The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Forty One

352K 2.4K 378
By LaurenJ22

------------------------------------

Dedication: Sehammmm for being a very awesome and supportive fan. Thank you very much. :)

Hey. Okay, so everyone who keeps commenting, 'is this the end?' - no it isn't. I will state the final chapter when it comes, so don't worry. It's not just going to stop at some random chapter. It'll have, Chapter [such and such] FINAL CHAPTER written on it. Okay, so I hope that clears some things up.

Also, I noticed a few people were pretty happy with Emma standing up for herself.  I just had to get her to hit Britney. It made me feel better.

<3

PHOTO OF DANIEL ON THE SIDE.   ------>>>>

-------------------------------

Warmth washed over me as I hesitantly placed my foot inside Jason's mansion. I peered around, my ears straining for any sounds. Miranda strolled casually from the kitchen and smiled warmly at me in greeting.

"Hello, Emma. Jason's not awake yet."

"Oh okay. I'll go change that," I replied with a smile of my own. I mounted the winding staircase and quietly opened his bedroom door. My stomach did a little jolt when I saw him cocooned in his blankets, his face smooth and relaxed. He just looked so adorable.

I grinned wickedly and pounced. My body slammed on his and he jumped in alarm, a string of curses tumbling out of his mouth. Once he had somewhat recovered, he looked up at me with a frown evident on his face.

"Was that neccassary?" he asked flatly.

I nodded, a slow grin stretching across my face. "Yep."

He rolled his eyes. I found myself straddling him and rested back onto his thighs. I took a moment to drink in his features. His tanned skin and blond, floppy hair contrasted extremely well with each other. His liquid, blue eyes stared brightly back at me. His strong jaw and straight, white teeth stood out when he smiled. I just wanted to melt into a little puddle.

"Get up. You're coming to school." I declared.

"I don't wanna'," he complained moodily, jutting his chin stubbornly, reminding me of a child.

He hadn't attended school since Mark had passed away. Even though he was completely normal now, he couldn't be bothered to go. But since I had stupidly hit one of the most popular girls in school, I needed a body guard.

"Come on. I need someone to protect me."

"Can't we just stay here?" he asked, pouting. "I'd rather just watch movies or something."

"Dad won't let me."

"Your Dad won't know," he challenged, wiggling his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and slapped his bare chest gently. I then pulled back the sheets and nodded, impressed, getting a full view of his defined abs as he didn't sleep with a shirt on.

"Quit being a pervert," he joked. 

"S-sorry," I muttered, heat rising to my cheeks. He chuckled, pulling me down beside him and covering me with his blankets. He pressed his lips to mine, before folding his elbow and resting his head on it.

"Please come with me." 

He was making this way too hard. Of course I just wanted to stay here and be with him. That's all I ever wanted to do. I was so over school. Being with Jason was probably better for me anyway. I wouldn't get mobbed by preppy, popular people.

He groaned, running his other hand over his face. "Why do you do this to me?"

I shrugged in answer.

Grumbling, he slowly rolled out of bed and landed on his feet. He went straight into the bathroom and I heard the water begin to run. I went over to his mirror and double-checked my hair. I was all ready to go. It was just him that was lagging me behind. After a few minutes, he emerged, his wet hair stuck onto his forehead. 

I sat there, legs folded underneath me, on his bed. He dropped his towel and I gasped, slapping my hands to my face with too much force. My face lit up with heat. Oh my goodness! I had just seen him naked!

"Jason!" I cried. 

"What?" he asked innocently.

"I just saw you naked!"

"You liked it." he taunted.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but my face was just turning more red and red by the second. I just wanted to run away and hide. My heart began increasing in pace. I felt like we'd just taken a step up in our relationship.

"I'm dressed now," he stated bluntly. 

I peeked through my fingers and was relieved to see he actually was dressed. I removed my hands from my face and chewed at my lip nervously. Did he want to see me? I almost turned bright red again at the thought.

He watched me in amusement. "You do realise that since you're my girlfriend, you're allowed to see me like that?"

"I-I know," I muttered. "It just took me by surprise."

"Well, what if we try again..."

"Please don't!"

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You're so innocent."

I scowled. "Yes, I know. Everyone seems to be telling me lately."

"Let's go downstairs," he suggested. "I'm hungry."

With his lower arm wrapped around my waist, we made our way down to the kitchen. Soon he'd eaten and packed. We were driving smoothly in his car, towards school. Nerves began to bubble up in my stomach the closer we got. I glanced down, my eyes running over my slightly bruised knuckles. As if he could tell, Jason reached over and gently took my wounded hand in his. I smiled over at him, grateful of his tenderness.

He parked and I slowly got out. I swept my eyes over the area, relief washing through me when I didn't see any of the 'It' crowd lingering nearby. After Jason had lazily slung his arm around my shoulder, we moved towards the school.

