UnMasked Nomad

By Wordsmith-Rain

Ειρήνη, Eerinhe, or Erin, no matter how you say her name, it's not exactly accurate. Erin has spent the past... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
Book Two: False Nomad

21

162 7 0
By Wordsmith-Rain

^^ Aileen Doran ^^

— Erin —

I swam swiftly next to Terran, whilst the tiny blue-silver cat that Terran had named 'Minnow' was laying in the hood of his pilfered jacket, carefree and lazy, despite the four-hour swim, even at our superhuman speeds of swimming.

Sofia, -both her human form and the cat version hiding in the shadow realm,- hummed mentally. 'We are being surrounded by four humanoids.'

Terran nodded, stopping swimming. "They're here to guide us in."

I came to a halt next to him, and watched as four Atlanteans surrounded us, then began calmly guiding us into a corral reef, which we'd circled once, already. The corral moved away from them, revealing paths that hadn't been there before, and we were suddenly inside what appeared to be a small village, hidden inside the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Australia.

"I thought Moray/Sirens didn't live in groups?" I asked Terran quietly.

"We don't. This is a Temple, built by Them Who Came Before; our Ancestors. And today is the Ascension; the Mateless Moray came to find partners." He answered in the same tone, as two women began wrestling, while a man swam above them, eying them with interest.

"Ah... So it's a gathering day that you all appear at? Seems dangerous..." Sofia muttered, voicing my thoughts as well.

"No, most stay away unless they are in Season, or have a connection to the people becoming adults. Each Tribe has its own date for the Ceremony, though only the adults know when all of them are, so they can find mates." He hummed, and stopped swimming as the guards flicked their feet, swimming away and returning to the outskirts.

As we swam forward, an Atlantean man swam towards us curiously, and circled Sofia a few times before holding out a hand. She reached to shake it, and he smiled, kissing her knuckles then speaking Atlantean. She supplied an instant translation to me, and I smirked. "You are quite beautiful... might I ask for a chance at giving you children?"

She raised an eyebrow, and responded kindly. "You seem sincere, and are quite handsome, but I have a lover already, and he becomes a man, today. Perhaps next season."

"My apologies; next season, then." He bowed his head respectfully, though he looked between the three of us curiously, and then swam away, sighing.

"Refreshing to find men who understand and respect being rejected so well." I smiled.

Terran chuckled. "Men are outnumbered here sixteen to one, Erin, even without the Atlantean Guests. He'll find someone else, before the day is over. Now, I need to find-"

I darted in front of him and caught the collar of the woman diving at him, growling harshly. "Back off, woman! He's spoken for."

"Mother!" Terran laughed, swimming around me and hugging the woman tightly. "Sofia, Erin, this is my mother, Aileen!"

I released her collar, and hummed. "Greetings."

She grinned and ruffled his hair, speaking Atlantean. "You have grown so much!!! And you bring two women to your Ascension Day? That may be a record! Oh! And what's this creature?" She poked Minnow.

The lazy cat sat up, yawning pointedly, then swam over to her, laying herself down in the mane of white hair the woman sported above her light brown skin. The hair floated upwards, revealing her face, and the vivid series of four angry scars along the left half, nearly bisecting her eye, though her vision seemed to have retained itself.

"Oh! It likes me!" She giggled, petting the cat gently.

"That's Minnow, my Familiar. She's a Cat, a Land Creature, but she's able to survive down here. These are Sofia and Erin, my friends and lovers. Erin saved me from the Traitor Prince Orm, when he used one of the Shackles of Heracles on me." He explained swiftly, and retrieved the cat, placing her in his pocket.

His mother hummed, blinking slowly as she worked through all that at once. "Huh... Well, the ceremony is going to start, soon, so I'll let your father know you've arrived. Your women are welcome to stay with us, to watch the ceremony?" She glanced up at us.

"Us women'd like that. Wouldn't we, little one?" I spanked him saucily, and he squeaked, blushing.

She grinned. "Ahh, Yes. I'll take them now, before you turn entirely red. Go, the elders are waiting."

He nodded and kissed Sofia, apparently for courage, before swimming determinedly off towards the central 'building', an odd-looking pit, only about four feet deep, but 100 feet across, in a perfect circle.

She nodded to us, and began swimming towards a piece of coral shaped like a mushroom, overlooking the circle, and yet still far below the 'ceiling', a net of corral that released various colors of dappled light downwards. Coupled with the various glowing jellyfish and the Atlantean version of street lamps, (crystalline bulbs full of bioluminescent plankton,) there was a decent amount of light, clearly visible even to me, as I didn't have the Atlantean/Merfolk Enhanced Dark-Vision.

Atop the mushroom-shaped coral was a man about the same visual age as 'Aileen', (whom she immediately swam up to and kissed sweetly,) and four other people, of varying ages; one that looked about 9, one that seemed about 6, and two that were fully grown. All six people were wearing the same fish-leather clothing as most of the people we'd seen, briefs covering just their waists or just their waists and chests, and all were of the same basic skin tone and physical features as her and the man, apparently her 'husband'. (I remembered Terran saying that Moray didn't have a precedent for Marriage.)

She spoke quietly, and they all turned slightly towards her, listening carefully. "These women are your brother's mates, Sofia and Erin. One of them is Moray, probably from the North Atlantic, from the looks of her, and the other is Greek, perhaps an Atlantean. Treat them well."

I immediately made a note to not call the Moray Atlanteans, again, as they clearly liked to distinguish themselves apart, then let Sofia translate in my head before I spoke, making it effectively seem like I was fluent in the language. "Actually, I'm an Amazon, not Atlantean. Dr. Ειρήνη Φύλακας, at your service." I smiled and sat on the edge of the coral, looking at the pit as they digested that information.

'Should I allow them to believe I am a Siren?' Sofia asked slowly.

'You should, and you should also examine the anatomy of the women around us, and replicate it, if you'd like to have Terran's Babies.' I smirked.

She blushed and sat down with me, kicking her feet slowly over the edge. 'Was it that obvious?'

'He introduced you first, to his mother. Then he kissed you for courage. She noticed it, as well... and you forget that our connection is a two-way street. I feel that budding pulse of infatuation, slowly turning to something more, that you have for him.' I nodded.

She sighed and laid her head on my shoulder. 'Yeah... He is kinda perfect in every way, madame... but you give me something he can't; you don't have to worry about us 'leaving the Kitchen Table', so to speak. Also, it's only been one night. He may feel differently after a while. Emotions are difficult to quantify.'

I snorted. 'Difficult is an understatement.'

"Are you two having a psychic conversation? I'd hate to interrupt." Aileen asked quietly, her husband looking at us from behind her should curiously.

"The conversation was winding to a close, yes. This is your Life-Partner, yes? Hello." I nodded.

He grinned. "Yes, I am hers and she is mine! I am Ethan Doran, of the North Atlantic! My mate and I came here from the coast of Ireland, 82 years ago! I'm so happy to meet you!!!" He seemed to want to hug me, but was staying behind his wife, hugging her tightly in my stead.

I raised an eyebrow slowly, and looked at her. "May I have an explanation?"

"He, like everyone here, can sense your discomfort whenever anyone except your mates comes near you. You literally radiate the emotions that accompany violence, if you are startled. He also just really likes hugging me from behind; my adorable little letilans." She smirked and patted his cheek lovingly.

I looked at Sofia, at the untranslated word.

'Something like Pervert, I think? Or Horn Dog?'

'Ahhh.' I nodded, and smiled. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Ethan, and your children, as well."

He smiled back, and kissed his wife's ear mischievously, darting away and disappearing under the coral. She growled playfully, and swam after him, calling over her shoulder. "I will see you when the ceremony starts!!!"

The eldest of the children, clearly Terran's older sister, gazed at us curiously, then moved to sit next to us. "You say you are Amazon? But you wear the Clothes of an American."

"How would you know I'm American by my clothes?" I asked, confused.

