What Lurks in Her Eyes

By Author_Imminence

The tables have turned. Vampires are kept as slaves by the werewolves, and now the battle of morals arise. Do... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One: Donovan
Chapter Two: Frozen Tears in Russia
Chapter Four: Losing Control
Chapter Five: Fear is a Liar
Chapter Six: Finding Her
Chapter Seven: Skeleton
Chapter Eight: Bringing Her Home
Chapter Nine: My Wolf & Her
Chapter Ten: Her Doctor's Visit
Chapter Eleven: Bonding with Her
Chapter Twelve: They're Here
Chapter Thirteen: The Hunt
Chapter Fourteen: They're Under the Table!
Chapter Fifteen: Our Capture
Chapter Sixteen: Imprisoned
Chapter Seventeen: Condemned
Chapter Eighteen: Left to Die
Chapter Nineteen: Anya
Chapter Twenty: Forceful Actions
Chapter Twenty One: The Wolf is a Prisoner
Chapter Twenty Two: The Cries
Chapter Twenty Three: The Lab
Chapter Twenty Four: Reunited at Last
Chapter Twenty Five: First "Date"
Chapter Twenty Six: Plans Unfolding
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Day Has Come
Chapter Twenty Eight: The Outcome
Chapter Twenty Nine: Reunited at Last
Chapter Thirty: All is Well
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Three: I Will Find You

1.3K 92 38
By Author_Imminence

Song: Without You by Breaking Benjamin

*

*

My face is twisted in a scowl as Greyson runs after me.

"What's up with you?" He asks.

I don't answer as walk quickly to the Hades Council. The three months of my shift, as well as all the reapers gathered here, are over, which means I'm going home.

I'm going home and I will find my mate.

And every reaper has to meet in the Hades Council where they will be transported back to their homes.

"Nothing, Grey. Drop it." I hiss.

He catches up to me and runs up beside me. "Slow down! Not everyone is as fit and fast as you are." He pants.

I growl lowly in frustration. 

"Woah, you're upset about something. Did something happen in Russia?" He pries, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes but this....this is something only I can fix." I don't even know my mate's name. I couldn't even touch her nor could I help her. 

He huffs. "You should talk about it. It helps."

Greyson sometimes acts like a parent, which has its pros and cons. But in a way, that's what makes him a great friend. He cares and will listen to me intently and won't abandon me.

I stop walking to talk to him and turn to him. I sigh. "Fine. I found my mate...." I mumble.

His face lights up and he smiles widely. "You found your mate? Donovan, that's amazing. Why aren't you excited about that?"

"Believe me, I am. But there's something wrong. Terribly wrong. When I was in Russia, collecting souls, I found her. Only....she was....she..." I sigh. I don't like the memories that flash through my mind. Her screams still echo in my ears. That helpless feeling still lingers in my soul.

I look Greyson in the eyes. "I heard screams on this dark, cold street and I smelled an amazing scent so I followed and I saw her....my beautiful mate.....she was being raped and beaten."

Greyson lays a hand on my shoulder. "And I couldn't do anything to help her. It's nearly impossible to revert back into physical form as you know, so I just stood there frozen. I could feel her pain and I couldn't take it." I say, looking down at my feet.

Greyson swears under his breath and shakes his head. "Damn...that's just...damn." He struggles to find the right words to say, "You know what? Bring it in, bring it in." He hugs me and pats me on the back. "That's tough. Real tough. I couldn't imagine seeing that and not being able to do anything."

I'm taken back by his hug but I return it awkwardly any way. "Yeah, it is. But I did make a promise that night."

Greyson pulls away from the hug. "And what is that?"

"I promised her I would be back. And I am keeping that promise, because when I find who's responsible for this, there will be hell to pay." If I was in my physical form, my wolf would be pushing through, itching to break free and rip apart anyone who dares to stand in his way. He wouldn't rest until his mate was curled into his thick, black fur, sleeping peacefully.

I liked my wolf's idea. I liked his idea a lot, actually.

"She's a vampire, Greyson. Werewolves everywhere will be outraged." I tell him sadly.

Greyson shakes his head. "You were gifted a vampire as your mate for a reason. Maybe this can change things between your species and the vampires."