Instantly, we ran into Jason's group and they all cheered, coming over to greet him. I shrunk back and just watched, my back against the wall, my eyes darting around everywhere. I was more than glad when the bell rang. I scuttled into class and Jason collapsed in the chair beside me. He rested his forehead on the desk and sighed.

"I don't want to be back."

"I know," I murmured softly, rubbing my hand soothingly along his back. "I'm sorry I made you come. But I'm very grateful."

"No, it's alright. I'd rather know you're okay."

He lifted his head and gave me a brief smile which I found myself returning. Chase strolled passed and gave me an over-dramatic head nod. I rolled my eyes and just smiled back in greeting to him. Even if he did annoy me, I'd always try to remain polite with him.

"Sup babe," he said smoothly.

"Hello, Chase."

Jason's head lifted the entire way and he just stared coolly at him, his face impassive. This just caused Chase to beam brightly at him before strutting away to his seat. Which was conveniently parked right beside mine. Jason's narrowed his eyes, but didn't comment, thankfully. I squeezed his hand and he squeezed back, but never removed his eyes from Chase. I almost laughed. 

Britney chose to enter then and my eyes widened in shock. Her nose was purple and her cheeks blotchy and red. I swallowed, my mouth seeming to go dry. I felt like there wasn't enough oxygen in the classroom suddenly. I began panicking as her eyes narrowed into slits at the sight of me. She took a step towards me and I almost cringed.

Thankfully, the teacher bustled in, muttering something about spilled coffee and Britney removed her eyes from me and sat down. I let out a breath I hadn't realised I was holding.

With twiddling thumbs and apparently irritating foot tapping, I managed to get through the next few lessons without incident. Jason and I had parted ways on sixth period due to different classes. He assured me he'd meet up with me near the Gym though, so that was okay. As long as I wasn't attacked on the way.

I made my way towards the large building, softly whistling to myself when I was shoved to the side. I began stumbling sideways and was pushed back first into the wall. Everything was happening so fast, I couldn't keep up. My head snapped back against the harsh, brick surface. I let out a startled gasp and Daniel stood there, his eyes flashing with anger. His upper lip curled and trembled, as if he was just holding himself together by mere threads. My eyes were wide with fear.

"You think you can come in here, steal Jason from Britney, make her life Hell and then go and hit her? What kind of person are you?" he demanded, punching the brick wall right beside my head. That would have hurt. I shied away from him, whimpering softly. His words then processed in my mind and I lifted my head, meeting his gaze, my anger bubbling to the surface.

"Are. You. Serious?" I ground out. "I began dating Jason because he was available. I think Britney was the one who made my life Hell. I was hospitalised because of her. Because of you. And you're questioning what type of person that I am?"

I took a step towards him and shoved him in the chest roughly, my lips spread into a thin line and my eyes narrowed. Suddenly, I wasn't so scared. I was pissed.

"You have absolutely no right to be saying that to me. Especially when you're the one in the wrong. I think it's about time I go to the Police about you. What's your deal with Britney anyway?" I demanded, poking him so hard I thought I'd broken my finger.

"I think we both know," he said quietly and dangerously. "That we'd both do anything for family."

"F-family?" I asked, stunned, my anger coming to an abrupt halt. "What?"

"You don't know anything!"

"Help me understand then!" I retorted.

His jaw was clenching and unclenching, his fists balled up on his sides. I was shaking. I refused to back down though. I met his gaze, feeling my face turn hot from the tension. The air was thick between us. It was like both of us were daring the other one to speak first.

"You know what?" he asked in a cold, harsh voice. 

I didn't remove my gaze from him once. I tried to calculate what was going on in that big head of his, but I was coming up blank. Swallowing, I responded; "What?"

"Even though you're lower class. You must be good in the sack." his eyes flashed with an emotion I wasn't sure of. They appeared to be a few shades darker then they were a moment ago. I stepped back uneasily, my back meeting the wall yet again.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked in bewilderment, completely confused. "What's a sack?"

He rolled his eyes, chuckling. Slowly he brought his arms up, pressing his palms into the wall. He barricaded me in and I felt my chest begin to rise and fall. My breath was beginning to get hitched in the back of my throat.

He leant in closer to me and my eyebrows furrowed together. He roughly pinned his body against mine and I squeaked in alarm. He thrust his hips towards me, grinding them against me. I cried out in pain, the rough material of his jeans rubbing against my bare skin. He used his hands to press me against the wall and his lips began sucking mine. I almost gagged. I felt like a vacuum had been attached to me. His tongue slipped into my mouth and without further adieu, I bit down. 

"Ack!" he exclaimed, reeling back. Blood began dripping down his lip as he stared at me in shock. I think he was a little stunned I'd be so bold. His shock quickly altered back to his former emotion. "You bitch!"

