The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Forty Nine

302K 2.3K 401
By LaurenJ22

--------------------------------------

Dedication: ieatyourcookie for making me my awesome cover on the side! Thank you so much for it, I love it! (: 

Song: Skinny Love - Originally by Bon Iver, redone by Birdie, re-done by Bella Ferraro, who tried out for X-Factor Australia, 2012. I am so in love with this audition! I just have it on repeat. I looooove it so much.

--------------------------------------

Jason's P.O.V:

My hand slapped the end of the pool and with a somersault, I propelled myself forward, concluding my final lap. I had been at the pool for about three hours now. My arms felt like lead and my heart felt heavy inside my chest.

I just needed to have some quality swimming time. It allowed me to chill out. The feeling of the cool water running across my muscles was pure bliss. I finally finished and with my remaining energy, pushed myself over the edge and collapsed, my chest rising and falling rapidly. If I wasn't so soaked in water, I knew sweat would be positively dripping from my skin.

"I think you outdid yourself," the gym teacher laughed, squatting beside me. One hand was raised, half-cupping her face in an attempt the shield herself from the sun. She open-mouth chewed on a piece of gum and winked at me. Which was slightly creepy. "I really think you need to reconsider joining the relay team."

"I was going to join, but the position I wanted filled." I spat, sitting up and using one of the diving blocks for support. I allowed my eyes to drift shut as exhaustion swept over me. My heart was absolutely racing from my intense work out. I have no idea how many laps I did, but it was a fair amount. The most amount I've done in probably... well years, I think.

"Yes and Arnold transferred schools last week, leaving the free style position open."

My ears perked up and I opened one eye in interest, liking what I hear. Good old Arnold. He had been a friend of mine. We weren't close exactly, which made it easier when he dogged me. Every one knows I'm the free style man. It's my thing, you know? And he never wanted to join the team, until I said so. At the try outs, he came in late and beat my time by a couple of seconds. He was so proud. Me... let's just say I was not happy. "Hmm?"

"We've had a meeting and the majority voted you, Jason. We want you on our team. You've improved a lot since try outs."

I sort of felt like they were using me. They didn't want me when I offered and now that the person they chose over me was gone, I was worthy? I felt like saying no, to keep my pride, but I did really want to join the team. I never had taken swimming seriously until this last year. I  had just done it for fun, but now I really enjoyed trying to beat my scores and all that. Also, it brought out the competitive side in me.

"I'll think about it?" I offered.

"Okay," she said, slapping my shoulder roughly, jolting my forwards, causing my eyes to snap open. "Get back to me, yeah?"

"Sure."

With a head nod, she got up and took off to her next victim. I sat there for a while, just thinking about it. I felt the sun dry up the water droplets on my skin. I heard footsteps and thin, tanned legs appeared in my eye sight.

"Hey hey," her beautiful voice greeted. Those amazing legs folded and she sat beside me. She leaned over and brushed her soft, pink lips across mine, sending my heart into a slight spasm once more. "How was your swim?"

"Great," I answered. I was mostly dry, so I wrapped my arm around her. She squeaked when she felt my wet hair rub against her and I smirked despite myself. 

"Jason!" she protested, trying to wriggle free from my grip.

"What?" I asked innocently, pinching her cheek. Her face tinged pink and I bit the side of my cheek, to stop myself smiling. She was so cute. "Do you think I should join the relay team?"

She turned her bright, green orbs to me. "Yes! I think you'd go really well."

I nodded and sat there allowing my thumb to caress her arm. I absently ran my fingers down her arm as I was deep in thought. "I must admit I would like to have a go at it."

"You should." she smiled encouragingly. "It would be fun."

"Hm."

"Come on, you look exhausted." She got up and pressed her palm against mine, reefing me up beside her. "Let's go get you warm again."

I placed both my arms over her shoulders and leaned on her as she slowly made her way back to the stands, where my bag and towel was. I rested my chin on her shoulder and it bumped up and down with her strides. As she grabbed my stuff, I let myself kiss her neck. She stiffened instantly. I rubbed the sides of her hips and she relaxed back against me. I nipped at the nape of her neck and I heard her sigh.

"No touching," the gym teacher barked, coming towards us. "Jason, Emma, you should know the rules by now."

Emma jerked away from me and turned, breaking off the contact. "Yes, ma'am."

