The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Thirty Eight

364K 2.5K 773
By LaurenJ22

--------------------------------------

Dedication: Shivernights for the awesome banner on the side, thank you very much for it.

-----------------------------------------

Knock, knock, knock.

"Go away."

Knock, knock, knock.

"Don't make me tell you again."

 "Just answer the door, speak with me and then I will go away." I rationalised, planting my hands on my hips. It went silent for a few moments, before the door swung open slowly and Luke stood there, glaring at me. His messy blond hair was standing up at odd angles and he had slight bags under his eyes. His upper lip was curled back slightly, clearly showing he was displeased with me. I smiled sweetly at him and battered my eyelashes.

"May I come in?"

"No." he replied shortly, shutting the door in my face. I groaned, banging my fists on it. I began pushing, at the same time he wrenched the door open. I toppled forwards and face planted onto the carpet. I rolled onto my back and gazed up at him, grinning.

"What do you want?" he sighed, running a lazy hand through his hair. He tapped his barefoot  impatiently. I slowly clambered up and met his eye. I took in his features. He looked like crap. Period. He obviously didn't a great sleep last night. Good. He deserved it.

"I would like you to tell me what's going on in that big head of yours." I shrugged, plopping down onto his bed. I patted beside me and smiled up at him. "Come on down."

He frowned at me. "I just want to sleep."

"You can," I pleaded in exasperation. "Just hear me out first. Sit."

He sighed deeply through his nose, but obeyed, thankfully. The bed dipped beside me and a I half-turned, so I was facing him. I met his gaze steadily, wanting to study his reaction to my question.

"Who did you mean when you referred to 'She told me to'?" 

"I'm not supposed to tell you." he admitted, rubbing a hand on the back of his neck. "It's top secret, Emma."

"I'm your sister. You can tell me anything. For Heaven's Sake, you told me you..." I dropped my voice to a mere whisper. "Killed somebody."

"And look how great that turned out." he deadpanned.

"Luke," I warned, my eyes narrowing. "Spit it out."

"No." he replied stubbornly, jutting out his chin like a child. I groaned in frustration and shoved his chest. His fingers enclosed over my wrists and he stared at me coolly.

"Don't."

"Tell me."

"No." he bit out, his grip tightening.

"Why?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. "Are you getting angry, Luke?"

"Don't." he growled. "Don't make me hurt you."

"Would you?" I challenged. "Would you actually hurt me?"

Suddenly I was shoved forcefully back. His elbow was pinning me down. His face was only inches from mine, his eyes flashing with anger. We stayed like that for a few moments. I swallowed, suddenly feeling nervous. Luke was so unpredictable.

"I. Can't. Tell. You."

"Why?" I shouted, trying to get up in his face. I wanted him to be bothered. He might accidentally tip me off. "Why can't you?"

He released his iron-like grip and allowed me to sit up. He walked away from me and yanked his jeans from the top of his cupboard. He disappeared into his adjacant bathroom and appeared moments later. He threw on a t-shirt and stared at me. I met his gaze, standing, reaching my full height. Not that that made much of a difference, I barely came to Luke's shoulders. Similiar to Jason, actually. 

"You know what, I'll do better than tell you." He said, closing the distance between us, making me take a few steps back. "I'll show you."

-----------------------------

"Where are you two going?" Dad asked curiously as I trailed behind Luke. He bit off a chunk of toast and lazily flicked through a few more pages of the newspaper. I looked at Luke expectantly, awaiting for him to answer, seeings as I was unsure of where exactly we were going. He refused to tell me. Stubborn brat.

"For a run," he replied breezily. It almost scared me how easily he could lie. It made me think how much he has lied to me over the years. Maybe I don't even know him at all.

Dad choked on his toast and thumped his chest. His eyes widened as he gawked at me. After he had recovered, his smirked at me, amusement clear in his eyes. "Emma? You're going for a run?"

"Shut up," I muttered, ducking my head, glueing my eyes to the floor. I can't look people in the eyes when I lie. I crumble way too easily. "I can run."

