Reign

By Jennoula2009

"Reign means kingdom, reign means power, reign means sacrificing what you love most. Politics, intrigues, lov... More

1. Arrivals
2. Stepping together
3.First day of the rest of your life
4. Annoyance
5. Bad omens
6. Confess and reveal
7. Intruders
8. Meet the monsters
9. Sweet little Claire
10. In sickness and in health
11. Sleep tight
12. The months of love...
13. The contract
14. Coronations and Goodbyes
15. Grow
16. Cruel days of summer
17. Crystal Clear
18. Embraces
19.Closer
20. Desire
21. Scene of the crime
22. Holy War
23.The President and the snitch
24. Born under a bad sign
25. The consequences of intimacy
26. Seven minutes
27. Broken Crown
28. Hearts and minds
29. The God of Blood
30. Fight
31. Roses
32. That Dr. Mineo
33. Katharsis
34. The courage of the fall
35. Dance me to the end of love

36. Divide and Conquer/ Epilogue- Aknowledgements

6.9K 177 47
By Jennoula2009

Friends: Here we are again! I promised one more chapter for the 40.000 readers and here it is. It's one from the chapters I decided not to conclude in the main story, but I wanted to show it to you.  As always, I asked your opinion and I present what you wanted to read more from the deleted chapters, because you probably wanted to comprehend Alexander's attitude. If you want to refresh your memory, please take a look at chapters 11, 12, 13 and 26. It's a flashback! I hope you enjoy! 

                                36. Divide and Conquer

But you're just a boy
You don't understand
Yeah you don't understand, oh
How it feels to love a girl
Someday you wish you were a better man
You don't listen to her
You don't care how it hurts
Until you lose the one you wanted
'Cause you're taking her for granted
And everything you had got destroyed
But you're just a boy!
If I were a boy, Beyonce 

Monte Carlo, Monaco

How the hell did he do this? What had gotten into him? It was inexcusable. No, he was inexcusable. He and his silly ideas and his stupid trips led him to that foolish action.

“Your Highness,” one of the few bodyguards he had carried with him asked, pointing at a black plastic bag lying on the ground. Those were his clothes, the ones he wore last night and he definitely wouldn’t take them back on the palace with him.

“Take them to the trash bin,” he growled and immediately uttered the first excuse that dawned on him. “Someone threw his drink on me last night. He ruined my suit.”

The Prince sent away his body guard and remained all alone in the Charles Garnier Diamond Suite in Hotel de- Paris of Monte Carlo. He grabbed a cup of coffee from a silver tray full of beverages and wandered around the room. It was cozy and its wooden floor and navy colors created an atmosphere of relaxation and calmness. Enjoying the brown liquid with the strong taste, he paced to the balcony. The view was spectacular. On his left, there was the renowned Casino of the city and on the horizon the shiny blue sea. Roselyn would have adored it. He would show her the city, he would take her to the best shops and restaurants and then, they would return to their suite and lose themselves in each other’s arms.

Alexander sighed and pouted even more. She would have loved it if he had brought her with him of course. But, he didn’t, because he chose the bed of another woman. The clicking sound of the cameras and some annoying voices repeating his name were indications that the reporters had reached the hotel perimeter.  

He entered the suite again and shut the curtains behind him with an abrupt movement. If there was an opportunity to undone his action, he certainly would. Not only because it was the most horrible coitus of his life, but because he had no reason to do what he did. Roselyn was his fiancé, for God’s sake! They would get married for her birthday in less than forty days.  During their seven month relationship, he had many chances, many propositions from other women, which he declined discretely. That renowned photographer at an exhibition was eating him with her eyes, and that lingerie model he met at a party and the wife of the Belgian diplomat that threw herself at him so blatantly. All of them spunky and feisty as hell, but how could he lay eyes on them while he had that angel by his side?