"Get going now." she ordered. I narrowed my eyes at her but decided not to comment. I shuddered a little thinking if I did try out for the relay team and got it, I'd be spending three out of my seven afternoons with her. Two periods a week is enough for me.

Emma and I began to make out way back to the car, our arms brushed together and I felt a little bit of electricity spike through my body I wanted to take her to the car... in the back seat. Just as I was thinking about how to go forward with the plan she turned, causing me to bump into her.

She snaked her arms around my hips and planted a kiss on my lips. "I need to talk to you about something. Something serious. But only if you're not too tired to hear my drama."

"Please tell me it's what I'm thinking about." I said lightly, trying to ease the worry in her eyes and the wrinkle in her forehead. All this stuff with school and everything really had her down sometimes. I hated seeing her upset. It made me upset too.

The corners of her mouth twitched as she fought off a smile. "Probably not..."

"Can it wait?" I asked, running my fingers down her arm again, leaning closer so that our bodies pressed closer together. 

"I'll tell you on the way. I'm driving." she plucked the keys from my bag and threw it in the back seat. I frowned as she smirked, going around and slipping into the driver's seat. Okay, so not what I was hoping for, but anyway.

Maybe back at home?

She explained what happened to her mum and why she was with Daniel's Dad. My fists curled into balls and I clenched my jaw as the words poured out of her mouth. I death stared the window of my car, positively glowing.

"That bastard!"

"Shh," she said gently, leaning over and squeezing my shoulder reassuringly. I love how when I met her she was this awkward, timid girl who made me in control of everything, and not it was almost the other way around. Her personal growth and confidence has increased so much. It was great to see her so open with me now. "It's okay. We'll work it out."

"Maybe he didn't receive the message last time." I growled. "I think he needs another one."

"Jason." she warned, glancing over at me. "If you're going to act this way, I won't tell you things."

So much for being open.

I grumbled under my breath at her statement. She pulled into my driveway and cut the engine. We piled out and I trailed behind her into my place. Now the mood was gone. I was just angry. I needed to kick that guys ass. Hard.

But, I didn't want to upset Emma.

We went up to my room and I stripped down. She glanced over at me, her face instantly going red. At least she didn't cover her eyes now. I went over to her, a smirk evident on my face. "You like what you see, Emma?"

"Uhm..." she trailed over, averting her eyes. 

"Care to accompany me to the shower?"

I heard a door downstairs open and mum's voice call out to me. I sighed.

"Maybe not a good idea with your mum here. I'll go see Miranda."

"Fine," I complained. I just wanted some quality alone time with her. If only we'd stayed at the pool car park a little longer...

"Hi Miranda!" I heard her voice call. I also heard the faint falls of her feet as she skipped down stairs. I ran a hand through my hair, my thoughts unfortunately going back to Daniel.

What was I going to do about him?

-----------------------------

Mel's P.O.V:

I glanced over, seeing the outline of his body in the shadow. He was talking to Jason's Mum. We were in the back of the car, the other two in the middle. (By the 'two' I mean the inseparable, joined-at-the-hip, love sick puppies, Emma and Jason). We were heading for a double date to the movies. Just as Luke laughed at something Miranda said, I placed my hand on his thigh. I went up and instantly he tensed, whipping his head to me. 

I stayed in my position, gazing out the window. I didn't do anything. (Duh, I wasn't going to go feel up my best friend's brother while she was in the car, who do you think I am?), but the tension was still there. He latched onto my wrist and removed my hand, placing it into my own lap, away from him. He leaned over so that his lips flickered my earlobe.

"Don't start something you can't finish, Melanie."

A shiver ran down my spine at his words and I turned teasingly, my lips inches from his. Our breaths mingled and my eyes were trained on his lips. "Oh I'll definitely finish it."

He made a sound in the back of his throat. Once again, he moved so that his mouth was firmly up against my ear. "Please don't say that. I can't take it."

My smirk grew even more. I loved how I made him feel. I felt so dominant. I put my fingers on his chin and nibbled at his bottom lip. He ran his hand up my thigh, but at that moment, Miranda called something out again. We broke apart and I felt my breathing had turned heavier. I licked my lips and turned back to my position with looking out the window. I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. I was sort of regretting the decision not to stay in...