"Last time you vowed to never go with him again."

"Well..." I trailed off awkwardly, hating the fact that I was lying to him. I was always a terrible liar. Except that fluke of a time in the hospital with Mark. I still do not know how I pulled that off. I'm quite proud, actually. "I thought I'd test it out again. I'm feeling fitter this time."

He snorted. "Good luck then."

I pursed my lips at him. "Thank you for your support."

He rolled his eyes. "Anytime."

I grabbed an apple from the counter fruit bowl. I glanced down, hoping my clothing choice was appropriate. I was just wearing a turquoise knit-jumper and some light coloured jeans. I had my snug, grey boots on. My hair was twisting down my back in curls and I didn't bother applying make-up on. I reached for my black coat and hung it lazily over my lower arm. I planted a kiss on Dad's cheek before departing.

"I'm going to walk to John's place and get his car. He said I can use it whenever I want." Luke explained and began to walk in the opposite direction to which I had planned. I hadn't even thought about transportation, seeings as Luke's car was, 'getting fixed'.

"Okay. Can I go to Mel's while I wait?" I asked.

"Sure."

I took off without another word and found myself at Mel's door in mere minutes. With no knock neccessary, I stepped inside, suddenly engulfed with warmth. I shrugged off my coat and slipped out of my boots. I placed them by the front door and wound up the stairs. I gently knocked before opening the door. She was lying in her bed, scrolling on her phone. I settled down beside her.

"Hello," she said absently. "Facebook fight."

"Ooh!" I said, my ears perking up. "Between?"

"Rose and Jamie."

"Excellent," I grinned, sidling closer for a better look.

It was horrible that I enjoyed fueds between the 'It' crowds, but hey. I wasn't purely good. We silently read the one hundred and thirty comments. I couldn't help giggle and roll my eyes numerous times. Girls fought over the most ridiculous things. It was rather amusing, I must say.

"So." she said, locking her iPhone and placing it on the night stand beside her. "What's the hap?"

I opened my mouth to explain, but she gasped. "When did you get your cast off?"

"Uhm..." I looked down at my non-fleuro arm. "Couple of days ago. Sorry, I've been with Jason a lot. I haven't had time to come see you."

"Shame on you." she frowned, shaking her head. "Some best friend you are."

"Sorry," I mumbled, ducking my head.

She squeezed my shoulder. "So, what were you gonna' say?"

"I have some major news." I said slowly, my good mood at seeing her dropping lower and lower. I really, really didn't want to burden her with this, but she was my best-friend. Also, she was on and off with Luke all the time, so she definitely had a right to know. It was just admitting it to her, would be the hard part. Even though it technically shouldn't be me telling her.

"What now?" she asked with a frown, facing me.

"LukewastheonewhohitMarkMayorandnowheistakingmetothepersonwhotoldhimtodoit."

She blinked a few times at me. "What now?"

I took in a deep breath and re-explained the entire thing, with a bit more detail this time. Her mouth was hanging open and her eyes bulging. Literally. Her eyes glistened with moisture. She opened and closed her moth a few times, before she actually formed a sentence.

"You're joking..."

"Afraid not."

"Oh my God." She said, burying her face in her hands. "This can't be happening! Not Luke!"

"I know." I said, patting her back soothingly. "It's really hard to believe."

"Who would tell him to do such a thing?" She sniffled, tears flowing down her face.

"No idea," I shrugged. "But I'm going to find out."

There was a knock. Speak of the Devil. Luke poked his head in and his smile instantly dropped. He stepped inside the room and gently shut the door. I didn't need to communicate words with him, to let him know the cat was out of the bag.

"Uh, Mel. I can explain..." he began but she shot up out of the bed and moved faster than I could keep up with. I heard a sickening crack as her hand made contact with his cheek. She pummelled her fists against his chest. He grabbed her arms and she broke down in tears. "Mel..."

"How could you." she whispered brokenly. "How could you do something like that?"

"You don't understand." he said in a rushed tone. "If you knew the stuff he threatened my family with-"

"I know!" she shrieked. "I know everything you idiot!"

