make it home safe and sound for Kayla."

I felt his chest move as he chuckled, "Yeah, you and me both."

We were interrupted when Wes cleared his throat behind me in a way that demanded attention.

I pulled away from Luke to face Wes, "Don't worry Wes, I couldn't forget about my cast buddy."

I watched Wes's face split into a grin as he pulled me in for a very awkward hug. It wasn't that hugging Wes was awkward, but with me being unstable without my crutches and him needing to hold himself up on his own crutches, he could barely get his arms around me. Not to mention we were kind of obstructed by Adam, who had his hands on my hips to keep me stable since Wes couldn't.

"Sorry my hug sucked, but I really am glad to see you!" Wes said with a chuckle as he pulled back. "We'll have to try that again later."

"Definitely," I agreed with a huge grin. I was so happy to be reunited with everyone. I had only been out for a few days, but seeing everyone here safe, happy, and furiously handsome was the best feeling. I didn't think I'd be able to stop smiling if I tried.

"Um Cassie," my mom chimed in. I didn't realize my family had stuck around but sure enough they had all witnessed the reunion. I wasn't sure if I should feel embarrassed that my family witnessed the way the guys all reacted to seeing me, or proud as hell that they did. "We're going to go to our rooms," she continued, "you should probably come with us so you know where to go and can get settled."

Jake came over and handed me back my crutches. I looked up to him as if asking if it was okay to leave everyone and go to my room. I didn't want to leave before catching up, but there would be plenty of time for that later. Besides, I couldn't wait to take a shower. I felt dirty despite the sponge baths I was given in the hospital, and I hadn't taken a genuine shower in over a month.

"I'll walk you up," Jake smiled down at me, clearly enjoying that I looked to him for approval.

Derek piped up from beside me, "Yeah, go ahead and get settled Cass. The cops are meeting us all in the lobby at 5:00 to get our statements, so we will all just meet you then okay?"

I nodded at the guys. "Okay great. Thank you guys for all being here when I showed up. I can't tell you how great it is to see you all here and safe."

"Of course," Adam said, "we wouldn't miss the chance to greet you! Remember, we will always and forever be a BDF."

I watched everyone smile and chuckle at Adam's response as I let out laugh of my own. "That's true. Okay, I'll see you all at 5!"

With that, my mom and dad headed up the stairs, followed by Caralyn, with Jake and I trailing behind, and Carter in the back carrying my suitcase.

Our hotel room was on the second floor. Nervous about using the stairs with crutches, I searched around for an elevator. To my dismay, I didn't see one and decided to just suck it up. How hard could it be?

I began inching my way up the staircase step by step. Carter had caught up so that he was walking beside me, and Jake trailed behind. At first I didn't understand why he let himself fall behind instead of walking next to me, but then suddenly it all became very clear.

I put my crutches on the next step and placed my weight on them to swing my legs up. The only problem, however, was that my crutches weren't placed fully on the step. As soon as I put my weight onto the crutches, the one in my right hand slipped off of the stair and landed back down on the previous one, while my left crutch stayed firmly in place.

I was completely taken off guard and my balance was thrown way off as I dropped my crutch and was propelled backwards down the staircase. I let out a very awkward yelp and squeezed my eyes shut, bracing myself for a hard hit and unpleasant tumble down the stairs. Luckily, two strong arms quickly shot out, catching me under my arms as simply as if we were just doing a trust fall.

"Woah! You good Cass?" Carter asked from somewhere in front of me. I was distracted by the way Jake had caught me just inches before I would have hit my head on the ground. He was supporting my weight in his arms while his green eyes searched my face for signs of discomfort.

I was completely locked in on Jake while I nodded and replied to Carter. "Yes, I'm okay Carter."

"Thank god. Good catch man," Carter said to Jake as he presented my crutches back to me. I hated the damn things, especially now.

"Actually Carter could you carry those? I'm just going to carry your sister the rest of the way up. We don't need a repeat situation," Jake smirked.

I wanted to protest but then again, I had just made a fool out of myself. I supposed I shouldn't have felt so embarrassed given everything that's happened with Jake and I; I mean, this was hardly the worst thing that I've done. However, there was something about being home and not in danger anymore that made my fuck up seem more ridiculous, and I couldn't help the way my face tinged red.

Luckily, Carter was the only one of my family to have seen the incident but still, I felt like an idiot.

Jake easily scooped me up in his arms and carried me to the top of the staircase, and I was still blushing when we reached my door. Carter had gone inside and I took a moment to thank Jake... again.

"It's all good Cassie. I find it amusing that I'm always going to need to be on my toes around you; even when we're back to reality," he said, shooting me a wink.

