What Brings Us Together (A Ra...

By RandomAccountName23

Laura Wilson used to have a normal life. She worked in the Central City Police Department as a CSI, along wit... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Gee, Where Do I Begin
Chapter Two: Roger That
Chapter Three: Could This Day Get Any Worse?
Chapter Four: Hopefully We Can Figure It Out
Chapter Five: I Did A Pretty Darn Good Job, Too
Chapter Six: Favorite Outfit Kind of Day
Chapter Seven: I Knew He Was Our Meta
Chapter Eight: Did I Miss Something?
Chapter Nine: What The Freaking Heck Just Happened?
Chapter Ten: Lady Luck Smiled On Me
Chapter Eleven: I Think It's All Connected
Chapter Twelve: Is There Something Wrong With Me?
Chapter Thirteen: You Really Do Look Good
Chapter Fourteen: I'm Gonna Stay Here, Stretch My Legs
Chapter Fifteen: Good People Don't Destroy Lives and Call It Noble
Chapter Sixteen: You're A Beautiful Girl, Laura
Chapter Seventeen: I'm A Unique Person
Chapter Eighteen: Welcome To The Party
Chapter Nineteen: #Feminism
Chapter Twenty: You Get To Decide Who You Are
Chapter Twenty-One: Muggers Are Superhero 101
Chapter Twenty-Two: I Wouldn't Have Either
Chapter Twenty-Three: Get Dressed, Dibny
Chapter Twenty-Four: You Let Her Get Away
Chapter Twenty-Six: It's Kind Of A Long Story
Chapter Twenty-Seven: I Like The Sound Of That
Chapter Twenty-Eight: We Found DeVoe
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Goodnight, Dibny
Chapter Thirty: To Barry and Iris
Chapter Thirty-One: I Hate Nazis
Chapter Thirty-Two: Boyfriend-Girlfriend It Is
Chapter Thirty-Three: What Changed? (EXTENDED)
Chapter Thirty-Four: Tinsel
Chapter Thirty-Five: I'm Not Kissing Him
Chapter Thirty-Six: Barry Allen Wears A Mask
Chapter Thirty-Seven: I Really Really Like You
Chapter Thirty-Eight: We've Got Work To Do
Chapter Thirty-Nine: What Did I Do?
Chapter Forty: I'm Sorry
Chapter Forty-One: You Make It Sound Like A Disease
Chapter Forty-Two: I'm Coming, Laura
Chapter Forty-Three: Say Goodbye To Your Little Friends
Chapter Forty-Four: Flat Stanley
Chapter Forty-Five: I Don't Like It When You Read My Mind
Chapter Forty-Six: Dwarfstar
Chapter Forty-Seven: Embiggen is Not a Word
Chapter Forty-Eight: Evasive Maneuvers
Chapter Forty-Nine: I Love Ralph
Chapter Fifty: You Let People Down
Chapter Fifty-One: I Believe in You
Chapter Fifty-Two: I Saved Barry
Chapter Fifty-Three: It's Not Going To Kill You
Chapter Fifty-Four: Are You Ok?
Chapter Fifty-Five: Beginner's Luck
Chapter Fifty-Six: Blood On My Hands
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Just Like Izzy Would Have Wanted
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Just For A Little While
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Possibility
Chapter Sixty: Improv
Chapter Sixty-One: Who's In The Wrong Here?
Chapter Sixty-Two: Dibny-Esque
Chapter Sixty-three: Edwin Gauss
Chapter Sixty-Four: The Tough Call
Chapter Sixty-Five: I Lose You Either Way
Chapter Sixty-Six: Beat The Thinker
Coming Soon

Chapter Twenty-Five: What In The Freaking Heck Was That?

760 30 2
By RandomAccountName23

Ralph woke me up by tapping on my shoulder.

"Someone's coming," He told me, "You wouldn't want someone else thinking that you're my girlfriend." I chuckled drowsily, rubbing my eyes as Barry and Iris came around the corner. We both stood up, following them into the cortex.

"We've got the third piece of the necklace. My dad found out that it was on display at Central City Museum, but when they figured out that it was a target..." She pulled up a map of Central City that was tracking the necklace.

"It's on the move." Barry pointed out.

"Yeah, it's being transferred via armored car to a secure storage facility in Brookfield Heights. I pinged the truck's GPS."

"Alright. Ralph, Laura, let's go."

"I'll get my ugly suit."

~~~

The scene we came upon this time was our Meta walking away from a parked armored truck and a caveman statue in the middle of the road.

"Hello. Are you ready to go to jail?" Barry asked, causing her to turn around.

"This doesn't belong in an auction house." She replied. "It doesn't belong in someone's collection, it belongs to the Sioux people. My people."

"Mina...I know you've been through a lot, but this is not the way to do this-"

"I don't need to listen to men like you anymore, Flash. A few weeks ago, something inside me changed. Changed for the better...for the more powerful. And now there's just the black Bison. An arm drilled into my bruised ribs, sending me to the ground. I gritted my teeth, blinking away the tears in my eyes and forcing myself to stand up. I saw Barry fly into a powerline pole, sending the wires to the ground.

"The power lines! Get those people clear!" Barry shouted. I went to move towards them only to be overcome with pain. Without a doubt, my already injured ribs were broken now.

"You have to do it." I shouted to Ralph, falling to my knees.

"But I can catch the Meta!" Ralph shouted. He was currently stretched out, one hand on the armored car and the other keeping Mina's car from driving away. I looked up to see the pole falling just as a little girl fell down trying to run away from it. I got up, trying to get to her, ready to make a forcefield, but it was too late. The pole had landed on the girl, and she was now unconscious. I made my way over, helping one of the civilians to lift up the pole and pull her out from beneath it. Tears were streaming down my face.

"Laura! Laura!" The girl's mother called. Huh...what are the odds? The mother pulled her daughter into her lap and I looked her over, hearing the sirens.

"The EMTs are almost here, and she's still breathing." Barry appeared beside me. 

"Come on, wake up, honey. Honey, come on, wake up." Barry stood up, looking behind him. I looked up to see Ralph. He knew he had made a mistake.