He latched his fingers around my upper arms and squeezed. I began half-sobbing. I knew his grip would leave me with several bruises. I threw my head forward, clipping his forehead. He ignored that and removed one hand, going down to my waist and slipped his fingers underneath the band.

"Stop it!" I ordered, elbowing him. He grabbed my arms and pinned them over my head he ground his hips on mine again.  The friction of material against my exposed skin hurt more than you'd probably think. "Get off me!"

"What the Hell?" Jason burst out. Daniel dropped his grip instantly and turned to see him. I leant heavily on the side of the Gym, my legs shaking. I could hardly support myself. I hadn't realised how scared I had been. Tears were rolling down my face and my whole body was tembling. I thought I was going to faint again. Jason stormed up to him. I don't think I'd ever seen him look so... murderous. His fists pummelled his face at least three times before I mentally shook myself awake.

I lunged over and ripped Jason off him by the back of his shirt. "Jason!"

"I'm going to kill him!" he cried in outrage. "I swear to God!"

"He's scum," I spat, tugging him back. "He's not worth it."

Jason's hands fell limp  as he failed to lunge at him again, due to my hard grip on him.  "Let's just... let's just go. Please."

I pulled on him, but he didn't budge. The next time I tried, slowly, he began to follow me. We left Daniel, in a crying heap on the ground. I couldn't care less about him right now. I slid into the passenger seat. 

Instead of going to his seat, Jason rounded to me.

Using his thumb, he wiped my tears gently from my cheek. He ran his fingers down my jaw, down my neck and across my shoulder. They trailed down to where my arm was throbbing. He lifted my shirt sleeve and gazed silently at the red marks. Slowly, he brought his lips to it and kissed the sore spot softly.

"Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah..." I stammered, my lips quivering. "I think so."

Jason inhaled deeply, his eyes closed. "Wait here a minute. I'm going to go finish him off."

"Don't!"

He didn't listen to me. He shut the door and locked it. He marched back to where we had just came from. I tried to open the door and almost screamed in rage when I realised he'd put the child lock on. I tried them all  four doors and sagged on the back seat, feeling drained. 

I let myself weep for a few minutes, getting it all out of my system. All my mind could do was repeat what happened, over and over in my mind. It was horrible. Not too long later, I heard the click of the doors unlocking. A cool breeze swept over me and I raised my head.

Jason's hand had blood on it and he grabbed out a dirty towel from underneath his seat. He wiped it clean and sat down, revving up the car.

"What did you do?" I whispered.

He turned, looking at me levelly in the eye.

"He won't be bothering you again."

-----------------------------------

I gazed into the mirror, staring idly at the image that looked back. At least I felt worse then I looked, so I could just pretend I was okay. All I wanted to do was sleep. And shower. And watch Prison Break. And snuggle with Charlie.

I slowly shuffled out of the bathroom to where Jason was sprawled on his bed. He was flexing his fingers back and forth. Bruises and swelling had already formed. 

"You should just stay the night." he suggested yet again. He seemed to not want me to leave his sight. It was like I had a broken arm all over again. I was being treated like I was made of glass.

I exhaled slowly. "I should probably be home though. I barely see Dad anymore."

"Can I stay the night then?"

"That sounds good."

He got up and began throwing some clothes and items into his soccer bag. After finishing up, he swung it on his shoulder and informed Miranda of his plan. With a kiss on her cheek, we left her to continue with her piles of work.

After a comfortable-silent car trip over, we made it my house. I exited the vehicle, seeing an unfamiliar car in the driveway. My stomach seemed to dip and fall into the bottom of my legs. Daniel wasn't here to finish me off, was he?

Jason and I exchanged a brief glance, before trudging towards my house, hand in hand. I opened the door and peered inside. No one came jumping at me, so that was good. Slowly, I crept towards the kitchen. Dad was there, head in hands, crying.

"D-dad?" I stuttered, dropping onto my knees beside him. "What's wrong?"

"I just can't believe it."

"I know," I sighed. He obviously knew about the Daniel thing. "It was really unexpected, but I'm okay."

"She's alive," he breathed.

"I'm sure everything will be - wait, what?"

"Hello, Emma." a familiar voice behind me greeted. 

I slowly turned, seeing my mother, whom smiled warmly back at me.

She had told him.

Ah hell. There goes my quiet evening.

--------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 40.1K 55
♡ Editor's Pick 2020 ♡ When Rachel, who had loved her best friend Lucas since she was a little girl, found out he loved her too, she couldn't be any...
14.8K 1K 57
Even in the darkest moments, the beginnings of love can be found. Jayna Chacon is stuck in a rut. Her job is interesting, but she doesn't have any fr...
6.1K 264 12
Emma can't wait to get to college and leave all of her bitter high school memories behind. Especially the one who broke her heart and made the rest o...
819 71 15
*DISCONTINUED* "Why do you do this?" "Because it takes the pain away." "No it doesn't. It just distracts you. Distracts you from what you're 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘭...