Bewitched

Por sheezawrites

• for a long time, she tossed and turned, unable to sleep, wondering if maybe, just maybe, he was awake and... Más

•foreword•
•one•
•two•
•three•
•four•
•a new beginning•
•five•
•six•
•seven•
•eight•
•nine•
•ten•
•eleven•
•twelve•
•thirteen•
•fourteen•
•fifteen•
•seventeen•
•a certain love•
•eighteen•
•nineteen•
•twenty•
•twenty one•
•twenty two•
•twenty three•
•twenty four•
•twenty five•
•twenty six•
•twenty seven•
•twenty eight•
•a longing•
•twenty nine•
•thirty•
•thirty one•
•thirty two•
•thirty three•
•thirty four•
•thirty five•
•thirty six•
•thirty seven•
•thirty eight•
•thirty nine•
•epilogue•
•author's note•
QUICK SURVEY

•sixteen•

1.7K 75 7
Por sheezawrites

Mahira froze as Fawad's low husky voice reached her ears. Like a deer in headlights, she slowly turned around to face him and was surprised to find a cold expression residing on his features.

"I...I'm sorry..," Mahira struggled for words, "I didn't mean to intrude."

"This level is out of bounds," The hostility in his eyes cut her, "For everyone."

"I...-."

"Leave," He snapped.

Mahira staggered back. For the first time since she had met Fawad, she didn't feel angry at him but rather....hurt?

Without a word, she hurriedly climbed down the winding stairs and left through the giant mahogany doors. Her eyes felt heavy and her face hot against the coldness outside.

Wrapping her arms around herself, she rushed back to her room, her wobbly legs carrying her only that far.

As she closed her bedroom door behind her, she finally allowed herself to breathe. Without changing, she flopped on the bed, her mind rapidly seeking explanations for Fawad's behaviour.

She could only come to one conclusion. It was true that he had some beef with Zaroon, as their earlier encounter had shown, but he was also somehow angry at her. Maybe because Fawad had disliked her spending time with him. And if that was the case, then a bigger question still remained unanswered: why?

Whatever Fawad's reasons, his bitterness had made Mahira really upset and she had barely held herself together in front of him. Now that she was finally coming to see him in a new light, he had ruined everything with his words.

Mahira scoffed at her own naivety at believing that he was something more than the arrogant and presumptuous man that he actually was.

Turning on her side, she willed sleep to come to her.

The Manzil bustled with activity the next morning. The wedding events were to begin from today and with limited time on their hands, everyone was busy making arrangements.

With nothing to do, Mahira had offered to collect Zoe's bridal dresses from the TCS office located in the district. Due to some delays, they were only reaching today, on the day of her Mayoun.

She stood waiting for the driver in the foyer when Naureen came rushing through the kitchen.

"Everything's going dreadfully awry today," She cried, her face red with panic, "The driver's down with a fever."

Mahira couldn't really grasp the gravity of the situation, "I'm sure we can manage without a driver. Just give me the directions and I'll get it-."

She had barely spoken the words when she caught sight of Fawad descending the staircase.

Naureen too had seen him, "Oh Fawad, my love. You're right on time," She beckoned him over.

Mahira clenched her fists, dreading what was to come next. As Fawad came to stand in front of her, she lowered her gaze, not wanting to look at him.

"I'm sure you've heard that the driver's sick."

"No, I wasn't aware," He shrugged nonchalantly.

"Well, now you are," Naureen said irritatedly, "Please take Mahira along and collect Zoe's dresses from the TCS-."

"I'm sure there's no point in me going anymore," Mahira's voice was icy, "I can help you out with some other task. You look burdened."

Naureen looked thoughtful for a while, "While your offer is tempting, we can't really trust men with handling something as delicate as a bridal dress."

Fawad scoffed, clearly offended by his mother's words.

"You'll have to go, Mahira," She pleaded, "You're the only one I can trust."

Mahira cursed internally.

What had she gotten herself into?

A car ride with Fawad was definitely not something she wanted to deal with right now. But looking at Aunt Naureen all distressed and panicky, Mahira could not help but lay down her arms.

"Okay," She gave Naureen a small smile, "I'll be back soon."

Without sparing Fawad a glance, Mahira trudged towards the driveway.

The black Rolls Royce, in all its elegance and class, came to a stop directly in front of her. Sliding into the plush leather seat, Mahira could not help but gape at the interior of the car. It spoke of everything luxury and for a moment, entranced by her surroundings, she forgot who sat besides her on the driver seat.

Regaining her composure, she buckled herself in, all the while aware of his gaze burning holes through the side of her head.

With a sigh, Fawad shifted the gear and backed the car out of the driveway.

The TCS office was located in the nearest district, an hour away from the Manzil. Mahira remained quiet throughout the journey and instead sat facing the window, looking out at the pastures.

Fawad too made no attempt to start a conversation, though Mahira did sense something like guilt in his aura.

To her relief, the journey passed by in a blur and the car soon rolled into the parking lot opposite the office.

Mahira started to unbuckle herself but stopped when she saw Fawad doing the same.

"I can manage," She said frostily and unclasping the belt, got out of the car.

She looked at the shabby and dilapidated building with apprehension and realised she should've looked beyond her ego and let Fawad come with her.

No going back now, she sighed internally and willed her legs to move forward.

The office was cramped, with only as much space to accommodate one worn out counter, behind which a lazy middle aged clerk sat reading a newspaper.

"I'm here to collect a package under the name of Zoe Ahsan," It was only when Mahira spoke that the clerk finally looked at her.

"Yes, a package did arrive for the young miss," The clerk put down the newspaper and eyed her suspiciously, "But...Very well. Can you show me the receipt, please?"

"Uh....," Mahira was at a loss for words. She had been so distracted all day that the thought of asking Naureen for the receipt had slipped her mind.

The clerk sat up a bit straighter, his expression becoming serious, "Madam Naureen usually sends Sajid to pick up her parcels," He glared at her, "You're not another fraud, are you? You lot will surely be the death of..-."

"What?," Mahira lashed out, appalled at his words, "How dare you-."

Her words were cut short when the door to the office opened and Fawad came striding in, a smug expression on his face

"Fraudulent cases sure are on the rise these days, Chacha," He put a hand in his breast pocket and retrieved a receipt, "It's good to see that you're taking measures."

He glanced over at Mahira to see her as red as a tomato, her mouth half open in outrage and couldn't help but grin.

"Ah, Master Fawad," The clerk looked surprised to see him and finally connecting the dots, gazed apologetically at Mahira, "I'm sorry. I didn't know the young lady was with you."

"It's quite alright, Chacha. One can never be too careful." He handed the receipt to the clerk, who sauntered away to retrieve the package.

Mahira didn't register his words. Instead, she stood fuming with anger at the humiliation she had just been subjected to.

If only I could wipe that stupid grin off his handsome face.

Shaking her head, she left him to collect the package on his own and headed towards the car, only to find it locked.

Could this day get any worse? She sighed, kicking the ground in annoyance.

He emerged from the office a minute later, carrying three heavy looking suit bags. Bags, Mahira realised, that she couldn't have carried on her own.

Soon, they were back on the road towards the Manzil.

Now that Mahira's anger had cooled a bit, she realised that the whole situation had been quite humorous, "I can't believe he thought me a fraud," She chuckled under her breath and glanced at Fawad.

Their eyes locked for a moment and Mahira hurriedly looked away, the smile wiped off her face.

Suddenly, tyres screeched against the pavement and the car was brought to a stop. Mahira jerked forward but the belt held her in place.

"What in the world?" Her heart gave an uncomfortable lurch as she leaned over to inspect what had caused Fawad to bring the car to a sudden halt. Finding the road clear, she looked over at him to see him tightly gripping the steering wheel, his knuckles white.

A muscle twitched in his cheek and he clenched his jaw as if whatever he was about to say was taking great effort.

"I'm sorry," He breathed out, not meeting her eyes.

Mahira stared at him, dumbfounded. For the life of her, she had never believed she'd hear these words in her lifetime.

"I shouldn't have acted the way I did last night," He fidgeted in his seat, clearly uncomfortable, "It was wrong of me."

Fawad's awkwardness surprised Mahira. She had always witnessed him at his finest, most prime self, knowing very well that he seldom showed his vulnerable side to the world.

And the fact that he had let his guard down just now and apologised, two things that were not easy for someone like him, meant a great deal. Mahira felt her own barriers collapsing around her in a heap of rubble.

He finally looked up and met her gaze, the sincerity in her eyes making her breath catch in her throat.

"It's already forgotten," She finally said after a long moment. She never really could hold grudges for too long and knew that whatever happened last night, she had to take equal responsibility for it.

"We've still got a long way to go. You should probably step on the gas before Khala has a panic attack," Mahira reminded him and saw a small smile tug at his lips.

"What?" She looked at him, confused, "Why are you smiling? Did I say something wrong?"

"No," Fawad shook his head, his smile lengthening into a grin.

"If it's about earlier, then I should probably let you know that I don't forgive so easily," She felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment, remembering how he had made a fool of her at the TCS office.

"We'll see about that," Laughter danced in his eyes as he put the car back in gear.

Groaning, Mahira slid back in her seat, wishing she could disappear.

A/N
Leave your thoughts in the comment section and do drop a vote.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

670K 100K 110
Copyright © 2019. All rights reserved. FALAK: In a village where every girl must marry at the age of fifteen, a girl finds herself in a challenging s...
198K 12.4K 24
❝ He was the best thing she never planned ❞ The story of a spoiled brat, with a past which no one could imagine and a future that was forced upon her...
3.1M 139K 57
Romance Ranking: #1 on 05/09/17 #2 on 07/08/17 #3 on 06/08/17 ----------- My phone fell down with a loud thud and he trapped me to the headboard of o...
23.2K 2.1K 25
|Imposed destiny Book 2| She promised him many things...But broke them all And with that, she broke him too 4 years later she's back with a new bang...