She tapped my belt buckle, a brass rendition of an eagle holding three broken arrows. "This. It means 'America', does it not?"

I grinned guiltily. "Ahhh, Yes, it does. I am from Texas, actually, only a different Earth. My family is descended from the Amazons, and I will be the first to return to Themyscira in several generations, in a few days. I am Erin, and this is Sofia. You are?" I asked, holding out a hand to shake.

She raised her hands, leaning away from me. "Do not do that. That is how males propose to us that we mate."

I retracted my hand quickly. "Ahhh... that explains Terran's reaction... cute. Sorry, I didn't know."

"Mm. Well, I am Halon Doran, firstborn. Terran is my little brother by one season, though I suppose you already figured that out. I'm terribly interesting, of course, but you'll likely never meet me again, if you'll be keeping him like mother keeps father; there's no reason to come to these if you already have a mate, after all. Speaking of!!!" She flashed a mischievous grin that mirrored her fathers, and then zipped away like a bullet through the water, tackling a male who seemed to either recognize her or simply approve of her sudden and unsolicited affection.

I chuckled and nudged Sofia into my lap, cuddling with her as we waited for the ceremony, whatever it was, to start.

A few minutes later, the lights dimmed, apparently a starting signal, and all sound ceased, except for the sounds of people swimming swiftly to the various towering corals that looked down into the Pit.

A group of fourteen people, -boys, girls, and ambiguous,- that included Terran were led out into the pit from a stairwell that went below by a very physically fit old woman; with her appearance, even the swimming sounds dulled respectfully.

She didn't exactly look old, beyond the pallid skin and wrinkles which any 40-50 year old woman had to endure, but there was an air around her, an ageless energy that belied her physical appearance.

"Silence." She spoke softly, but firmly, and planted her feet on the ground, staring up at us fiercely.

All sound stopped.

"The Elders come, to give of themselves, and to bring about the Next Generation of Greater Moray. Kneel before their Powerful Hearts." She growled, and turned, kneeling towards the center of the pit, along with everyone else in sight, in the dim lighting.

I hummed and remained sitting, while Sofia knelt, along with the children, surprisingly.

A trio of old Moray appeared from the other side of the pit, and were escorted to the center of the pit by four more of those Ageless women, and two men. They sat down on simple chairs made of coral that bloomed under them like flowers, and nodded to the speaker.

She bowed her head, and then stood. "The elders give us permission to begin the Ceremony. Young ones, stand."

The fourteen teenagers, -I still thought of them as teenagers, even though I knew they were all 42 years old,- stood, and bowed to the elders; then they took apparently predetermined places around the pit, as the Elders were lifted out on their chairs, and moved to the only unoccupied tower of coral.

Once they were settled, the woman drew a small golden pipe out of her pocket, and it extended into a full-sized Trident, which she leveled at Terran. "You have come prepared I hope, Spawn of Doran. You will be first. Come."

Terran surprised me by being the first to attack, his eyes and tattoos glowing a deep, pulsating blue, while his skin returned to the charcoal of his natural form. Ice appeared over her skin, and she looked at it in surprise, but shattered it with a twitch of her hands.

He gritted his teeth, and then breathed deeply, centering himself. His eyes closed, and she drew back the Trident, throwing it at his chest. A shield of blue energy and hard water appeared before him, and he caught the Trident as it sank, its momentum gone.

She chuckled audibly, and then charged, running along the floor instead of swimming, to my surprise. He didn't wait for her to reach him, instead slamming the Trident down like a staff, and summoning a massive blue sword made of electricity, it seemed.

The woman balked, -apparently to the surprise of everyone in attendance, considering the universal gasp,- and then was caught with the downward swing. She gripped it, her legs and back muscles straining, and then was forced to her knees as her skin began to cut and blister from the blade made of energy in her hands.

Terran picked up a rock, still holding the Trident and apparently keeping the spell going, then pitched the pebble as hard as he could at her throat.

Obviously, she let go of the sword, clutching where the pebble had likely just cracked her larynx, and the sword slammed her into the ground, before disappearing.

The elders said something, and another of the ageless people nodded, bowing and entering the Pit. "The Boy will Face another Champion, until he is defeated. Precedent exists." She spoke clearly, her voice different from the previous ones, more approachable, and kind.

He took a nervous step back when she landed, proving she was anything but.

She smiled, and tattoos lit up on her neck and breasts, each marking shaped like a different type of shark's scales. "Ready?"

"Is no an option?" He chuckled breathlessly, barely audible.

"Not really." She shook her head, and a shark made of that same blue energy slowly came out of the ground, then raced directly at him.

He dove out of the way, then another shield appeared, as he recovered. I thought it was his, until he turned and whacked right into it, bloodying his nose.

He frowned at her, then threw the Trident at her, ignoring the shark coming after him. The attempt to make the summoner lose focus worked, in that the shark disappeared, but then she caught the Trident, making him squeak and take a step back again.

This time, when her tattoos glowed, thousands of little shrimp appeared, rushing towards him like a swarm of water-locusts. He sprinted away, taking a long circuitous path to try to flank her, but there were just too many, and he was eventually caught, then swarmed by the little bugs as he screamed quite pitifully.

The woman smirked, staring at the writhing mass of bugs, but didn't let up, instead turning her gaze to each of the different contenders, apparently letting them know what they were in for.

I felt a tug, in my gut, and a drain of my strength, just as suddenly, and then the water around him literally boiled, destroying all of her constructs as the water became too unstable to support the hard-water structures.

A bow appeared in his hands, and he drew a trio of arrows, shooting at the woman who was now spinning the Trident to parry the arrows, unable to find time to do any tricks except throw daggers made of ice at him. After about thirty seconds, one of the elders spoke again, and a third ageless person took a step forward, then halted at the woman's screech of pain.

An arrow was sticking out of her collarbone, just above the lung, and another struck her knee as she hesitated. He drew a third, staring her down, and she raised a hand slowly.

The third Ageless person nodded and stepped into the pit. "A first for the Ascension... no Moray, Child or otherwise, has ever stood before two Greater Sirens, and Prevailed. Now young Terran Doran will face a Third." This one, a tall and curiously purple-skinned merman, had a deep, brassy voice, like a bass guitar had learned to speak underwater.

Terran picked up the Trident, and slung the bow, (apparently permanently summoned,) over his shoulders.

"Prepare yourself." The purple man nodded, and set a foot down roughly, disappearing from my view.

Terran swung at something only he could apparently see, and blood appeared in the water, to my surprise, but then he slumped forward, after something slammed his cheek. He caught himself, before hitting the ground, and then swung the Trident again, slamming something physical.

The purple man became visible, floating slowly in the water; he was unconscious, it seemed, though Terran was wobbly on his feet, leaning against the Trident.

"No fourth Greater Moray will Challenge this brave child; he has fought well, and has proven himself trifold. Terran Doran, you may rest." One of the elders spoke, struggling to her feet.

He shook his head, and stood straight. "I will challenge Khasi Doran, if you will not send someone else out on your own."

This time, even the other Ageless ones gasped softly along with the crowd, and turned to look at a tall, pale-skinned/white-haired woman, whose face had several similarities with-...

"Oh shit... Did he just challenge his gramma?" I chuckled incredulously.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 15.8K 66
WARNING: CONTAINING AMOUNTS OF SASS PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN TO MANKIND In the city of NYC--- Ok. Hold up. First of all, New York City. What, are ya gonna...
107 29 82
Third Book of the Body - Celesi Veil Trilogy A girl's luck changes when her world changes upon itself, sending her back and forth between a world she...
68 19 7
Grace Hayes had to grow up fast after the death of her parents. Now, living with her two sisters, Grace spends her day skateboarding and doing make-u...
I Am No Prey By Amal

Science Fiction

3.2K 607 14
Book 1 of the Rising Phoenix trilogy. Would you choose love over peace? Two months away from her graduation day, all Cerise wants is to keep up her...