~~~

Barry Ralph, and I changed and were currently standing outside of Laura's hospital room. A quick diagnosis from Caitlin told me that my ribs were indeed cracked, so she gave me a brace and some more pain medication.

"Ok, you just res up, I'm gonna come back and check on you in a little while." The Doctor said, leaving the room. "Well, mild concussion, a hairline fracture in her leg. She's young, She'll heal fast."

"Thank you, Doctor." I said, one arm wrapped around myself.

"You're very welcome. But considering the accident, she's very lucky to be alive." Barry turned towards Ralph.

"Look, Ralph, we need to talk. You can't-"

"Don't." Ralph cut him off. "Just...just forget it, ok?" He turned, walking away from us. I sighed, turning towards Barry.

"I think...I think he knows." Barry nodded.

"Yeah..."

~~~
We trailed Ralph back to his office. He sat with his back facing us in his desk chair. Barry knocked as we entered, shutting the door behind him.

"If you're here to tell me how I royally screwed up letting that little girl get hurt...trust me...I know. I keep feeling all these feelings. Guilt...remorse...heartburn."

"Well, we can't help you with that last one, but maybe we can help you with the rest." Barry suggested. "What are all those?" He nodded to the pictures on the desk. I crossed over in front of Ralph, sitting on the window sill directly in front of him.

"Past cases. Those were simpler times. Husband stepping out on wife, wife stepping out on husband, husband stepping out on wife and husband. That one was a little less simple."

"What's the point you were alluding to?" I asked.

"My point is...when I was a PI, I...I didn't have to worry about little girls in hospitals. I just had to get the dirt. Whatever happened after that, I wasn't there to see it. Now all I see are people getting hurt or about to get hurt...Laura included. And for five years I got by without caring about anyone, except..." He trailed off and looked at me like he'd said to much. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Now I have to care about a whole city?"

"It's a part of the job, Ralph. Maybe the most important part." Barry told him.

"How do you two do it?" Ralph questioned, meeting my eyes. Tears were just starting to well up in his. "How do you walk around knowing what could happen to all those people?"

"We don't always handle it well," I told him. "We have both made bad decisions that sometimes got people hurt."

"You just gotta do the best you can. And when that's not enough..."

"You lean on the people around you." I finished for him.

"Oh...you mean you." He said, gesturing between us. Barry laughed.

"Yeah, us, Ralph. Look, we brought you into this because we think that you have the makings of a hero. I mean, I had to be convinced a little bit, but Laura knew it from the get go. She has a tendency of seeing things that others can't, so I trust her." Ralph looked at me. "But we'd both be lying if we said there won't be hard days."

"And when there are, you need someone to turn to. We could be those people...if you want." I spoke up.

"You'd do that for me?"

"I will make it my personal mission to protect your heart." Barry told him, causing them both to laugh and me to smile. "Look, Ralph, I actually think it's great that you're feeling all this stuff. But don't forget: That little girl is gonna be ok. And we got the bad guy."

"Yeah...We got the bad guy." Barry shot Ralph a thumbs up and we all laughed again.

"Well...I think I'm gonna head out. Is thee anything else you need to, you know, talk about?" Barry asked.

"If there is, I think I'm staying, so I can take this one. Go on home." I told him. He nodded, turning and leaving the office. I looked back to Ralph.

"How's the ribs?" He asked. I shrugged.

"It's ok. I mean, every breath is like being stabbed, but you know, it's all good." He nodded. "What did you mean when you said you got by not caring about anyone except...except who?" He shook his head.

 "That's a story for another time. We should get you home, I'm sure you're exhausted with the pain meds and all." 

"Yeah, no kidding." He stood up. 

"Do you need help?" He asked. I nodded. He grabbed my arms and started to pull.

"Nope! Nope, that's not happening, uh-uh." I shook my head, gritting my teeth.

"Sorry, sorry." I shook my head."Would it help if..." He put his hands under my arms and I nodded. He gently lifted me to my feet.

"Thank you." I looked up, just now noticing how close we were. I could feel his breath against my lips, and I noticed his eyes flicked to my mouth for a brief moment before meeting my eyes. I shifted uncomfortably, causing my nose to brush up against his. I froze.

"Um..." I took a step back so that my legs were up against the wall and I was away from Ralph.

"I can fly home. The pain killers helped a lot so I...I'm just gonna...go."

"Oh, ok." I nodded, walking around his desk.

"Goodnight, Ralph."

"Yeah, uh goodnight...Laura." I left his office, shutting the door behind me.

What in the freaking heck was that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 5.2K 85
There was a crime scene for a murder so CSI Barry Allen hurries there but of course being 10 minutes late. At CatCo, Snapper gave one of his reporte...
195K 4.8K 43
Arielle Murray was hit by a wave of dark matter the same night as many other people, including Barry Allen. Not many people know he is the Flash, but...
58.3K 1.1K 43
Book (2) Sequel to my Flash x OC fan-fiction, Be You're Hero. Barry finally popped the question to Ella. They were engaged! But after his father's de...
7.5K 328 22
Ashley was normal. WAS. But that changed 1 year and six months ago. The Flash has saved the city from a black hole but that wasn't what Ashley cared...