"Ah..." 

"Do you think that gives you an excuse to do something like that? Do you?"

"He was a bad man." he said quietly, as if that meant it was okay to have performed such a task. I shook my head in disgust. I couldn't believe my brother could do something like this. It made me question a lot more in the world now. 

She stepped away from, yanking her arms from his capture. She wiped at her face furiously. I felt like an intruder being here, but yet, I couldn't make myself leave. I sat in silence, afraid to speak. Afraid to interrupt.

"Get out." 

"Mel..."

"Get the Hell out of my house or so help me God," she threatened.

She death-glared him and he backed back, hitting the edge of the doorway. His eyes darted to me, before turning and leaving. I bit my lip and watched her. Her chest as rising and falling, matching her short breath intakes. She slowly turned towards me.

"I'm sorry I had to tell you." I whispered, afraid to speak any louder. I had a feeling she could blow any minute and I did not want to witness it.

"I'm glad you did." she replied flatly. "I'm going to go back to bed now."

"Is there anything I can get for you...?"

"No," she snapped. I stiffened at the sound of her hashness and her voice softened. "Thanks, though."

I nodded once and departed. I exited the house, shrugging my coat on. Luke stood there, arms folded, staring. "You just had to tell her."

"Get over yourself." I spat. "You're lucky I didn't tell the Police. A good person would have."

"A good person would have kept quiet, in order to save their brother."

"Are you worthy of being saved?" I questioned, coming to a stop. He didn't make an attempt to answer me, so I continued. "You're the one who started this whole mess anyway."

"No. You did. When you hooked up with one of the golden boys."

"Shut up!" I cried, socking him in the shoulder. "Just shut it, okay? Don't you dare blame your murder on me. Ugh, let's just go."

It hurt to think. I wanted to just take a sleeping pill and sleep for the rest of the year. I knew that was slightly impossible though. Unfortunately.

His jaw tensed and began clicking. He stomped towards the car and I got in, slamming the door with unneccessary force. I folded my arms defensively across my chest and glared out the window, feeling like a five year old. I didn't care though. I was angry.

"You need to mentally prepare yourself for this," Luke warned.

"Why?" I snapped.

He didn't reply. I began getting nervous. Did I even want to meet this person? This monster? I began drumming my legs. I chewed at my bottom lip. I jumped when my phone vibrated. I fished it out of my pocket and squinted at the screen. It was Jason.

' Hey Babe. What are you doing today? '

I didn't feel like explaining it again, but I thought I may aswell. I typed away, explaining exactly where I was going and why. Well, not exactly, because I didn't know. Really, I just said I was on the way to meet this mysterious somebody. After a few seconds, I got a reply. I opened it and began to read.

' What!? I should be with you! What if it is dangerous? You have no idea what loony he could be taking you to! What are you thinking? '

I frowned, furrowing my eyebrows together. His over-protectiveness was unappreciated right now. I sighed. He was just trying to look out for me. I was just in a grouchy mood.

' It's my Brother. He isn't crazy. Well... anyway. It was sort of a last minute thing. I'll explain everything later. I'll come by yours this afternoon. X '

I turned my phone off and jammed it in my pocket. I glanced over to Luke who was staring back at me, eyebrows raised. I ignored him and looked out the window again. I wanted to just get this over and done with.

"So why do you need to show me? Why can't you just tell me?"

"I'd rather her tell you."

I sighed at his evasiveness

It was silent. I turned the radio up, in hopes that it would distract my worrying brain. I was beginning to get really nervous. I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and worked on relaxing my breathing. It was over an hour into the drive until I broke.

"Okay, where are you taking me?" I demanded.

"You'll see."

"How long until we get there?"

No reply.

I thumped my fist onto the dashboard. "Luke Ross you answer me right now or I'm ringing the cops and saying you abducted me."

"You wouldn't do that." he stated calmly.

"Okay." I challenged. 

I grabbed my phone out and pretended to diall. 

"Seriously?" he asked. 