I nod. Maybe Greyson is right. Maybe peace can finally come about after decades of turmoil between the two species.

But there would be consequences for taking a vampire as my mate. It is against wolf law to take a vampire as a mate, but I intend on changing that, because I refuse to reject the woman that has been gifted to me.

* * *

Home.

I am finally home.

It feels good to step back onto the pack lands my father rules over with pride and compassion alongside my mother. They are strong together, and ever since I was a pup, I've looked up to them. They've always been the shelter to my storm. My anchor in the waves.

They are still deeply in love with each other, even after thirty years.

My family has grown since then, and I'm looking forwards to seeing my siblings Kiera, Toby, and my twin brother, Killian again. Toby is the youngest member to the family at ten years old. He's a little werewolf who, even though he hasn't shifted yet, likes to howl at the moon in his human form.

Killian is skilled in archery and hunting. He's fast and fearless, and scares mom and dad at times with his daring nature. Kiera has almost stopped aging, as she's only a couple years younger than Killian and I. She's intelligent and amazes everyone with her skill of water control. She's the only member of the family that is not a werewolf, but she doesn't mind.

She loves water way too much.

It's good to be home.

I shrug the hood off of my head and walk through my pack's territory. The people excitedly greet me as they pass by.  I smile at them and continue on my way. I don't hesitate to enter my home. "Mom, dad? I'm home!" I call out, kicking my shoes off at the door.

"Donovan?" My mom calls out from the kitchen. She walks towards me, she wear an apron that she's had for decades. It says, Panic! At the Pack House. Her long dark hair is tied into a bun and her blue eyes sparkle as she sees me.

It's almost a funny thing - all members of an immortal family all look the same age once the children stops growing. She looks not much older than I, yet she's a few decades older than me.

She smiles at me and quickly throws her arms around me, embracing me in her motherly embrace. "We all missed you so much." She murmurs into my chest. I'm also much taller than my mother, I take on the height of my father.

I may even be slightly taller than him.

She looks up at me and cups my cheeks and pinches them. "You're such a cute little boy." 

I roll my eyes and gently swat her hand away. "Mom, I am not little. I'm way taller than you."

She sighs. "Yes, I know. But on the inside, you are the little boy that would bring me worms and flowers as a gift." She chuckles at the memory.

"Donovan? Is that you?" Kiera exclaims, punching me in the arm. I recoil back from her punch and rub the spot she punched.

"Damn, you sure can pack a punch."

"Language!" My mom exclaims.

"Sorry mom." I mumble.

Kiera smiles at me, but doesn't hug me. Kiera has never been one to hug anybody, she's just not that way.

"I've missed you so much. There's so many things I have to show you. And guess what? I found my mate!" She exclaims, waving her arms. Water forms around her hands in excitement. "Oops! I'm still trying to control my use of water. My emotions triggered it this time."

Mate...

 I found my mate too....

I stare blankly at Kiera as her mouth keeps blabbering. I zone out, her voice sounding like it's under water. She waves her limbs around and yaps on and on.

But I'm still stuck. My mate....is she okay? What is she doing right now? What is her name? Is she being beaten, perhaps raped again by the bastard that dare to touch-

"Donovan? Are you even listening to me?"

"What?"

"You weren't even listening to me! What were you thinking about?" She asks.

I rub my eyes. "Uh, nothing. Now, tell me about this mate of yours. Does he treat you right?"

"Oh yes! He's so perfect, Donovan. He's a Kuleous, just like me! I met him in the forest one day when I was practicing my skill with water. He is teaching me now how to better my skills." She says, beaming from ear to ear.

I chuckle. "Well I'm so happy for you, congratulations."

"Thank you Donovan." She says.

My other siblings soon come rushing out to meet me. Toby wants to show me his new toy wolf and Killian wants to show me how he can shoot twelve bulleyes in a row with his new, hand-crafted bow.

My dad was still in a pack meeting, my mom had said, but he will be down in time for dinner. In the meantime, though, there is a lot to catch up on around the house. I spend the time being dragged around by my other siblings.

I missed everyone and by the time night settled upon the land, I was exhausted from being dragged around by my own family.

But I'm not complaining.

