Traffic

By camrynjessichandler

"Going once, going twice, SOLD!" The gavel fell with a loud bang onto the auctioneers table. Kelly stepped fo... More

Traffic
Ch 1: Homework
Ch 2: Masks
Ch 3: Party
Ch 4: Silence
Ch 5: Sold
Ch 6: Sorrow
Ch 7: Drown
Ch 8: Deceit
Ch 9: Questioning
Ch 10: Out
Ch 11: Awoken
Ch 12: Trust
Ch 13: Longing
Ch 14: Goodbye
Ch 14: Scream
Ch 15: Hell
Ch 16: Slut
Ch 17: Wrong
Ch 18: Present
Ch 19: Smile
Ch 21: Familiar
Ch 22: Dad
Ch 23: Decision
Intermission
Ch 24: Morning
Ch 25: Interrogation
Ch 26: Life-Changing
Ch 27: Suspense
Ch 28: Agony
Ch 29: Released
Ch 30: Lost
Ch 31: Locked
Ch 32: Terrors
Ch 33: Helpless
Ch 34: Revenge
Ch 35: Favor
Ch 36: Ghosts
Ch 37: Reunion
Ch 38: Responsible
Ch 39: News
Ch 40: Trace
Ch 41: Tough
Ch 42: Rooftops
Ch 43: Family
Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twleve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Final Author's Note

Ch 20: Nightmare

3.3K 117 24
By camrynjessichandler

Kelly walked out of the house and took a deep breath. She began walking down the street, but as she walked, she began to feel uneasy. For four years, she had been outside a total of five times, this being her sixth.

First, when she was brought to her first auction, second when she was brought to her second, third when she was hit by the car, fourth when she left the hospital, and fifth when she was bought and brought to Derek. She was jumpy and only grew worse as she walked. Every sound turned her head, and every person that walked by, she watched closely with wide, scared eyes. She didn't know what to do, but she knew she needed help. She mustered up all her courage and walked up to a woman who was walking with her children.

"Excuse me, can you please tell me where I am?"

The woman looked at her as if she were crazy, "Um...You're in North Carolina. Charlotte is the closest city..."

Kelly thought hard about her geography, "That's almost...five states away from New York?"

"Depending which way you go, around three," the woman answered, staring questioningly at her.

"Thank you, Ma'am."

She began walking away, but the woman stopped her, "Excuse me, miss, but where are you going?"

"To New York. I need to find my friend."

"The weather is too cold to walk any longer, come stay with me for a night. I'll help you get a cab tomorrow."

Kelly smiled at the motherly instincts this woman richly had and thanked her, walking a ways behind her, but following surely. The woman would glance back to make sure she was still following, and each time, she'd notice Kelly's shifty eyes and twitching, shaking hands. She began to worry hat she was harboring a fugitive, but she acted casual just the same. She reached her home and her kids obediently went off to prepare some dinner and wait for her. She helped Kelly find some warm clothes and set her up on the couch.

"Sorry, it's not much, but--"

"It's perfect. Compared to where I've been sleeping, it's heaven on earth, believe me."

"Where exactly HAVE you been sleeping?" she asked, uneasily.

"It's a long story--"

"We have time," she said quickly.

Kelly noticed how nervous she was and stated, "I'm not dangerous, I'm not a criminal. I'm the victim if human trafficking. I've been through a lot and I just need to find my friend so he can help me get home to my family. I'm sorry if I make you nervous, but it's the truth," she rambled.

The woman smiled, sighing in relief, "No problem at all, you poor dear, Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just a bed and some food is fine," Kelly answered, "Not right now, but maybe some in the morning?"

"Alright...Would you like me to send my brother with you? He's coming to visit tomorrow, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"I-I'd rather not be with a man right now..." she said quietly, her voice trailing off.

"Of course. But...I CAN vouch for him. He's a good man. But if you don't feel safe, I can have him stay with the kids and I'll accompany you?"

Kelly paused, watching the woman carefully, "W-Why are you doing this?" she asked.

"Doing what?"

"Offering to accompany me all the way to New York?"

She took a breath, "Because...My eldest daughter was kidnapped and put into that system. She died before she got home. The police found her body in a drug house..."

"I'm so sorry. It's not something I'd wish on anybody..."

"Nor I. That's why I want to help."

"Well. I thank you, but you have your own life. No need to worry about mine. Thank you just the same."

The woman nodded and left Kelly. She lay on the couch and closed her eyes, but opened them again a minute later, staring at the ceiling. She tried to sleep, but it wouldn't come. As much as she hated it, she'd grown used to the routine that Derek had her in. He'd wake her up with a kiss, she'd make him breakfast, then he would spend the day around town, showing her off, until evening when he would have dinner with her, then they'd swim, have a bowl of popcorn, and then sleep together after a long session of pleasing. She had hated every minute, but routines and habits are hard to break. Especially so soon after escaping them.