If I kept my eyes on him, lust would override me once more. I couldn't allow that to happen, could I? Soon enough, we entered the cinema car park and all practically fell out of the car. Miranda waved as she indicated out. I let Luke throw is arm over my shoulder, as Jason did the same to Emma. We all headed inside, acting like a true, 'awesome foursome' group.

After purchasing our popcorn, drinks and maltesers, we sat down and made ourselves comfortable. I glanced over at Emma, who was whispering furiously with Jason. A small smile found its way on my face.

They had to be the cutest couple in town.

Besides Luke and I of course.

-------------------------------------

Emma's P.O.V:

"Ouch!" I hissed as I felt myself get whipped by a towel. This had to be about the fifth time he'd smacked me. I turned around, my hands planted on my hips. "Do you have to?"

"Yep," Jason replied swiftly, shrugging. He smiled lazily at me, looking absolutely adorable. I pushed that fact aside and scowled at him.

"If you don't stop, we'll be asked to leave." 

"Let's be rebels!" He declared, fist pumping and pulling me to him. I squeaked and shoved myself away from him. I frowned again at his childish behaviour. I shrugged out of his contact and shook my head, walking away.

"Believe it or not, I wanted to come shopping to actually shop... not have my first run-in with the Law, thank you very much."

He rolled his eyes. "Shopping is so boring, but."

"Then go home." I said, starting to get irritated. "I thought it would be a nice day to hang out and do something together. You obviously disagree."

"Babe," he sighed, sobering up a litte. "I do want to spend the day with you. I'm just bored."

I chewed at my lip. I came to a stop and turned to him. "Okay, sorry. I just need to find a dress for Mel's cousin's wedding and then we'll go do something fun. Beach, maybe?"

His eyes brightened at the mention of water and I knew I had him eating out of the palm of my hand. He grinned at me, showing off his perfectly straight, white teeth. "I second that idea."

"Awesome," I smiled. "Alright, I'll try and be quick."

I moved onto the next shop and made my way around it. I trailed my hand along the the clothes. My eyes skimming over all the different types, shapes and colours. I paused briefly at the dresses and rummaged through them. I had bought one dress, but I liked it more for just casual wear. I don't think it was formal enough for a wedding.

Plus, it was white. 

I didn't want to wear the colour the bride was wearing. I hummed under my breath and bopped my head slightly to the beat of the music as I searched intently.

"Babe." his voice called. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him holding a dress over his head. He waved it a little. My eyes widened. I liked it. I skipped over to him and pulled it into my own hands and examined it.

It had a lacey, white top and flared out from the waist down. The bottom half was a violet colour and was absolutely stunning. Also, with a quick check at the price tag, it wasn't out of my price range. I grinned at him and slapped my palm to his in a high-five.

"I'm impressed," I admitted, smiling at him proudly. 

He beamed at me. "I'm not just a pretty face, you know."

I smiled and pecked his cheek. "I'll go try it on."

"I'll see if there's anything else out here." he suggested, turning back to the wall. I nodded and made my way to the back of the store, where the clothing cubicles were located. I waited for a vacant one and slipped inside. The shopping centre was quite popular today.

Instantly, I shed my clothes and slid the dress on. I studied myself in the mirror, doing a little twirl, so I could get a look at the back too. It was low-cut, revealing my shoulder blades and skin. I hoped it wasn't too revealing.

I really, really liked it. 

I poked my head out the change room and scanned the area for Jason. He was dawdling around and I whistled, in attempt to gain his attention. He whipped his head to me and I waved him over. He padded over to me. I maneuvered myself out and pivoted, showing off the dress. I struck a pose, with my hand on hip and my left leg slightly bent.

"Does it look okay?" I asked, running my hands down the material, feeling it softly fall underneath my hands.

"Okay?" he choked, his eyes running all over me. "It's amazing."

I felt my cheeks turn warm at his words. "Really?"

"Yes, you look beautiful."

I felt my heart dip a little lower and my stomach swirl. I smiled at him and re-entered the room. As I began to shut the door, something jammed it. Curiously, I turned back and saw Jason come in too. I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"Uhm...?"

He beckoned me closer and with his voice merely higher then a whisper. "Just go with it."

"Huh?"

"Oh, you need help with your zipper?" he asked loudly and I stared at him with a baffled expression. I furrowed my eyebrows as he continued to talk. I was completely lost.