I felt my cheeks heat again as I replied, "I'll try and be more careful."

Jake smiled and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "God you're cute when you blush," he said in a deep rumbly voice that made my stomach flip. I wanted him. Bad.

I was flustered by my feelings so all I could do was thank him again and say that I wanted to get cleaned up. I've been with Jake every day for over a month, but for some reason being in a different environment was making me nervous all over again; I knew I loved him, but I couldn't wait to talk with Caralyn about it all to help regain my composure around him.

"Okay," Jake said with a smirk, "I'll let you get settled." He leaned in and placed a soft and sweet kiss on my lips. "I'll come by and get you around 5 so we can go down to the lobby together."

I nodded and watched him leave. I also couldn't help but notice how other women in the hotel checked him out as he walked down the hallway. This was the part of a relationship that I hadn't had to encounter yet-- jealousy. 

I shook my head and entered the hotel room. It was nice; clean. I was only sharing a room with Caralyn and I was thankful for that.

Our room was small. It had a TV mounted to the wall, with some shelving underneath, two full beds, and a small maroon armchair in the corner of the room. However, to me this room was everything. I didn't like hospitals, and this tiny room was the first piece of normalcy I felt in a long time after living in a cave for so long.

Caralyn was eager to talk to me when I entered the room, but I dismissed her, saying that I really couldn't wait to get into the shower. She only let me go after promising her that I would return and talk with her about everything once I was done. I even gave her the "go ahead" to pick out my clothes for the night, just to get her off my back for a bit.

I loved Caralyn, but I was feeling kind of overwhelmed with the transition at the moment, and just wanted to be alone and think.

I headed into the bathroom and turned on the shower right away, turning the water to hot and letting the bathroom fill with steam as I undressed myself. Once I was undressed, I turned to the bathroom mirror for the first time.

This was the first time I really looked at myself in the mirror since the morning of the plane crash. I don't know what I was expecting to see, but I was kind of surprised by my own appearance. I took a moment to observe my features. There were definitely some obvious physical changes: I was a lot more tan, blonder with longer hair, and I was definitely slimmer; my muscles more defined. But what I really noticed, was that how I looked at myself was completely different, and it wasn't because of my appearance. I stood taller, had a spark in my eyes, and despite the things that have knocked me down the past month, I knew I was stronger. For the first time in a long time, despite feeling grimy and a little too thin in my opinion, I actually liked what I saw.

I took one more look before I entered the shower. I let the hot water cascade over my body and although it was obnoxious and difficult to get the full affect with my cast on, the feeling was heavenly. I let my mind wander, but first and foremost on my mind was Jake. I closed my eyes and the feel of the water trickling down my back reminded me of the first kiss that Jake and I shared under the waterfall.

I loved Jake. I loved him with all my heart, and I owed him everything; literally. I knew that he loved me too, but at the same time I was kind of scared. I was scared that now that we were back to reality he would see that I was just Cassie. I was not the kind of girl that guys fight for or over. I was never the one to get asked out to dates, or asked to prom or parties, or to be generally desired by men. I was just average. I live a boring life and take boring classes, and although I came out of this experience feeling way more confident in myself than I ever have, it was obvious that somebody like Jake was way out of my league. I was just scared that now that we were back to reality, it wouldn't be long before he figures it out too.

I tried to shove the thoughts away as I washed my hair. I needed to get a grip. Jake was coming back to get me in a little over an hour so that we could talk with the cops, and I needed to think about what I had to say to them instead; my insecurities could wait until later.

All I knew was that Jake saw something in me. I wasn't sure what exactly it was that he saw, but I knew that he loved me and that he wanted me to be his. After everything that had happened between the two of us, I had way too many feelings for him to ever walk away despite my questions and insecurities.

That being said, I determined that no matter what I was afraid of, as long as Jake wanted me to stay with him, that's exactly where I would be.
______________________________________________

Hellooo!

This chapter got pretty long... sorry! Only a few chapters left. I definitely have ideas and a rough outline of how I want the rest of the story to go down, but I love hearing from my readers! That being said, if there's anything in particular you'd really like to see happen by the end of the story, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Thanks for reading! Leave comments and suggestions as you think of things to say. See ya in the next chapter!

-Haley

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.3M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
1.4K 21 37
"I'll wait as long as you need." he whispered and I felt myself blush. Carson would wait for me. He wanted me. I cleared my throat a little which ma...
56.5K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
2.4K 133 26
"No need to be a d*ck. You know that's supposed to be a part of your body and not your personality, right?" ---------------- Emma Greene comes back t...