She thought about the past four years of her life. From the day she was kidnapped to the day Derek set her free, she thought about how many times she's been forced to sleep with men she didn't know. At least twelve men, which included her Master's friends, had slept with her whether it was for a short time or the whole night. She had never had an abortion and she'd never been pregnant, and she now vowed she'd never let another man touch her again. She didn't even want to be near one, but she knew her friend Peter could help. He'd helped so much before, she only hoped he wouldn't be gone or different from his pure self.

Morning came and she hadn't slept a wink. The kind woman gave her some breakfast and sent her on her way towards the train station. She arrived and bought a ticket, boarding and sitting down all while watching every move of every man around her. She watched if they blew their nose, If they kissed their wife goodbye, if they walked past her down the isle. No matter what they did, she watched with nervous eyes and her hands didn't stop shaking the entire time. As she watched the scenery fly by out her window, and the people inside going back and forth up the isle, she slowly grew tired. She asked a stewardess when they'd arrive and she said within 24 hours. She nodded and tried to stay awake, but failed.

She was asleep for hours and dreamt of her past, which turned into nightmares. She became restless and fidgeted in her sleep. The people around her were growing nervous and wondered what to do.

"Should we wake her?"

"No. She looked so tired when she first boarded..."

"But would she rather sleep with whatever nightmare she's having or wake up and be free of it?" one passenger asked.

"If it were me, I'd rather be free of it."

"So would I."

"Oh my lord, leave the person alone! It's not like you know or care!" one older man said angrily, "Leave her alone."

A young man stood up and walked over to Kelly, sitting beside her and glaring at the old man as he gently placed his hand on her shoulder, "Miss?" he said calmly, "Wake up..."

Kelly stirred, but pain was still written on her face.

"Excuse me, miss? Wake up," he said, shaking her gently.

Kelly awoke and looked at the man, startled and scared. She backed away from him. He immediately stood up and backed away, "I'm sorry...You--"

"You were having a bad dream, sweetie. You were crying and shaking. He only wanted to wake you so you weren't scared any more," A lady interrupted when she saw the man was clearly embarrassed.

Key looked to the man, "Thank you," she whispered, "I was having a nightmare...You woke me just before the worst part," she went on. He nodded and went back to his seat. The old man felt sheepish at the thought of wanting to leave her to endure the nightmare. He scowled and put his paper up to hide the glares he was receiving from his view.

Kelly now looked around, seeing the kind Lady was holding an infant. She smiled at it and it smiled back. The woman looked over and smiled.

"His name is Lucas. He likes you...Would you like to hold him?"

Kelly was hesitant. She'd never held a baby before. When she told the woman this, she was shocked, "At your age?"

"I'm only seventeen," she said quietly.

"Yes, but some seventeen year olds *I* know already have babies of their own."

Kelly shrugged, "I guess I'm different."

The woman smiled kindly, "Well, different isn't bad. Would you like to hold him anyway? I can show you how to support his head..."

Kelly smiled slightly, "Okay."

She remembered the little girl, Dee, whom she had once parented and was instantly sobered again at the thought of her horrible father and how much she had hated that man. Of all she'd been with, he was the worst.

"What's wrong?" the woman asked after a few minutes.

"Nothing, I'm just tired..."

"I see. Long trip?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Where are you headed?"

"New York."

"I see. Business or pleasure?"

"What?" she asked quickly.

"Are you going for work or school or for fun?"

"Oh...to find a friend," she said.

"That's nice. Well, you if you're okay holding him, would you mind if I take a nap?"

"I don't mind."

The woman smiled, "I'm Cindy by the way."

"Kelly."

"It's nice to meet you, Kelly. Feel free to wake me if he cries."

"Yes ma'am."

Kelly sat with the baby for a little while by herself, then the kind, young man ventured over to her. He stood a few feet away and cleared his throat. Kelly took a shaky breath, but looked up at him.

"Sorry to startle you earlier..."

Kelly shrugged, "It's okay."

"Do you wanna tell me about your nightmare?"

Kelly's eyes grew wide and she shook her head. The man ventured closer, "Why not? Sometimes it makes it better to talk to a complete stranger..."

He tried using reverse psychology, but it didn't work on Kelly. She politely refused all his offers until finally, he went away. She knew it was rude, but all she could fully focus on at the moment was getting back to Peter and hoping he could help.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 16.5K 41
Walking into an empty house is normal to me. I guess I got tired of saying 'I'm home' when nobody is home to reply. It wasn't always like this. I re...
19.6K 607 26
Aaliyah's been having a hard time after graduating college. She's been living with her mom for a year now and it's been hell. Her mom hates her and t...
5.8K 843 27
F:- " Tell me where were you the whole night". I:- " Actually Mom, I fainted, a girl and her brother help me I was with them". I told the truth to th...
15 0 12
The first part of a three-volume story about members of a special combat unit, set in a futuristic alternative reality, containing paranormal element...