"What are you babbling on about?" 

He smirked at me. He shoved me roughly backwards and I gasped, my back hitting the wall. He ran his fingers down my arms. He then did a trail of kisses from my shoulder to my finger tips. I stared at him. 

"Jason..."

He silenced me effectively, by kissing me. I felt myself give into him. I tangled my fingers in his hair and pulled him closer. He wrapped my right leg around his waist, allowing our bodies to be pressed closer together. He nibbled at my lips and I moaned without even meaning too. He smirked at my reaction. He unzipped my dress and it fell to the ground. 

Just as I was getting breathless, I heard a familiar voice.

Two familar voices, actually.

I quickly pushed Jason back, straining my ears to listen. 

"Hey, what gives?" he protested.

I clamped my fingers down onto his lips. The way he looked, reminded me of a duck. I would have been highly amused if this wasn't serious. I pressed my free finger to my lips, giving him the message to be quiet. He nodded once in understanding and I released him.

I was completely frozen.

Jason's hands still rested on my hips, my leg still attached to him. Upon hearing them, the mood was sort of killed. I waited until they got closer.

"So have you had any more luck?" she asked. I heard a door close and coat hangers hitting the cubicle wall next to ours. Jason opened his mouth to speak and I slapped my palm to his mouth. I didn't need them finding out we were only just next door. That would be just great, wouldn't it?

"Still the same. My Dad gets to use her and I get to watch her suffer. It's a win win situation." he replied smoothly. I felt my eyes narrow and my fists ball up in anger. I could practically see the smile on her face.

"What is its name again?"

"Rachel."

It. They described my mother as an It. This angered me so much I thought I could see red in my vision. Never before, had I wanted to punch someone so hard. Obviously my last, (and technically first) punch wasn't as effective as I thought. 

Jason's eyes widened at the mention of my mum, obviously only just realising who they were talking about. I almost shook my head at his slowness.

"What are we going to do about Emma?" she continued. Jason tensed up and I warned him, well, I tried to with a 'look', to not speak a word.

"I can't do anything directly to her," he spat. "Jason, the brat, bashed me half to death last time."

"Don't talk about Jason like that." she defended instantly.

"Don't tell me you actually have feelings for that dickhead."

"He was my boyfriend for a long time." she replied meekly. "He took a lot of my firsts..."

I scrunched up my fast in disgust and Jason just shrugged, looking sheepish. 

"Well he's not anymore. He chose her over you."

"I know, you like to remind me frequently." she snapped. "Anyway, I love you more then I ever loved him."

I exchanged a puzzled stare with Jason and rested my head back, making sure I drank in every word they uttered. I was just getting more and more confused by the second. There was so much to take in with these guys!

"Be careful where you say that," he said quietly. I removed my leg from Jason and slipped around him. I went close to the door, practically pressing my ear to it. If I only I had a glass... isn't that meant to help you hear through walls? "Some people are aware we are step-siblings. They don't know of our... affair."

A startled gasp escaped my mouth and I slapped my hand to my mouth. Holy wow! I couldn't believe what I just heard. I slowly turned, staring wide-eyed at Jason. He had the same, baffled expression on his face as I did.

I just couldn't comprehend it.

Daniel and Brittney were in love...?

And were step brother and sister!?

-----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hiya! Okay, so I tried to chuck a few P.O.V's in there, to mix it up a little and I thought some more Jason and Emma time was needed. :) So, I hope you guys enjoyed that. 

Also, what are your thoughts on the whole 'Daniel and Brittney' situation? I'd really love to hear your thoughts and opinions! 

<3

-Lauren.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

562K 18.6K 90
A Malfoy? With a muggle-born? Y/N Malfoy had brought nothing but shame to her family name. But after finding out that she's a prophecy, her entire fu...
11.2K 2.9K 43
"Is it possible to fall in love again after being broken?" --- Eve Rogers starts to give up on love but her best friend, Emma Smith, wants to help he...
819 71 15
*DISCONTINUED* "Why do you do this?" "Because it takes the pain away." "No it doesn't. It just distracts you. Distracts you from what you're 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘭...
4.7K 83 23
A mysterious teenager, Emma, is found wondering the streets, behaving like a newborn. A psychologist takes her in to help her discover who she really...