Average Joe (2018)

By caleb_stepp2018

Norman Knight is a teenager with a plan: live a normal life. A challenging task when your mom is a supervilla... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Acknowledgments
What Was Supposed to Happen?
Anniversary
Merry Christmas!

16

792 59 11
By caleb_stepp2018

Checking your watch consistently does nothing. Sabrina knew this. Yet she kept doing it. Her watch, a birthday gift from Norman, seemed to irritate her a little, as Sabrina sat there, staring at the secretary.

Sabrina, in some disturbing way, wished she was in a small pit with fire ants than in that tiny, claustrophobic, waiting room. While meetings with her were ordinary, Sabrina still felt nervous. Unlike the other meetings, this one was short notice, and Robson sounded... concerned over the phone. She still remembers her exact words.

"Report to HQ. We have things we need to discuss."

"Can you tell me what about?" Sabrina had asked her.

"I'm afraid not. Report to me at once. We need to talk."

Sabrina wished she was at home. Eating breakfast with Norman, or laying in bed with Cletus, because really, Sabrina had PTA meetings that were more comfortable than visiting Helena Robson.

What Norman, Ted, and many other people did not know was that Sabrina worked for someone. They didn't use her real name, but they called her Oblivion, because little that went up against her survived. Only Sabrina and a few others knew her true identity.

Nobody knows much about Shadow Global, but Sabrina knew that Shadow Global was a painfully obvious evil corporation name, but for some reason the public eye had no idea of the corporation's espionage, embezzlement, and their most popular art form, hiring villains.

"Miss Miller?" Sabrina looked up to see a slim woman standing in the doorway to the waiting room. "Miss Robson will see you now."

Sabrina swallowed hard before walking into the office. Sabrina walked into the well-lit office, the secretary shutting the door behind her. The office chair faced away from Sabrina, and the woman's red hair peaked up from behind.

"Miss Robson," Sabrina announced herself. "Hello." The woman in the chair did not respond. "I have those systematic reports we've discussed. Vixen from the treasury department says..."

"We both know that's not why you're here," the woman's voice was soft and careful.

"Look, I..."

"Sit down, Sabrina." Sabrina sat in the chair facing the polished marble desk. Robson's chair spun forward to face Sabrina, Robson looking as pretty as ever, with blood-red hair that went perfectly with her cobalt eyes, her pale skin looking flawless without one blemish. Robson was the type of woman you would see across the swill of a bar, thinking about talking to her, but this woman would rather kill you than shake your hand.

"I would like you to tell me about the Central Park incident."

"You've read the reports..."

"I have. I wanted to hear it from you."

"Well... as you know, I was at my son's birthday..."

"Norman."

Sabrina paused. Hearing Robson says her son's name sent shivers down her back.

"Yes. I got a message from Samson, he was notifying me about the asset in the museum. I left right away, but someone must have tipped off Red Flame, as he arrived at the same time. I tried to play it off like I was robbing civilians, but Red Flame knows better. He knows I wouldn't do something small like that. I tried to flee, we fought, and I was forced to retreat."

"The reports claim you made Red Flame sign something. What was it?"

"It was... uh... Norman's school papers."

"What about the town hall incident a week after that?" Sabrina wondered why she was being asked these questions but played it off with a smile.

"The asset had been moved to central park, as you know. I was making dinner when I was notified. I left and arrived at central park about thirty minutes later. Someone was waiting for me.

"Let me guess, Red Flame?"

"Yes. Both times he didn't know what I was looking for, but he knew where I'd be."

"Is it possible Norman would be tipping him off?"

"Of course not! Norman doesn't even know where I am most of the time, how would he know where I'm going? Why would he even do such a thing?"

"Maybe he seeks his father's approval? Following in the footsteps of a hero?"

"He wouldn't."

"Then it would appear he either has a tracking device on your suit, or one of our own has betrayed us. Either way, the solution is clear."

"It is?"

"Of course. Kill Red Flame." Sabrina blanched. "Do you have a problem with that?"

Robson already knew the answer.

"Uh... no. Of course not."

But she did. She did, even if she didn't want to admit it.

_________

After getting off the phone with Sandra, Ted grabbed a beer from the fridge and started sipping it. It was around noon, but it was a weekend, and Ted had finished his papers. He was tired, in more ways than one. Who could blame him? He was a part-time teacher, a part-time superhero, and a full-time dad. Speaking of which, something was up with Norman. Norman wasn't one to lie. So whatever happened to him two months ago must've been bad.

Ted rubbed his chin. Norman was only fifteen but it felt like he's been around forever. That's why he could barely remember when Sabrina became pregnant with him. But he could.

_________

August 8th, 2002

Panic filled Ted's chest as he rushed up the staircase leading to the building. The sun's warm, golden, light shone across the concrete steps. Ted was late. Again. This year was his senior year of college, but he's missed so many classes recently because of his two jobs. The problem is, he had yet to find proper armor for his second job, so getting kicked in the jaw by bad guys was a lot more probable.

"Hey, Teddy!" said Melonie, running up the steps towards him. Trailing behind her was a much younger David Mann.

"Hey," Ted replied.

Ted planted a kiss on Melonie's rosy cheek.

"We should get to class," Melonie says. David snatched the cap from Ted's head and ran around the couple in circles.

"Or....," says David. "You guys can skip class and we can go to Sabrina's party!"

Melonie laughed and Ted frowned. While one-night stands were prone to many people in college, Ted was seeing someone, and he didn't want to bring his girlfriend to the house of the girl he slept with a couple of months ago. Ted and Melonie weren't exclusive, but Ted didn't want to have that confrontation.

"That's not a good idea," Ted said.

"Why not?" Says Melonie.

"Because we have class."

"I don't," David smiled. Ted also smiled.

"Well, Melonie and I aren't as lucky to be in a police academy instead of college."

"You're going to a police Academy?" Melonie asked David.

"Yep!" David tossed Ted's cap in the air and caught it. "Can't say my parents were too happy."

Another two college students approached, a pale, dark-haired girl, and a tall, burly man, with shining blonde hair.

"Hey guys," said the girl.

"Hey Melinda," says Melonie. "Hey, Norman."

The blonde man bobbed his head. It was known Ted and Melinda's brother, Norman, was sick. So whenever he showed up everyone seemed to get a little somber.

"We were just heading to Sabrina's party," said Norman.

"Can I come?" David asked them.

"Sure," says Melinda.

"I'm trying to convince Ted to go," Melonie jokes.

"Come with us," Norman smiled.

"We really shouldn't," Ted insisted.

"I'm going!" Pressured Melonie. "With or without you." Sabrina didn't know who Melonie was. So it was probably better that way.

"Then go," Ted smiled. "Hope you have fun."

The four stared at him as he walked to Professor Stanford's class. The last thing Ted needed to hear about was Sabrina Miller. Not only did he sleep with someone besides his girlfriend, but he slept with someone who was supposed to be his mortal enemy.

Speaking of which, as Ted walked into class, Professor Stanford was reading the New York Times, the story on the first page displaying a photo of a man dressed in black and a woman in a hood, battling.

"Red Flame and Cold Front battle in Central Park!" was the headline.

Ted scoffed. Red Flame. Is that what they were calling him? Ted's abilities were pretty reformed, though he wasn't completely in control of them. Controlling fire and heat started simply enough. He started out being able to heat his cup of coffee with a single touch. Then it progressed to being immune to flame.

Ted sat down as several students poured in.

Ted had fallen asleep in class. Again. His eyes slowly became dry and heavy. Eventually, he was planted face-first into his textbook. When he finally awoke the entire class was packing up. As Ted was getting ready to get up, a photo of Melonie fell out of his pocket and landed on his desk. Before he could snatch it up, a pale finger came down and pinned it to the desk.

"Cute girl," said a smooth, familiar, voice. "I know her?" Ted looked up to see a young, attractive girl smiling down at him.

"Aren't you supposed to be at a party?" Sabrina smiled.

"I got bored. Decided to come to see you."

"What do you want, Sabrina?" Ted asked, snatching the photo away.

"I just wanted to talk." Ted stood and started walking.

"Not interested!" He shouted behind him.

Sabrina followed Ted outside.

"Ted, we need to talk!"

Ted laughed and turned to face her.

"We're enemies, Sabrina. Did you think we were just gonna run off into the sunset?"

"Please! You seriously think I'm here because I wuv u?"

"Why are you here, Sabrina?" Just then, Dr. Millard, who ran the campus clinic, approached.

"Sabrina!" He said. "Glad to see you're out and about again!"

"Err, you too, Dr. Millard."

"Are you having any more problems?" Millard asked her. Sabrina blanched and looked at Ted, who had an eyebrow arched in curiosity.

"What problems?" Sabrina asked, playing dumb.

"'What problems'? You know what problems. You told me, you keep getting sick all the time, and you're rapidly gaining weight."

"Dr. Millard, me and Ted have to talk." Dr. Millard nodded.

"Of course. I have a class to teach anyways. But stop by my office if you need me."

"Of course." Millard walked away. Ted stared at Sabrina.

"Sabrina," he said. "you're sick?" Sabrina rolled her eyes.

"No, Ted. I don't have any STDs, how many people do you think I slept with?"

"Who haven't you slept with, let's start there." Sabrina stared at him.

"Sabrina, just tell me what you want?" Asked Ted. Whatever it was, Sabrina looked too scared to admit it. Then it clicked. "Gaining weight? Sick all the time?" Ted pried.

"I'm... I'm pregnant." Ted's skin felt ice cold. His stomach swarmed with nausea, and he became dizzy. All other sounds were blocked out by this... ringing. Ted played it off with a smile.

"Are you kidding me?"

"I wish. I took the test three times, Ted."

"It is not mine..."

"He." Her face burned red. "And as a matter of fact, he is yours. I haven't been with anyone else, Ted." Ted's green eyes became bloodshot as an overwhelming terror came over him.

"What, um... What do you want from me?"

"Look, I don't expect you to be around. But my... financial situation isn't great."

"Well, you're not moving in with me."

"I didn't say I was."

"Look... just... I..."

"I'm not expecting anything from you, Ted. But I grew up with only one parent, and I don't want this baby to go through that." Sabrina walked past Ted and down the steps.

"I just wanted you to know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 2K 26
The story of a guy with extraordinary abilities and extraordinary problems. He meets friends, enemies, and loses a bit of each. I enjoy writing and d...
10.3K 773 35
Seventeen year old Jay Sasaki lives in a world where corporations spend millions of dollars to exploit superpowered children and the media defines go...
139K 10.5K 41
Villains. Heroes. Try as they might, one is always bested by the other, an endless fight without true meaning. We all have to pick our sides, but I t...
37.5K 567 6
[STORY HAS BEEN REBOOTED] Ivy just burned her boarding school to the ground, but that's the least of her problems. People are chasing her, the govern...