Suddenly, he slammed on the break and I flew forwards, my forehead smacking against the dashboard. A scream escaped my throat as my seatbelt dug into my skin painfully. I slowly sat back, my heart beat pulsing in my ears.

"What was that for!?" I exclaimed. 

I wrenched the door open and got out of the car. Luke did the same. He stormed around the car and I began backing up. My head throbbed, but I tried to push the pain away. He looked me in the eye. Anger flashed through them and I suddenly felt afraid. I didn't even know what he was capable of doing. He did murder somebody.

"Give me your phone."

"N-no!" I stammered.

"Pass. It. Over. Now."

With trembling hands, I threw my phone at him. He glanced at the screen with an emotionless expression. "It's turned off."

"Do you really think I'd call the cops on you?" I asked in exasperation.

He put my phone in his pocket. "I know now. Get in."

I felt like running, but:

1) I didn't know where I was.

2) I didn't have my phone to call for help.

3) He could outrun me and wouldn't break a sweat catching me.

With a defeated sigh, I nodded and climbed back into the burrowed car. My shoulders were slumped as I rested my forehead on the window pane. It was silent for roughly about twenty minutes before he looked over at me.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I just panicked."

"It's okay."

"No it's not," he said quietly. "Your my sister. I shouldn't speak to you like that."

I shrugged it off, even though I felt touched at his apology. I turned up the music and rested my head back, gazing out the window. I sigh escaped my lips. I closed my eyes. I'll just rest them for a few moments...

-----------------------

"Emma, we're here."

I slowly opened my eyes and stretched. I unsapped my seatbelt and drank in my surroundings. It was a shed, out in the middle of nowhere. With fumbling hands, I managed to open the car door. I stumbled out, my eyes wide, taking in everything.

Including the barb wired fence, the rusty tin lying around and someone's back to me. I squinted at the figure. She was tall, thin and tanned, from what I could see. She had long, blonde hair spiralling down her back, resting on the borderline of her waist. I stared in awe. Her hair was amazing. I wanted mine that long.

"Come on," he nudged me. I jumped in alarm, almost forgetting the reason why I was here. I nodded and walked with him. We stopped a few metres away. She hadn't turned around yet, but I'm sure she knew we had arrived.

"Beautiful day." she spoke, her voice echoing around. I stared at her in surprise. That voice... something about it. It was familiar, yet again not. I looked at Luke in question, but his gaze was unwavering and set forward. I would get no help from him. Like usual.

"She's here." he stated. "She deserves the truth."

"That she does," the lady agreed, shifting her stance slightly. "I should have told her from the start."

"I did say that..." Luke trailed off.

"Emma," she said. My name sounded so comforting when she said it. The way she spoke it, I mean. It was so familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"Y-yes?" I stammered, intrigued.

She turned facing me. "Hi, honey."

Oh. My. Goodness.

I blinked several times. I even pinched myself. This just had to be a dream. This stuff truly didn't happen in real life. This stuff was made up for Hollywood movies. Okay, it was unbelievable I had began dating Jason, but you know, that stuff can happen I guess. Well, obviously. But this... No. This couldn't be. 

She smiled warmly at me and nodded, as if guessing my thoughts. I just couldn't comprehend this. She couldn't be standing here right now...

"Mum?"

------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 62 33
"You're right. I'm sorry........ Let me make it up to you. How does dinner sound?" He ask charmingly. Is this guy being serious right now? Is he actu...
2.4K 179 22
**THE ORIGINAL EMMALINE - BUT WATTPAD TOOK IT DOWN AND REMOVED MY ACCOUNT ** Emmaline Black is no stranger to abuse, or to torture of any kind from h...
948K 22.3K 60
| completed | HIGHEST ACHIEVEMENT: #10 IN TEEN FICTION. #5 IN TOMBOY When your family is a dozen football players, loyalty runs deep and ties are...
34 0 8
9 broken people, 9 broken romances and friendships. Secrets are spilled, romances are fixed, betrayals take place all for it finally reveal the ultim...