And now… after seven months of monogamy, he had cheated. With Helena Wallace. Helena was certainly charming, but in his eyes, she seemed mediocre. There was no attraction between them, no intimacy, no eye contact, no desire even. Just the stupid lust of a single moment enough to lead him to an unknown and uncomfortable bed. They reached her hotel at five in the morning and they didn’t exchange any words during their interaction. He didn’t allow her to touch him or to undress him. He just turned her around, climbed on the top of her, foolishly believing that he would enjoy it. How wrong he was! Instantly, he realized the feeling was unfamiliar. The sensation of her skin felt weird. Instead of meeting soft, warm flesh, he was bumping into lifeless bones. He kept staring the clock on the bed stand, waiting the minutes to pass. And in the end, he couldn’t care less about Helena’s satisfaction. He lied next to his escort and when she fell asleep, he disappeared, feeling weary and used.

It was that damn alcohol and his anger. It was his anger mostly, and secondly the alcohol. He had left Redmond with a bad temper. He was mad at everything:  his father, that fucking deal, the preparations for the upcoming coronation, Roselyn, the wedding. But mostly himself. His unacceptable behavior lately caused distance between them. Roselyn remained silent, accepting passively all his decisions and the fact that she denied him once and only once, made things even worse. And instead of staying in the palace and sort things out, he left.  

What would happen if Rose found out that he betrayed her? They couldn’t handle a scandal right now, a couple of days before the coronation. How could he look at her in the eyes from now on? If he wanted to be clear with her, he would tell her. Yes, after the coronation, they would sit down and discuss and he would apologize. He would tell her about that night and that it meant nothing. They Roselyn would understand. She was a rational human being.

His fingers traced the large screen of his cell phone. He wanted to call Rose, to hear her voice, but he immediately regretted it. It would be very early in Redmond and he didn’t want to wake her up. Instinctively, he found Simon’s number on the list and tapped the screen. His cosmopolitan friend didn’t pick it up, but the prince was persistent, so he called three more times.

“I thought you would join us in Buddha Bar, but you disappeared. I’ve made a reservation there!” he heard from the other side of the line his friend’s sleepy voice and another male growled from inside; a sign that Samuel had a great time. He wrapped his lips disapprovingly. Of course, he wasn’t in Buddha Bar or in Nepal or anywhere in the world. He was in an asphyxiating Metropole suite, shagging Helena.        

“What’s the best jewelry store here?” he asked nervously and tapped his fingers on a table. “I want to buy a present for my fiancé,” he explained quickly and Samuel hesitated for a moment. He had definitely seen him on his boat, chatting and maybe flirting with Helena and he must have noticed that they departed together. That explained the innuendo about the bar.

“I don’t know, man. The Piaget Boutique has some peachy stuff.”

 ----------------------------------------

During his two hour flight back to the realm, he kept his mind busy and abstained from thinking. He read the sports column, he played with his cell phone and mostly, he went to the cockpit and the pilots allowed him to fly the luxurious private jet of his family. But as the plane reached the Redmonian air space and he was buckled in his seat, the sin arrived unwelcomed back in his mind.

Instinctively, his fingers skimmed the leather case that contained his gift for the princess. The Piaget Boutique was more than a simple jewelry store. It was selling marvelous pieces. The vender certainly recognized him and almost kissed his feet. He deliberately presented him a limited edition collection called “Rose”.

Alexander was now staring at the shiny pendant made from pure white gold and pink diamonds, with a matching ring and a pair of earrings. He smiled bitterly. A typical male. And a present that every time his fiancé was going to wear, it would remind him his stupidity.

Soon, the reason conquered the sentiment. The logic weighted more than the morning panic. Everything was going to be all right. Yes. No one knew what happened in that suite and no one would ever learn. Helena mentioned that she was dating an old billionaire and she wouldn’t risk revealing it. He used a taxi to return to his hotel and he wasn’t followed by his bodyguards. Luckily, he hadn’t brought her to his suite, so the photographers or the clients hadn’t seen him. It was the only smart move he had done the previous day. Samuel knew that he and Helena were on and off lovers for years, but he didn’t have any proof.

And no, he wouldn’t reveal it to anyone. Neither to his father, nor to his friends and definitely not to Roselyn. Everyone cheats. His friends and even his father had extra-marital adventures and they never get caught. Many of the women he had from time to time were married or engaged and they still are. So, he would keep his mouth shut and he would bury it. Besides, it was that awful that didn’t deserve to be remembered.

He touched once more the unique pieces of jewelry, which had cost him more than forty thousand Euros. It was like the pinky tourmalines were laughing at him sardonically as they were shining on his fiancé skin, ready to reveal her the big secret. Why Rose? From all the women of the world, why her? His life would be much easier with someone from his class, like Helena. He wouldn’t have to worry that much now.  