Being social is in my blood, as it is in nearly every werewolf. The social instinct is strong within wolves, therefore, a part of it flows through even our human forms.

When everyone settled around the dinner table, piles and piles of food were loaded onto everyone's place. Mom made a particular big plate for my dad. She sets the steaming plate of venison steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, and ribs.

All this food will be eaten tonight. Werewolves eat a lot, and I am no exception. We all sit around the table, waiting for dad to join us. It is family tradition to eat at the dinner table as a family when we can.

We talk happily around the dinner table and Kiera pipes up. "Oh Donovan! How's your love life? Killian found his mate, I found mine...what about you?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and tap my fork against the table. I feel my eyes turning black at the thought of my mate being tormented, and I look down to hide my eyes of obsidian.

I clench my jaw and my wolf claws at my insides to be released so that he may rip up every monster that dares to touch his mate in ways that hurt her. I agree with my beast.

But I've got to tell my parents about it as well as the plan I have set in place, first.

I clear my throat, praying it won't be deep and demon-like from the sudden surge of anger and my wolf trying to break free.

"Yeah, about that....I kind of wanted to talk to you about that." I tell my mom. She looks at me and raises her eyebrows.

"Talk about what?" A burly voice says.

He walks into the room, smiling at me. I stand up and he brings me in for a hug and slaps me on the back. "Welcome home, son." My dad says looking at me with pride.

We sit down and eat and talk. I tell the family stories of the souls I've collected over the last three months. My siblings find my job interesting.

But it's interesting and funny to them because I only tell them about the cool abilities I get, and the funny times I've had with Greyson.

My dad understands what happens when we collect souls, and the both of us as well as most reapers can agree that being a reaper is not a fun job.

So much evil and destruction and depression comes with it.

It really opens your eyes on just how evil the world truly is.

"So what did you want to talk to us about?" My mom finally asks.

I drop my fork and push my plate away. My siblings see the stern look on my face and they, too, drop their forks.

All attention is now on me.

I take a deep breath. "While I was collecting souls, I found my mate."

My mom smiles and so does my dad. Everyone looks happy and my sister opens her mouth to say something, but I cut her off.

"Before any of you get excited, just wait. I have news. I was in Russia-"

"You were collecting souls in Russia? Did you see any Siberian tigers?" Toby, my little brother, asks innocently, obviously not aware of the serious situation.

"Hush Toby. Now is not the time." My mom says.

"When I was in Russia I was walking down the streets and I smelled her and I....I heard her crying and I found her being.....being...." I glance at Toby. Maybe he shouldn't be here to hear this.

My mom understands what I'm trying to say, and she looks at Toby. "Toby, will you deliver the fish you and daddy caught today to Braxton?"

"Oh yes! He will be so proud!" Toby exclaims, running to the freezer to receive the fish.

Once Toby is clear of the room, I start to speak again.

I sigh. "I saw her being taken advantage of by some....man in the alley. She was being beaten too and I couldn't do anything about it. I felt so hopeless and angered that I couldn't do anything. She's my own mate and I was standing right there and I couldn't even protect her. She was in such bad shape...." My voice trails off.

I wasn't going to tell them about her being a vampire just yet.

Everyone around me is quiet. Nobody says a word and most wear a solemn look on their faces.

Then my dad speaks up.

"Donovan, don't you dare beat yourself up about this situation. You found your mate in the worst situation possible, one in which you had no control of. What matters now is what are you going to do about it? What is the next step?"

I already have that planned.

"I am flying to Russia to retrieve my mate and destroy those who get in my way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 630 45
It's true when they say life can change in the blink of an eye. Despite not meeting her Mate yet, Aura La-Fey is anything but alone. She has her dre...
371 19 24
After being kidnapped and turned into a halfling, half werewolf half vampire, Chastity thinks shes a monster. She thinks no one would want her. But h...
359 58 40
It's love but it's war. It's only been three years since her world flipped on its head. Where guns blazed, blood splattered and The Grim Reaper becam...
5M 198K 36
THIS IS A SEQUEL TO HE'S MY MATE I feel the cold stones pressed to my back, seeping through the piece of fabric I have on to cover my body, the concr...