“Once you sleep with someone with your heart and not with your body, no other person in the whole world can fill the gap afterwards,” his wise grandfather had told him once, when he noticed that his grandson was a tad mischievous with the weak sex. Now he completely understood those words. For the first time in his life, someone was actually caring for him, not for his money and fame. In his thirty years, only now he felt so responsible for another human being; Roselyn was perfect. She was intelligent, kind-hearted, doting, polite. The press and the aristocrats were making nasty comments about her simple ways, her northern accent and her clothes. It took him a while to accept that she was different, but now she seemed the best choice. Of course, they were making miracles on the bed together. With her it was always that sense of fulfillment and completion that he couldn’t find in any other female.

 Yes, there was that contract of course. His father said that after November Roselyn would be useless for their plan. Once she signed the budget for the next fiscal year, they would get a divorce and he will have the throne for himself and his freedom back. Her father would arrange another marriage for her in the north and he would never see her again. How practical and easy everything was inside Andrew Corterel’s head!

Only the thought of losing her was disrupting and enervating. No one would take her away from him; no one would marry her with another northern man. His blue eyes suddenly darkened. That relationship had created something else inside him: a strong urge of possession towards the princess that was becoming darker and darker by the time. She belonged to him. Period. He could control her mind, he could affect her mood and mostly, he was able to make her whole body ablaze with a single touch. And now that he had seen the alternatives, the prospect of the wedding didn’t seem that appalling. The last months they were sharing everything, like a married couple; the bedroom, the worries, the realm problems. Marriage wouldn’t change many things in their everyday life. A crazy thought ran through his mind. If he impregnated her during those months of their wedding, no one would dare to mention a divorce, right? A wild joy overwhelmed him. He would ruin his father’s plans and he would keep her by his side. And if the truth about that night would come to the surface, he would answer with lawsuits and he would cover it. And Roselyn was rational and mild and forgiving. She would never abandon him.

---------------------------------

His vast bedroom was still dark. It was nine thirty in the morning and for Roselyn it was mysterious that she was still on the bed. Hudson mentioned that the whole Saturday, when he was away, she was working around the clock to prepare everything for the coronation. He also mentioned that she was quite gloomy and avoided words.

He treaded slowly towards the bed and placed his jacket and suitcase on the armchair. He also took off his shoes. He hadn’t brought the present to the palace. He couldn’t do that to her. His driver threw the precious diamonds to a trash bin in the outskirts of the capital under his command. Densmore had many homeless. Someone would have found them and change his life. Of course, his father would notice the large missing amount, but there was no big deal.

A wave of brunette hair was spread on the pillow and some of the morning sun rays were piercing through the heavy curtains. He sat on the bed and gently pulled the coverlet, revealing his sleeping beauty, curled on the left side of the bed in a fetal position, clad in one of his baggy t-shirts and a pair of flannel shorts. Sleepwear inappropriate for a queen, he thought, but arousing as hell.

He bent closer and took a look at her serene face. For a moment he hesitated. An uncomforting feeling overwhelmed him. How could he lose control so easily? How could he betray her? He sent all those thoughts away. Helena Wallace meant nothing. He was never going to sleep with her or any other again. Every bad thought was dispersed away as he sunk inside her hair, inhaling the fresh orange scent.

“Rose?” he asked and caressed her face, but his fiancé didn’t respond immediately. He bent once again and this time, he kissed her right temple, the curve of her nose and then her chick. His hands caressed her shoulder and descended slower on her ribs, waist and hips. Her body was warm and alive and was his.

The women, almost beneath him now, started stirring slowly and groaned softly. Waking up was a matter of seconds, so he sat on the bed and waited. She rubbed her eyes and blinked unwillingly. The figure on the bed seemed like a shadow, so she supported her weight on her elbows to see clearly in the darkness.

“Alexander? Is that you?” she asked confused and her heart stopped when he nodded. “Is everything all right? Did anything happen?

Clearly alarmed, she sat on the bed, asking for an answer, but he was lost. He couldn’t form a single sentence.  All he did was examining her face, quite and serious.  

“Everything is fine,” he finally said and Roselyn waited his reaction. When he left they were barely talking to each other and he was mad at her. She waited to see what he would do next; if he was still mad at her. He lowered his head and suddenly, she was inside his embrace, feeling his firm shoulders pressing her.

“Rosie,” he murmured on her neck. “It was horrible there. It was horrible… and boring and… and I’ve missed you.” When he finally disengaged his body from hers, there was one of his rare genuine smiles plastered on his face. She smiled back at him, as he cupped her chin.

“I’ve missed you too, Alexander. I woke up in the middle of the night and you weren’t here. I had that knot right here, like something went wrong.”

He placed her palm on her chest feeling her heart drumming. Then, he took her again in his embrace, and both of them lied on the pillows. Her body started relaxing; responding under his soothing touch.

“I’m sorry, babe. Forgive me about everything. I didn’t mean to shout at you. I shouldn’t have left. This was the last time I left you alone. I am really sorry.”

No more words were told that morning. She curled inside his embrace, content and happy about their common future. If only she knew… If only…     

Note: I didn't write this to make you forgive Alexander or change your mind about him. It's just a glimpse of they way he was thinking in the middle of the story. I think the song on your right is perfect! 

This is it, guys.... We are over.... 

WARNING! I decided something. Chapter 35-Dance me to the end of love, wasn't satysfying at all for me. I decided to rewrite it. To give an alternative ending. I won't delete the already existing one, because you guys have written so nice comments... What do you think? 

And now... the difficult part, where I have to say goodbye to this story. Of course, I will start editing it shortly, because there are mistakes and omissions. 

I love this story from the very first moment. It's not the first one I've written, but it's the first I've shown to people. I am a private person as far as writing concerns. And I've told thousand times, I am not a writer and this is not a book. It's just a story that I love. I spend almost ten months writing it! I had the dialogues inside my head and the scenery. But there was mainly one thing inside my mind: the heroes. It was like they existed, like they had their own unique voice and made their own choices. I remained sleepless many times to write, I waited with anxiety your comments and I read it again and again like it was the first time.... So, even if I write a million stories this one will be unique.

But Reign could never happen without your attention. You started as a small group that was mostly showing me my grammar mistakes and now we are a big community of readers from all over the world. From Great Britain and India, to Greece, Europe and U.S.A. This story united us, brought us together. I want you to know that I took seriously every commend and every vote filled me with joy. It doesn't matter if we haven't reached a million or a thousand reads. For me this doesn't matter. All I care is that Reign earned a place in your hearts, that it made you cry and worry for the fate of the heroes. 

I would like to thank each and everyone personally, but it would be impossible. Here are the names of a few friends that were there in every chapter. The order doesn't matter. What matters is that I have a spot in my heart for you. So @The WizardGuy, @Zazelle, @Bookaddicted5, @bluewave @Ravishgem, @ElenaStamou, @AriannasPieccce @nini_LoveU, @Sandy_Lovely, @AnnaPantelarou, @jinwen2509, @sofakibear @neighbourhoodgirl, @xmusiclovex and many others, mainly unonymous. Thank you for the support and the love. You cheered me up when i was sad, you helped me when I was alone, and you made me a better person and certainly a better writer. 

I want to ask two things from you. First, take the time and write a small critique, not only for the chapter, but for the story in general. Talk to me. Tell me what's your favourite and least favourite chapter. Tell me what excited you. Even those who haven't commented so far.

The second thing, is that as you might have noticed, I started one more story, Irene. Some of you already read it and I have read only good comments so far. The others, please take a look at it. Give it a chance, please.

The pinterest boards are still active. I will keep posting things to keep you updated. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 54 18
Welcome to a dark and twisted world where the powerful pull the strings, leaving the weak with no option but to obey. Here, Lily and Allora must figh...
470K 25.6K 31
[COMPLETED] It all seemed to be a fairy tale ending to Princess Elizabeth. She had found a wonderful family, she lived in a beautiful castle, and she...
731 38 22
*Mature content warning.* A mythical kingdom is ruled by a king, queen, and their son, the prince. The prince is engaged to a rich noble woman, the d...
41 0 12
A princess is forced to marry a King because her father wishes to combine kingdoms. As many have said, "First impressions matter" his first impressio...